Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a graduate of Chemical Engineering with an experience of 11 years. My experience resides above the level from a standard chemical engineer jobs as stated in the ANZSCO codes. I do utilize chemical engineering concepts ranging from heat & mass balances, thermal calculations, process control etc. to incorporate them in the software (like Hysys) which once ready, are installed at customer’s plant site by the software engineers. I then evaluate those calculations from real plant data and close the project once customer gives approval on calculations. But if we specifically consider ANZSCO code, there are not much tasks matching with my experience because ANZSCO just covers tasks for a typical chemical engineer who works directly at the plant and involve in daily plant operations job.

I am confused as I wanted to be assessed as a Chemical Engineer (233111) but despite I have the expertise of my this field, ANZSCO does not cover much it in their definition. Chemical engineers have majorly three types of job responsibilities;

- Type-1 Running Plant Operations (typical job of chemical engineer): this utilizes chemical engineering knowledge to smooth running of the already running plant or to vet the specs provided by type-2 chemical engineers for new plant erections.

- Type-2 Plant Design (or Process/Equipment design): this domain utilizes chemical engineering knowledge to actually design or create the specs for the plant/equipment and/or process of manufacturing any product. This design is then erected and installed and then type-1 chemical engineers run these plants for smooth operations.

- Type-3 Engineering System Design (for all of the above): this domain utilizes chemical engineering knowledge to design an engineering software along with other control systems, hardware. The engineering software will have all the conceptual knowledge of chemical engineering, all the laws and relations for heat transfer, solids, liquid and gases. All this to optimize the plant, increase efficiency & production, reduce costs and many more that a human can’t do at single instant.

I fall in type-3 and you see this is very advanced level of chemical engineering. This is why I am concerned with what the details ANZSCO gives for chemical engineers. I have tried to get the information from Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) for 233111 chemical engineer but their reply was not helping.

I am confused what ANZSCO should I consider now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have got my CDR approved last month. Thank you everyone who helped me achieve that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check your outcome. If EA has considered your experience then you can also claim points for those experience in your EOI too.

If still unsure then go for relevant skilled employment assessment by EA.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check your outcome. If EA has considered your experience then you can also claim points for those experience in your EOI too.

If still unsure then go for relevant skilled employment assessment by EA.
Sorry ignore it, I responded to your query dated August 2017.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how should we move forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry Gaurav, I was away for quite a while. Have you done your CDR yet? If not just let me know at which stage you are standing?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I was going through some career episode writing tips and I came across your problem with regards to the definition of Chemical Engineer based on ANZSCO. I think I might have the same problem here. I never even thought about that. I have a similar work experience as you, but not quite. I am also a chemical engineer but most or all of my experience so far involves the use of an optimization software. Basically it simulates plant production but from time to time I would also deal with other chemical engineering concepts as I am working in a plant but not unlike the definition stated in Anzsco. I mostly do analyses and application of data to come up with a strategy or decision. So I wonder how did you go about this issue? Still pushed thru with chemical engineer or technologist as suggested by others???

Thanks a lot and hope you would reply.

Please feel free to email me here:

<SNIP> See "Inappropriate content", here: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/ex...-please-read-before-posting.html#post13155594 kaju/moderator
Best regards.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its Done

Sorry Gaurav, I was away for quite a while. Have you done your CDR yet? If not just let me know at which stage you are standing?
yes submitted and received a positive assessment outcome last month. Thanks :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a graduate of Chemical Engineering with an experience of 11 years. My experience resides above the level from a standard chemical engineer jobs as stated in the ANZSCO codes. I do utilize chemical engineering concepts ranging from heat & mass balances, thermal calculations, process control etc. to incorporate them in the software (like Hysys) which once ready, are installed at customer’s plant site by the software engineers. I then evaluate those calculations from real plant data and close the project once customer gives approval on calculations. But if we specifically consider ANZSCO code, there are not much tasks matching with my experience because ANZSCO just covers tasks for a typical chemical engineer who works directly at the plant and involve in daily plant operations job.

I am confused as I wanted to be assessed as a Chemical Engineer (233111) but despite I have the expertise of my this field, ANZSCO does not cover much it in their definition. Chemical engineers have majorly three types of job responsibilities;

- Type-1 Running Plant Operations (typical job of chemical engineer): this utilizes chemical engineering knowledge to smooth running of the already running plant or to vet the specs provided by type-2 chemical engineers for new plant erections.

- Type-2 Plant Design (or Process/Equipment design): this domain utilizes chemical engineering knowledge to actually design or create the specs for the plant/equipment and/or process of manufacturing any product. This design is then erected and installed and then type-1 chemical engineers run these plants for smooth operations.

- Type-3 Engineering System Design (for all of the above): this domain utilizes chemical engineering knowledge to design an engineering software along with other control systems, hardware. The engineering software will have all the conceptual knowledge of chemical engineering, all the laws and relations for heat transfer, solids, liquid and gases. All this to optimize the plant, increase efficiency & production, reduce costs and many more that a human can’t do at single instant.

I fall in type-3 and you see this is very advanced level of chemical engineering. This is why I am concerned with what the details ANZSCO gives for chemical engineers. I have tried to get the information from Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) for 233111 chemical engineer but their reply was not helping.

I am confused what ANZSCO should I consider now.
Hello,
My name is kartik. I am a chemical engineer and i need some assistance on preparing my CDR. can i get some help on preparing my CDR?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello,
My name is kartik. I am a chemical engineer and i need some assistance on preparing my CDR. can i get some help on preparing my CDR?
Let me know how can I help you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts