Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a German citizen currently living in the US. My wife and i are moving to England soon. I applied for a job in Newcastle, and they gave me a conditional job offer a few weeks ago. Now they're saying they can't do the background checks or hire me without an NI number, which I don't have because I've never lived in the UK before.

Is there any way to get an NI number while living abroad? And about how long does it take to get one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
No you can't get one while abroad.

Go to your local Jobs Centre or Social Security office when you arrive in UK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No you can't get one while abroad.

Go to your local Jobs Centre or Social Security office when you arrive in UK.

Is it true that this company is unable to process my background check without the NI number? It seems off, because I know I can legally start work without one as long as I apply for one as soon as I get to the UK.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Is it true that this company is unable to process my background check without the NI number? It seems off, because I know I can legally start work without one as long as I apply for one as soon as I get to the UK.

Don't see why they need an NI number in order to do background checks. Would make it easier I suppose but without it its not impossible.

·
Registered
39,127 Posts
What sort of background check? If it's DBS check to do with criminal records, it will reveal nothing as you have never lived in UK. So you need to get criminal record check done where you've lived in the past 5 years, such as FBI rap sheet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What sort of background check? If it's DBS check to do with criminal records, it will reveal nothing as you have never lived in UK. So you need to get criminal record check done where you've lived in the past 5 years, such as FBI rap sheet.

They said they'd do a local background check (which will reveal nothing) and I have to pay for a US background check. But they refuse to proceed without the NI number so I'm stuck.

·
Registered
39,127 Posts
Just explain to them that since you've never lived and worked in UK, you don't have NI number, but you will get one as soon as you arrive in UK. I'm surprised they don't know such basic fact about NINo. Are they a UK firm?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just explain to them that since you've never lived and worked in UK, you don't have NI number, but you will get one as soon as you arrive in UK. I'm surprised they don't know such basic fact about NINo. Are they a UK firm?

I tried that but they still said no. I'm going to call tomorrow when they're open again and see if I can talk to someone else. This is one of the largest airlines in the world so I would think they would know the laws. Lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.