Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I need some help

Myself and my partner would love to move to Australia, we have recently married and have previously travelled to Australia and we want to make the big leap to start a new life there.

Im 29 and currently work in Freight Forwarding however I have a good Knowledge in IT and want to train to be a Systems Analyst.

We have looked into applying for a Study Visa however I have noticed that on the Skills requirement list that all Information Technology is governed by the ACS.

I will be starting from scratch to train however I have noticed that most ACS courses take 3 - 4 years to complete.

Has anyone had any experience studying for IT in Australia on a Study Visa and if so has anyone applied for a perminant residency after completing there Studies.

Also in regards to using the study Visa to gain perminant residency, once I have qualified and my Visa is due to expire is there a certain type of Visa that I will need to apply for to prolong my stay in Australia whilst my Skilled Visa application is going through. Or is it that because I have applied for a skilled Visa whilst in Australia I am then automatically allowed to stay whilst the Visa is being assessed.

Thanks & Best Rgds

Lee

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi Everyone

I need some help

Myself and my partner would love to move to Australia, we have recently married and have previously travelled to Australia and we want to make the big leap to start a new life there.

Im 29 and currently work in Freight Forwarding however I have a good Knowledge in IT and want to train to be a Systems Analyst.

We have looked into applying for a Study Visa however I have noticed that on the Skills requirement list that all Information Technology is governed by the ACS.

I will be starting from scratch to train however I have noticed that most ACS courses take 3 - 4 years to complete.

Has anyone had any experience studying for IT in Australia on a Study Visa and if so has anyone applied for a perminant residency after completing there Studies.

Also in regards to using the study Visa to gain perminant residency, once I have qualified and my Visa is due to expire is there a certain type of Visa that I will need to apply for to prolong my stay in Australia whilst my Skilled Visa application is going through. Or is it that because I have applied for a skilled Visa whilst in Australia I am then automatically allowed to stay whilst the Visa is being assessed.

Thanks & Best Rgds

Lee
If you are planning to study in Australia for an IT degree, you should make sure that the course you will be taking meet the ACS requirements so that you will qualify once you graduate.

Once you graduate you wil then be eligible to apply for a Graduate Temporary Visa (subclass 485) that will allow you to remain in AU for 18 months to gain work experience, which you can then use to apply for PR.

Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485)

If you have done any university study in the UK you might be able to transfer certain classes so you do not have to repeat thing you might already have studied.

Mat

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Make sure you also know the costs. Coming from the UK I'm still surprised at how much education costs over here in Oz.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Yep, you won't qualify for any government fee assisted places so it will be pretty expensive..my son is going to do a 3 year Batchelors degree in Computer Science and the fees are around $15K per year. We won't qualify for HECS as we're not Citizens yet (plus I'm not too sure if I want my sons to finish Uni and then have to pay back the student loan for the next 'x' amount of years....anyhoo I digress!

Have a look at the website for Monash Course Finder, Monash University It will give you details of the course and how much the fees would be.

Dolly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts