Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

i really need ur advice on this.. i was in dubai 2 weeks ago, and i had an interivew with a company there and they gave me a job offer, everything seemed professional, and the CEO who interviewed me seemed professional too.

i came back to egypt resigned from my job, sent the required documents and the visa is under processing at the moment... but the bad news is that the CEO out of nowhere sent me an sms last night saying that he will be travelling for the weekend and if i'de like to join ( i am a female) and when i said no, he replied back with a weird sms saying good luck finding a good job! and in the morning he sent sorry there was a misunderstanding we are still on to hire u!

what am i supposed to do now? do you think its a good idea to go and search for a new job once i arrive? the company is in a free zone area.. im so devastated

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's so unprofessinal from the company itself.. Well who knows what you'll expect from him once you join them..! Difficult situation, especially that you've resigned from your job..!

But don't forget that he apologised to you, meaning that he was sorry for his action.. I would say go for the job and if it happens again.. then look for another.. Good luck..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks everyone for the quick reply!

it is indeed a difficult situation, specially that hes the owner of the company! it is btw a recruitment agency with offices all around the gcc and it is quite known! plus he didnt apologize he just said there was a misunderstanding and that he still wants to hire me, i think he is worried that i harm him one way or another specially that i have the sms's and that i have contacts of many people in the company.

lets say i take the risk and go, is it better to look for a another job quickly before i do my residency visa or it doesnt make a difference?

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
I recommend looking for something else as soon as possible. He might just make your life a living hell once your residence visa is done. If it were a multinational company, things could've been different as you could've just run to HR. Here though, he is the owner so ultimate decision will lie with him.

Do you think he sent you the sms by mistake? Is that what the misunderstanding could've been? It's a little odd and quite disturbing that he would just assume you'd be ok going away for the weekend with him. Is he hot at least? Or some 65 year old with a pot belly? :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how long can i stay in dubai with the employment visa before i need to apply for the resident visa?

and unfortunately he didnt send it by mistake he knew it was me, and hes in his 50's and not hot at all , and im 27 so its quite disturbing! the only thing i could think of is that he was drunk!

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Here's what I would do, doesn't mean that I think that you should do it too but just giving you an idea to think about......

Do not take the job and look for something else because as long as you work for this company, you will be constantly looking over your shoulders. Also, things might change for the worse the minute you land in Dubai. So don't bother stepping foot into that company. Now, you do need to be professional and offer them a valid reason as to why you are not taking up employment. So, in a very professional manner, thank them for their offer but let them know that you have decided not to pursue this opportunity as you feel that the CEO crossed the line by sending you suggestive texts and then threatening you about finding another job. Make sure you put this in writing and as Gav has suggested already, save those messages.

At the end of the day, you need to protect yourself and ensure that your reputation as a professional is not tarnished. Dubai is a small city and people gossip a lot out here. So image and reputation is very important.

·
Registered
376 Posts
But you replied NO, and so you kind of set the boundaries....Maybe he thinks that you are really good at your job and did not hire you because of how you look. Company is in a freezone, so you could move easily if you want?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would say boot up and take the job and make up for your loss! One thing I know for sure of this country is it does not take indecency to women lightly. If anything like this happens within the company premises or outside even but related to your company, you can definitely contact the authorities and sue the company for misconduct.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
But you replied NO, and so you kind of set the boundaries....Maybe he thinks that you are really good at your job and did not hire you because of how you look. Company is in a freezone, so you could move easily if you want?
Quite honestly AK47, she should not have even been put in that situation to say No. That is sexual harassment, plain and simple. For him to follow that with a threat that she might not find a job elsewhere, makes it even worse. So it doesn't matter if she set the boundaries by saying No, the CEO should not have contacted her with a suggestive text in the first place.

I would say boot up and take the job and make up for your loss! One thing I know for sure of this country is it does not take indecency to women lightly. If anything like this happens within the company premises or outside even but related to your company, you can definitely contact the authorities and sue the company for misconduct.
There are no rules protecting a woman in a work place in Dubai. She's a 20 something expat from Egypt, he is the CEO of a very well known company within the GCC. If this goes to court, he can afford a better lawyer and he will win. She's the new girl in town and he owns the company, I highly doubt anyone will back her up because they all want to protect their own jobs. It's not worth the risk.

I feel bad for you Daliam, glad I'm not in your situation. Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@pamela0810, i know that this is the right thing to do but my situation is very complicated because if i said no it means im gonna have to explain this to my family here in Egypt and ofcorse they will be over protective and wont let me go to dubai again even for another company, so i my only options are either to forget about dubai or do like AK46 and creative4art suggested and go and switch jobs asap, even if he never showed any bad intentions again

·
Registered
15 Posts
Daliam said:
@pamela0810, i know that this is the right thing to do but my situation is very complicated because if i said no it means im gonna have to explain this to my family here in Egypt and ofcorse they will be over protective and wont let me go to dubai again even for another company, so i my only options are either to forget about dubai or do like AK46 and creative4art suggested and go and switch jobs asap, even if he never showed any bad intentions again
It's a tough situation. Good luck.. And save all correspondence..

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Good luck Daliam :). Hope things work out in your favour!

·
Registered
188 Posts
It should be fine! Be strong and think positive. The rest will be great!

All the best with your new start in Dubai!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can someone please tell me if I go to Dubai with the employment visa they send me, how long can I stay there without having to apply for a resident visa?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Daliam said:
I would recommend starting your job search even from now. Start sending out your resume to recruiters. Even if you end up going to Dubai for this job, you should find another job as soon as possible and get out. The guy would only escalate his actions..

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Can someone please tell me if I go to Dubai with the employment visa they send me, how long can I stay there without having to apply for a resident visa?
There is no separate employment and resident visa if you are employed.
If they have already initiated the visa process for you (they would have taken your attested educational certificate), then you would get a piece of paper entitling you to visit UAE and get the employment visa processed within 60 days of entry. You need to then undergo a medical test and then the visa gets stamped on your passport.

Alternatively, what a number of companies do is to get you into UAE on a visit visa and then initiate your visa process. Then you undergo the medical test and then the visa gets stamped on your passport.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Employment Entry visa can be 30 days, 60 days or 90 days. Depends on the one they apply for you.
After expiry, you have 10 day grace after which you will be charged AED 200/day.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There is no separate employment and resident visa if you are employed.
If they have already initiated the visa process for you (they would have taken your attested educational certificate), then you would get a piece of paper entitling you to visit UAE and get the employment visa processed within 60 days of entry.
For Free Zones, the terms are a bit confusing. "Employment visa" is referred to as the 30 or 60 day pink slip or "Entry Visa". Once you get that, you will be able to go for the Medical and Resident visa processing.

However only after you get the Resident visa done, you can switch to another company. By then, you will have a good idea of whether you have to continue with the company or not.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.