Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I sent my OFII papers for the appointment for validation of my vie famille privee visa over 3 weeks ago. I never got any letter saying they were received. Ive sent an email to the OFII now and Ive tried calling numerous times with out any luck getting through. I am worried my letter was lost in the mail :( Has this happened to anyone? I realize they might be backed up but I need to at least know if they received my letter! Where should I go from here? I am trying to be proactive in case it was in fact lost. I stupidly did not certify the letter. Le sigh.....

·
Administrator
51,543 Posts
Not sure, but I don't believe they generally confirm receipt of your papers like that. It can take up to two or 3 months to get an appointment, so 3 weeks is nothing. (This is one of those things you just have to get used to about living in France.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yea, to them three weeks is considered no time at all... I'm going on month 4 and still haven't received an appointment to get my carte de sejour..

Happy waiting! :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Last year it took 2.5 months to get my letter, a friend I met in the area waited 4 months. We got our letters the same day, with our appointments scheduled for Friday of the following week. So expect to wait and then to jump! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh okay thanks everyone. I thought they sent you a letter right away notifying that they at least received it. If it takes longer than 3 months isn't that problematic since you have only a 3 month window to send everything in anyway?

·
Administrator
51,543 Posts
No, not really problematic at all - though it takes a while to get with the "rhythm" of life here in France.

You are supposed to send in your paperwork within your first three months here in France. That's done. They'll give you an appointment when they can and it's at that appointment that you'll get your titre de séjour (i.e. resident permit). However, between now and then, chances are you won't need to show anything concerning your stay to anyone, so it's no biggie. If they want i.d., you show them your passport.

If nothing else, you develop patience when you move to France. (Or else you go nuts.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
One thing Americans learn in France is the hurry up and wait mentality. At times it is a hard pill to swallow. My OFII letter took at least two months and the appointment was two to three weeks later. All the best and warm regards!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I know what the OP is talking about though. On the form it says you must send it within the first few days, then you'll get a note from the OFII confirming it, and THEN some weeks later you'll get your appointment card from them.

But, from the people who've actually gone through it -- it sounds like it's not the end of the world and could go on past 3 months. I mean, I guess by then it's on them, n'est-ce pas?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
When I first arrived in France, part of my self education in life here compared to the USA was how things are differently. I am still impressed by things after nearly four years. Examples of this include medical information sharing, medical care, sending bills for the phones, EDF and so on via email. Smart people have found ways to save money and resources. And yes, you can receive your bills back in the US by email as well. Impressive!

Although some folks might not have access to computers or even an email account, the nice folks at OFII might want to consider sending out notices of receipt via email. Just my humble thoughts! Warm regards!

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I'm sure you are all aware that there is a major simplification process going on in France aimed at speeding up the administrative processes and enabling people to do much more on line. Some of the changes have already been introduced, others are scheduled. I don't remember seeing mention of OFII (and perhaps it's not considered a priority), but I'm pretty sure that within a few years most of the admin will be done online. This is a huge change for France, especially as it requires integration of different systems, but it looks to me like they are taking a major leap forward and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up surpassing some or our 'home' countries in some aspects.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts