1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is nicola and Italian.
the company I work for offered me a mission of two years in a branch in dubai
having the opportunity to bring the family consists of me, wife and 2 year old

before accepting their offer I would like to understand things especially speech home areas where they can live and cost of living

1) what are the areas where I can find expratriet Europeans?

2) agrees to rent a house or an apartment in a residence?

3) if you rent a house is furnished or not? And I have to deal with other than the rental expenses?

4) demand equal to No. 3 but for an apartment in a residence?

5) the cost of living of average How long? (For example, if I decide to go to the grocery food, not expecting caviar and champagne, ... I plucked normal spending, spend more or spend less for your money but it made in Italy?

other info are welcome please help me are in crisis

I shot a thousand sites and read as many reviews each talk about everything and nothing and instead chierirmi ideas they put me even more in crisis

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,073 Posts
Hello my name is nicola and Italian.
the company I work for offered me a mission of two years in a branch in dubai
having the opportunity to bring the family consists of me, wife and 2 year old

before accepting their offer I would like to understand things especially speech home areas where they can live and cost of living

1) what are the areas where I can find expratriet Europeans?

2) agrees to rent a house or an apartment in a residence?

3) if you rent a house is furnished or not? And I have to deal with other than the rental expenses?

4) demand equal to No. 3 but for an apartment in a residence?

5) the cost of living of average How long? (For example, if I decide to go to the grocery food, not expecting caviar and champagne, ... I plucked normal spending, spend more or spend less for your money but it made in Italy?

other info are welcome please help me are in crisis

I shot a thousand sites and read as many reviews each talk about everything and nothing and instead chierirmi ideas they put me even more in crisis

Thanks in advance
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
To be honest with you - if your English level of speech is equivalent to your written English - then you are really going to struggle living and working in Dubai.
The main common language used here is English - but this is spoken by people who themselves don't have English as a first language.
This means, as a Brit, I often struggle to make myself understood or to understand what is being said to me by the people I interact with on a daily basis.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Now now folks - its Ramadan and we are all supposed to be more charitable than usual, not less :)

So, Nicolino, the best place to start is with the Stickies at the top of the Forum - a lot of your answers will be in there.

1) ExPat Europeans can be mainly found away from the centre of Dubai toward Jumeirah, the Ranches, Barsha, JB, JLT Marina to name a few.

2) Not quite sure what the question is - villas are more expensive to rent and to cool, apartments are smaller and more efficient. personally, its apartments for us and we are surrounded by families.

3) You can rent either furnished or unfurnished, but most people go for unfurnished and either buy their furniture or bring some over. There's an Ikea here and its very popular for simple cheaper stuff, plus lots of other furniture stores and depending upon the time of year there are a lot of private sales as people leave the country.

4) There are lots of bills and plenty of threads on them. There are checklists here if you use the search facility. basically, rent, power, cooling, water, gas, electric and phone/internet - just like you have at home.

5) Not possible to answer - every family is different. Never having lived in Italy I cannot comment on cost of living there but generally its about the same as everywhere else in the developed world i.e. expensive.

easy solution as we don;t know who you are - tell us what your salary, housing allowance, schools allowance and car allowances are and people will tell you if you'll be okay or not. Generally if you are a European with a family, your employer will be sensible and you'll be fine.

Ciao !

And Ramadan Kareem :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
To be honest with you - if your English level of speech is equivalent to your written English - then you are really going to struggle living and working in Dubai.
The main common language used here is English - but this is spoken by people who themselves don't have English as a first language.
This means, as a Brit, I often struggle to make myself understood or to understand what is being said to me by the people I interact with on a daily basis.
Cheers
Steve

Hello Steve

I know that my English is worth

but I'm still alive. :)

this possibility of work

help me to learn the English language

Now my problem is not the language but understand how dubai

and if I am in a expat forum where they speak only English is because I am in

trouble

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,073 Posts
Hello Steve

I know that my English is worth

but I'm still alive. :)

this possibility of work

help me to learn the English language

Now my problem is not the language but understand how dubai

and if I am in a expat forum where they speak only English is because I am in

trouble
I rest my case!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now now folks - its Ramadan and we are all supposed to be more charitable than usual, not less :)

So, Nicolino, the best place to start is with the Stickies at the top of the Forum - a lot of your answers will be in there.

1) ExPat Europeans can be mainly found away from the centre of Dubai toward Jumeirah, the Ranches, Barsha, JB, JLT Marina to name a few.

2) Not quite sure what the question is - villas are more expensive to rent and to cool, apartments are smaller and more efficient. personally, its apartments for us and we are surrounded by families.

3) You can rent either furnished or unfurnished, but most people go for unfurnished and either buy their furniture or bring some over. There's an Ikea here and its very popular for simple cheaper stuff, plus lots of other furniture stores and depending upon the time of year there are a lot of private sales as people leave the country.

4) There are lots of bills and plenty of threads on them. There are checklists here if you use the search facility. basically, rent, power, cooling, water, gas, electric and phone/internet - just like you have at home.

5) Not possible to answer - every family is different. Never having lived in Italy I cannot comment on cost of living there but generally its about the same as everywhere else in the developed world i.e. expensive.

easy solution as we don;t know who you are - tell us what your salary, housing allowance, schools allowance and car allowances are and people will tell you if you'll be okay or not. Generally if you are a European with a family, your employer will be sensible and you'll be fine.

Ciao !

And Ramadan Kareem :)
hello

my company is giving me a total budget:

ie they will pay for a health insurance for my Whole family (my wife and my son) and

provide a car for me

home rental, salary, food, clothing, nursery school and return flights are offered in the package

and have a value of 70,000 Euros

I keep searching the Internet to find out the rental fares for houses and nurseries ...but what I've found makes me think that life is much more expensive in Dubai than where I live now. I need a 2 bedrooms house and I'm trying to understand if it's more convenient to choose a flat in a residence (where sharing facilities, such as pool, laundry, gym, car parking, cleaning service 2 times a week, ...) or just a single flat where I'll sure have to pay extra money for bills and
facilities we need.

At the moment we own a house, but we have a mortgage payment of 1000 euros per month; 400 euros is the monthly fare for the nursery school; approximately 120€ for electric power and gas monthly; other bills costs 500€ yearly; 300€ per month for food; 1500€ for car insurance per year. I imagine this is all. It0s a lot of money,
if you consider a monthly salary of 2300€, including my wife's and mine, monthly.

My wife is going to search for a job in Dubai, as long as our son is settling down. In the meanwhile I will have to rely on my salary. Remind that, although moving to the Emirates, we will also have to pay for the house we own in Italy (mortgage payment, bills and maintenance fees).

Now...what's your opinion? Will it be hard for us to live there?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
You probably won't starve for certain but you might be a bit tight if you expect to live an ex-pat life with your family without your spouse working.

€70,000 is about 300,000AED per annum which equates to 25,000AED per month which graduates in my place get and they live in Studio apartments. If you have to pay for your Italian place as well, and its costing you about €20k per annum, to keep the place in Italy ....... then you're not on decent salary for a qualified Western ex-pat but its unclear what you do and what the market price might be for your job.

You should be getting your Italian salary equivalent PLUS housing PLUS car PLUS schooling fees - not provide your own while keeping a place in Italy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts