Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends,

I'm confused with the points calculation . Can someone please guide me on this?

I have 6 years 8 months of relevant xperience and i'm planning to apply for 189 class visa. I come from mechanical engineering background and hence 4 years would be taken out from ACS skill assessment and hence I would not get any points from work experience.

Excluding my experience I have got 65 points . Can I go ahead with mentioning 70 in my profile as it would take a while before receiving the invitation and so the 5 points would get added by Feb-2018 or will there be a problem if I make it up to 70?

If I apply with 65 , will they make it up to 70 when it becomes 3 years of my work experience in Feb-2018. I'm about to send my documents for skill assessment.

Appreciate your time and help :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a response from ACS that people with non Computer Science degree need to apply RPL or else they may not valuate your experience.
Also, education may have to evaluated seperately, as ACS does not evaluate Mechanical degree.

This is all the info i could gather, hope someone who has gone through the process can comment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a response from ACS that people with non Computer Science degree need to apply RPL or else they may not valuate your experience.
Also, education may have to evaluated seperately, as ACS does not evaluate Mechanical degree.

This is all the info i could gather, hope someone who has gone through the process can comment.
Do you mean that I cannot apply for Software engineer with a mechanical engineering degree?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Praneethtp,

Mechanical degree is not an ict major degree so you will have to go via RPL route. As far as i know, 6 years will be deducted if you have work exp relevant to the ANZSCO code. So effectively only 8 months may be considered fit to claim and that will fetch you 0 points for work exp.

Without an assessment from ACS you should never submit EOI.

Hi Friends,

I have 6 years 8 months of relevant xperience and i'm planning to apply for 189 class visa. I come from mechanical engineering background and hence 4 years would be taken out from ACS skill assessment and hence I would not get any points from work experience.

Excluding my experience I have got 65 points . Can I go ahead with mentioning 70 in my profile as it would take a while before receiving the invitation and so the 5 points would get added by Feb-2018 or will there be a problem if I make it up to 70?

If I apply with 65 , will they make it up to 70 when it becomes 3 years of my work experience in Feb-2018. I'm about to send my documents for skill assessment.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
You are misinformed about 4 years deduction. The deduction will be 6 years for any occupation assessed by ACS because of your mechanical engineering.

As for your other question about claiming 70 points ahead of becoming eligible- you cannot do that. It would count as you having overclaimed points, jumped the queue, and can result in visa refusal. Moreover, it won't be possible technically either because you don't really "claim" points but rather you input your employment dates and other details and the system automatically awards you the right amount of points based on your inputs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Praneethtp,

Mechanical degree is not an ict major degree so you will have to go via RPL route. As far as i know, 6 years will be deducted if you have work exp relevant to the ANZSCO code. So effectively only 8 months may be considered fit to claim and that will fetch you 0 points for work exp.

Without an assessment from ACS you should never submit EOI.
Hi, so someone with a mechanical engineering background should go through a different process if he/she is applying for software engineer category?

If that is the case, could you please guide me through any link and process?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi, so someone with a mechanical engineering background should go through a different process if he/she is applying for software engineer category?

If that is the case, could you please guide me through any link and process?

Thank you :)
Hi,

Are you working as a Software Engineer. If you posses a Mech Eng degree and working as a Software Engineer, ACS would indeed deduct your points as it is not an ICT degree.

If you are working as a Mech Eng, you can refer to https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/For-Migrants/Migration-Skills-Assessment for more details.

Thanks
Siva

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Hi Friends,

i am not an expert but i have seen ppl with mechanical engg in IT field get deduction of 6 years

first and foremost get through with skill assessment, thereafter file EOI

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm an Electronics and Communication engineer and have an experience of 5.8 years.
I don't want to claim for points. But can I apply for Software Engineer?

My education can be considered as ICT minor and they will deduct 4 years?

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I'm an Electronics and Communication engineer and have an experience of 5.8 years.
I don't want to claim for points. But can I apply for Software Engineer?

My education can be considered as ICT minor and they will deduct 4 years?
The years they deduct should be from "relevant" work experience. Is your 5.8 years of work experience closely related to software engineering?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The years they deduct should be from "relevant" work experience. Is your 5.8 years of work experience closely related to software engineering?

In engineering I had subjects like C language, DSA , RDBMS and few others.
I have total experience of 5.8 years in IT industry as a software developer. I have applied for ACS without RPL for Software Engineer.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
In engineering I had subjects like C language, DSA , RDBMS and few others.
I have total experience of 5.8 years in IT industry as a software developer. I have applied for ACS without RPL for Software Engineer.
all good then. You'll get a positive assessment after 4 years deduction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
all good then. You'll get a positive assessment after 4 years deduction.
Thanks very much for confirming, it eased my tension.

Also if you could suggest on below.
1. Now I have 65 points(age 30, edu 15, PTE 20 = 65) should I apply EOI for 189 or 190?
2. Can I apply for both in same EOI request.
3. I think I will not get any points for my experience and if I dont want to claim for points no need of extra documents.
4. I was unable to get Experience letter from HR so I went with SD from my senior.
only 1 concern that for first 2 years she was not in my team but after that we are in same team. She has declared for whole duration. Will there be any issue?

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Thanks very much for confirming, it eased my tension.

Also if you could suggest on below.
1. Now I have 65 points(age 30, edu 15, PTE 20 = 65) should I apply EOI for 189 or 190?
2. Can I apply for both in same EOI request.
3. I think I will not get any points for my experience and if I dont want to claim for points no need of extra documents.
4. I was unable to get Experience letter from HR so I went with SD from my senior.
only 1 concern that for first 2 years she was not in my team but after that we are in same team. She has declared for whole duration. Will there be any issue?

Thanks again. :)
1. Apply for both because with 65, the wait is going to be too long for 189.
2. Yes, you can.
3. Correct.
4. SD is a legal, sworn declaration document. Your colleague was wrong to put false statements about knowing your skills and responsibilities during a period when she was not even working with you. You should get 2 (or more) SDs in this case and from the right people who worked with you and/ or directly supervised your work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts