Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been pondering since I last posted and been reading what others posted. I have some questions with 'situations'.

I am now in UK on a General Visitor visa. Unfortunately, I cannot apply for Spouse Visa whilst in the UK (which I thought I could). I have to apply from my country - Singapore.

I am married to a British citizen and November 2012 will mark our 4 years wedding anniversary. We have a 2 1/2 year old child who holds both British and Singapore passport.

I entered the UK on March 5th and I have up to 6 months to stay here.

We have both been working (me mainly) and living in Thailand since our wedding on November 2008. We used all of our savings since the company we worked for was not doing well. Hence the return to UK to start afresh. We managed to have a meager savings of GBP2,500.

We live with his parents. They own the home. They have no problem in supporting their son (my husband), me and our child.

My husband intends to start his business and meanwhile look for a job just so he can prove some salary. Finding a job may take some time as we arrived early this month.

Questions :

1. Since I arrive on March 5th, I assume for 6 months stay I have up to August 5th right? It is not stamped in my passport how long I can stay but Singapore passports allow 6 months stay.

2. Is it advisable to leave on August 5th? Or should I leave earlier?

3. I was also advised that one cannot stay in the UK more than 6 months out of 12 on General Visitor Visa. Is Spouse Visa considered General Visitor Visa? Will I be allowed back in the UK by this year?

4. Would it be advisable to wait and apply after our 4 year wedding anniversary so I get the ILR (as I was told)? Or it does not matter? Personally I would like to apply soon and get it all done and over with (however I can only leave by July due to certain circumstances).

5. If I apply before our 4th wedding anniversary, when I get the Spouse Visa, will it be just for 2 years you think?

Please help me to decide. As heartbreaking as it is already, I fear I may need to travel alone just to save on airfare (paying for just me rather than the 3 of us). I cannot bear not to see my child nor my husband for any period of time but I think I can muster through the required Spouse Visa application timeline. :(

Thank you so much for your time.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Hello,

I have been pondering since I last posted and been reading what others posted. I have some questions with 'situations'.

I am now in UK on a General Visitor visa. Unfortunately, I cannot apply for Spouse Visa whilst in the UK (which I thought I could). I have to apply from my country - Singapore.

I am married to a British citizen and November 2012 will mark our 4 years wedding anniversary. We have a 2 1/2 year old child who holds both British and Singapore passport.

I entered the UK on March 5th and I have up to 6 months to stay here.

We have both been working (me mainly) and living in Thailand since our wedding on November 2008. We used all of our savings since the company we worked for was not doing well. Hence the return to UK to start afresh. We managed to have a meager savings of GBP2,500.

We live with his parents. They own the home. They have no problem in supporting their son (my husband), me and our child.

My husband intends to start his business and meanwhile look for a job just so he can prove some salary. Finding a job may take some time as we arrived early this month.

Questions :

1. Since I arrive on March 5th, I assume for 6 months stay I have up to August 5th right? It is not stamped in my passport how long I can stay but Singapore passports allow 6 months stay.

3. I was also advised that one cannot stay in the UK more than 6 months out of 12 on General Visitor Visa. Is Spouse Visa considered General Visitor Visa? Will I be allowed back in the UK by this year?

4. Would it be advisable to wait and apply after our 4 year wedding anniversary so I get the ILR (as I was told)? Or it does not matter? Personally I would like to apply soon and get it all done and over with (however I can only leave by July due to certain circumstances).

5. If I apply before our 4th wedding anniversary, when I get the Spouse Visa, will it be just for 2 years you think?

Please help me to decide. As heartbreaking as it is already, I fear I may need to travel alone just to save on airfare (paying for just me rather than the 3 of us). I cannot bear not to see my child nor my husband for any period of time but I think I can muster through the required Spouse Visa application timeline. :(

Thank you so much for your time.
Joppa answered most of your questions a couple of weeks ago - including the fact that you could not apply for the spouse visa from inside the UK while on a visitors visa.

No doubt he will be along soon to answer any additional questions.

·
Registered
39,084 Posts
Questions :

5th September in fact. It should say 6 months, unless they only gave you restricted leave to enter.

5th September is fine, if you leave is for 6 months. Look carefully at the stamp.

If you get a spouse visa, yes. It's a settlement visa so can lead to permanent residence called indefinite leave to remain after 2 years.

It certainly makes things easier to wait till your 4th wedding anniversary, and will save you a packet in visa fees. As I've suggested, take the Life in the UK test now so that you will be issued with indefinite leave to enter visa.

2 years and 3 months or 27 months.

Please help me to decide. As heartbreaking as it is already, I fear I may need to travel alone just to save on airfare (paying for just me rather than the 3 of us). I cannot bear not to see my child nor my husband for any period of time but I think I can muster through the required Spouse Visa application timeline.
Well, you now know your options so you can make an informed choice. I know being apart for any length of time is painful, but remember 2-3 months isn't that long in the greater scheme of things, and soon you will be back together and live for good in UK. I suggest you travel home with your child, and let your husband concentrate on establishing his business, which will lend support to your visa application when it comes around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much Joppa! Also thank you for clarifying that I can stay till September 5th. It is also good to know that if I wait till our wedding anniversary, it will save us in some fees.

The reason why I choose to leave by July earliest is because my husband company requires my know-how. See the situation I am 'trapped' in. If I go away for along period of time, not only I will miss my love ones but I am not able to give a physical input to the growth of the company. If I do go away for a long period, the business may be stalled. Either way, it sounds like I am on the loosing end but I want to win. And to win, I need to plan and strategize properly for I cannot afford to make another mistake in terms of time and money etc.

I thank you all for your patience and kindness in offering your time and advice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Joppa,

Yes, I am looking to take the Life in UK test. I have not forgotten that however thing is, my sister, who is an ILR here in the UK with her partner, mentioned that I do not need to take the Life in UK test. I can just go for the English test. I believe you are better informed :)

With regards to stamp in my passport, really I do not see any length of time I can stay in. I only see the entry date. This is my 3rd visit to the UK since 2008 and all the time I do not see a stamp that indicates how long a time I am allowed to remain. The previous 2 visits are short term so I have no worries about overstaying, but its totally different now. Is there anyway I can find out? Like calling or visiting the UKBA office somewhere?

Thank you so much Joppa!

·
Registered
39,084 Posts
Hi Joppa,

Yes, I am looking to take the Life in UK test. I have not forgotten that however thing is, my sister, who is an ILR here in the UK with her partner, mentioned that I do not need to take the Life in UK test. I can just go for the English test. I believe you are better informed
As you are clearly an English speaker, just take the test for £50 - much simpler and cheaper than enrolling on an TESOL course with citizenship.

With regards to stamp in my passport, really I do not see any length of time I can stay in. I only see the entry date. This is my 3rd visit to the UK since 2008 and all the time I do not see a stamp that indicates how long a time I am allowed to remain. The previous 2 visits are short term so I have no worries about overstaying, but its totally different now. Is there anyway I can find out? Like calling or visiting the UKBA office somewhere?
Maybe they have stopped putting 'six months' with the leave to enter stamp. If there is no 'valid until' or any time indication, it is for 6 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.