Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Roselle. I have filipino nationality and a british residence card as my husband is a spaniard working in UK. We both live in UK but soon my husband will have to move to france because of work. I know that I'm allowed to travel with him and stay there for 3 months as a tourist. My question is what should I do to stay longer and work there. Should I travel with him as a tourist and then ask for a residence card once there, or should I ask for a EU family permit in the french consulate as I did before coming to UK?

·
Administrator
50,453 Posts
You got it right the first time: Travel with your husband to France as a "tourist" on a 3 month Schengen visa (I'm not sure if traveling on your British residence card is adequate, but as long as you enter France legally you're OK). Within the term of your "tourist" stay, you must apply for a carte de séjour as the spouse of an EU national. Generally, you'll have to produce documentation regarding your identity and nationality, your husband's identity and "statut" (i.e. what is he doing in France) and proof of the marriage. He'll have to show that he has a residence in France and that both of you have health insurance coverage.

Once you have the carte de séjour (i.e. residence permit) you're entitled to all the same rights and privileges as your EU national hubby, including the right to work.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. As I was searching about how to register and what requirements do we need to meet in order to obtain a carte de sejour. I've encountered this website of European Commission which states: France

"Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country – France

You must provide the following documents the first time you apply for a residence permit:

- a valid passport
- proof of your family links with an EU citizen (e.g. an official document comparable to the French family record book, known as the livret de famille.)
- a document or documents proving that the EU citizen you are accompanying or have joined has the right to live in France (e.g. employment contract, proof of financial resources)
- 3 photos"

The health insurance coverage wasn't mentioned in the requirements. Or they've added new requirements?

·
Administrator
50,453 Posts
The health insurance requirement is a basic requirement of living in France. Eligibility for the national health care scheme is based on having paid into the social insurance system to a minimum extent (usually, 3 months' worth of contributions based on a job, or a certain minimum amount based on self-employment). If you aren't eligible based on employment, you must have private coverage.

I think this is based on the EU regulations that say that you must be able to show that you won't be a burden on the public benefit system.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts