Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Just accepted new job in spain and due to move over there very soon (1st June) I am looking at driving my car over, from Uk to Manilva, does anyone know the quickest and easiest route? :) Thanks in advance for any help you can give, if you have any other hints and tips for me on life in Spain they will be greatfully received.

·
Administrator
36,446 Posts
Hi, Just accepted new job in spain and due to move over there very soon (1st June) I am looking at driving my car over, from Uk to Manilva, does anyone know the quickest and easiest route? :) Thanks in advance for any help you can give, if you have any other hints and tips for me on life in Spain they will be greatfully received.
:welcome:

& well done getting a job :clap2:

this might help with the route ViaMichelin: driving directions, maps, traffic news, weather forecast, restaurants and hotel booking

and if you have a good read of a few threads, especially the ones 'stuck' above, it will give you some ideas about what it's like living here

feel free to come back with more questions though

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
If your move is to be permanent, you will be better advised in selling your U.K. car and buying a Spanish registered one. This will save you the bureaucracy and hassle in changing the registration plates of your U.K. vehicle in a few months time.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
The route we have always used involves using the Channel tunnel, Rouen, Bayonne (good inexpensive stop at Premier Classe just off the main road) cross over into Spain then via Burgos to pick up the A1/E5 down to Madrid exit 21 onto M50 follow the signs for R4 (you can take A4 but the R4 toll road is much quicker) this eventually joins the A4/E5 which will take you right through to Córdoba, from whence you take the A45 to Málaga, then you are just a short hop along the coast.

The tunnel to Bayonne is a not too strenuous day's drive. Bayonne to Manilva is a fairly long day over fairly good roads (the M50 round Madrid is a lot less than the M25 round London - just follow the signs that show R4 - very easy) WE have done this journey three times in each direction, twice using a LWB Renault Master van loaded with furniture and personal effects.

Others may suggest you use the ferry but SWMBO gets sea-sick so we use the tunnel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that, will probably take the channel tunnel, thanks for the recommendation on somewhere to stay as well. Very nervous about driving all that way, but i am certainly not the first and i am sure i won't be the last

·
Registered
205 Posts
Suggest you check out the cost of the long crossing ferry to Bilbao/Santander. If you can get a good deal on the ferry it may not cost more than the tunnel, accommodation and fuel to drive through France. The drive from Bilbao can be done in one VERY long day if you really wanted to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You could always use the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam as you are from Cumbria. Then its Amsterdam to Paris, and south. I did this trip a couple of years ago, it was fine, just go steady. It seems quicker to get to Newcastle and the ferry than wasting a day getting down south and hanging around......Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts