Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in Melbourne for the past 1.5 years. I am here on a 457 VISA with my spouse and kid. My wife has a PHD in chemistry from India(Cultivation of Science)and she has around 1 years of teaching experience in schools. However, we are finding it very difficult to look for a job or a volunteering experience in the field of education. We are happy to join a volunteering organisation to gain local experience so that she can later show it as a valid local exp and get a job. Also, we are happy to explore other options like Admin,back office job etc. If you can guide me or suggest anything then it would very helpful.

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Have a great day ahead.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
From what I understand, to become registered as a teacher in Australia she'd need to have a relevant degree in Education that meets the criteria of the assessing authority. So despite teaching experience, she may not be able to qualify. Whether there is more flexibility in vocational teaching, I'm not sure. She can look at the AITSL website for more information on this.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Your wife is not qualified to teach in a school in Australia. She needs to complete a Graduate Diploma in Education as a minimum requirement. Teaching experience means nothing...even education degrees in India do not count as the degree is not sufficient to meet all criteria as there needs to be at least 45 days of supervised teaching as part of an education degree in order to get registration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. We realized, teaching profession may not be option for us. We are thinking Chemistry Lab assistant in Schools are any organizations. Do you know if that's an option at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts