Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i want to move to cyprus,i have a wife and five kids and am living on benefits.im hoping to move in the next eight weeks but i dont know were to go when i get there i dont have any place to stay or how to apply for a house ,i dont want my family arriving in cyprus and living on the streets can anybody help me or give me advice:mad:

·
Registered
67 Posts
best advice is to stay put. from what I understand you wont be entitled to any benefit in cyprus. reading other posts on this forum i have come to the conclusion the only benefit to brits in cyprus is the weather with a family to support without a very well paid job you will not survive please please think very hard and read some of the responses and messages left on this subject
good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
thanks for your replie but i have to do something
deks has given you the best advice available. Do not even think about coming here unless you have a very very well paid job to come to.
Cypriot families are struggling to get the benefits they need to make ends meet if the breadwinner loses their job. Without having ever contributed to the social fund you will not be entitled to benefits and with 5 children you would need to be earning megabucks to afford to live.

Veronica

·
Registered
587 Posts
Benefits

hi i want to move to cyprus,i have a wife and five kids and am living on benefits.im hoping to move in the next eight weeks but i dont know were to go when i get there i dont have any place to stay or how to apply for a house ,i dont want my family arriving in cyprus and living on the streets can anybody help me or give me advice:mad:
Whilst some UK benefits are transferable across the EU, most are not. As an earlier poster noted, unless you have paid into the social fund, here, you are not entitled to Cypriot State benefits. Child benefits here just about pay for a supply of pampers and doesn't cover the basics by any stretch of the imagination. It is a real struggle to raise children here outside the family network. Unless you or your partner have Cypriot heritage or connections and are familiar with the local customs, red tape and language, I would heed the advice you've received so far - you would need to be earning a small fortune to raise five children in Cyprus. The UK has many faults, but the Social Security system is not one of them. I can't think of a better place to raise a large family if you need extra state help. The Cypriot system pales by comparison, there is little social housing, very few old peoples' homes, hardly any capacity at all to deal with disabilities before we even move onto the host of other services that the UK boasts. But Cyprus only has a working population of a few hundred thousand, so it's hardly surprising that they struggle to raise the funds for the relatively poor system that is in place. In the UK ther is a population of 10s of millions capable of paying into the fund, and a government commitment to providing state care - that commitment simply does not exist here as the family unit is still incredibly strong here (and long may it continue to be so).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.