Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Here is the situation: I am French and my boyfriend is a US citizen. He wishes to move here. After spending plenty hours/days reading about laws and immigration system here, I figured that finding a job will be the easiest way for him to come here, am I right? :) Or is there something I missed?

Also, what kind of jobs would be likely to accept hiring a US citizen? He is ready to work in any field, for any salary, really anything. He is a CNA (Cettified Nursing Assistant) and his level of French is low for the moment, but he is learning!

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, I am looking forward to your replies!

Stella :)

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
It's going to be tough unless you are ready to marry. Most US medical qualifications aren't recognized here, and when they are it requires an excellent knowledge of French.

Hiring a foreigner requires quite a process from the employer to get permission from the Ministry of Labor.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bev. About getting married, would it have to be done over here or in the US? And what "advantages" would it give us?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Thanks Bev. About getting married, would it have to be done over here or in the US? And what "advantages" would it give us?
It doesn't matter where you get married, because if you get married in the US the marriage has to be transcribed/registered in France anyway so you still end up with a Livret de Famille and a French marriage certificate. Married, your partner is practically guaranteed a spouse visa with full working rights.

Another option is getting PACsed, but if you do this your boyfriend will have to spend a long time in France not working - first he'll have to come over and stay with you until you can actually apply (to get PACsed), then you have to co-habit for a while (usually a year) after which he may be considered for a carte de sejour with working rights (vie privee et familiale), but this is not guaranteed.

Another option is if he comes over on a student visa - he'll be able to work some hours each week (around 20 - there is a limit per semester). You can get PACsed, think about marriage, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much Sarah. In the end, the easiest/quickest way for him to move here would be to get married... That's something we'll have to consider and really think about before taking any decisions!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.