Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am having a terrible time finding a rental agency that will rent me a flat before I arrive at the end of August. I am coming with a dog, and my parents are arriving with my daughter 4 days later, so we must have a flat already ready to go to when I land! I can't stay somewhere with the dog and all our stuff and everyone else whilst looking at flats, I really need to have something already rented when I arrive.

Any suggestions for rental agencies that are easier to work with from overseas?
I'm fluent in Castilian, so it doesn't have to be an English-speaking agency.

I'm getting a bit panicked about finding a place, and all my friends who actually live in BCN and could theoretically go do the face-to-face meeting and deliver money for me and pick up the key will be out of town in August and can't help...

Muchas gracias!

·
Administrator
36,218 Posts
Hello,

I am having a terrible time finding a rental agency that will rent me a flat before I arrive at the end of August. I am coming with a dog, and my parents are arriving with my daughter 4 days later, so we must have a flat already ready to go to when I land! I can't stay somewhere with the dog and all our stuff and everyone else whilst looking at flats, I really need to have something already rented when I arrive.

I'm getting a bit panicked about finding a place, and all my friends who actually live in BCN and could theoretically go do the face-to-face meeting and deliver money for me and pick up the key will be out of town in August and can't help...

Muchas gracias!
property agents are notoriously bad at 'remote' contact - they don't return calls nor e-mails!!

often the only way is to walk into the office & grab them for viewings pretty much on the spot

it's only half way through July, so maybe your friends can secure you something for a couple of months to get you started before they go away?

usually we recommend that people come out for a few days or a week, a few weeks before moving & get it sorted out then, or move into a hostal for teh short term

the second of those options won't work at all with a dog & a child - but would the first option be impossible?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friends are already gone, except for one who is having surgery and will be in hospital until she leaves... nobody on the ground who can help me get set up, unfortunately.

Has anyone had experience with a rental agency that WILL let me set something up via internet/phone/wiring money? I really don't know what on earth I will do if I arrive with a dog and child and all my stuff for the 9 months I'll be living there, and no place to stay.

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
Hello,

Muchas gracias!
Not only will your friends be out of town, many of the agencies may shut up shop in August too, so I can understand your panic. I don't have any experience of renting in Barca, but there's this website called pisos online. You'd kind of expect them to answer an email, wouldn't you??
Pisos Online - alquiler y venta de pisos particulares, Madrid Barcelona

For more agencies see post #7 here
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...x-healthcare-animals-residency-visas-etc.html

On this thread there's also info about education in Spain and bringing animals in which might be useful for you.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Maybe you can try a website like airbnb.com? It is more for vacation rentals, but many of them rent out for months at a time. I only used it once, but I liked the fact that it was all done via airbnb, and everyone can leave reviews of each other. Nowhere near as sketchy as craigslist.

·
Administrator
36,218 Posts
Maybe you can try a website like airbnb.com? It is more for vacation rentals, but many of them rent out for months at a time. I only used it once, but I liked the fact that it was all done via airbnb, and everyone can leave reviews of each other. Nowhere near as sketchy as craigslist.
with a dog, child & parents in tow??

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have seen airbnb places that allow pets, and places that can sleep many people. It may not be ideal, and I am sure it won't be as cheap as a typical 12 month lease type rental. I would guess that close to 100% of the places listed can be rented ahead of time, and over the internet though.

·
Administrator
36,218 Posts
I have seen airbnb places that allow pets, and places that can sleep many people. It may not be ideal, and I am sure it won't be as cheap as a typical 12 month lease type rental. I would guess that close to 100% of the places listed can be rented ahead of time, and over the internet though.
wow - I didn't realise that - I thought they were 'spare bed' type arrangements

1 - 8 of 8 Posts