Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone !!

Just got my PR done after a long wait & will be moving to australia in July last week, i am originally from india ( delhi ) but worked all my life in Dubai ( UAE) n a mechanical engineer by profession and working in a glass bottle mfg plant.

1. I am planning to move to either sydney or melbourne, n as i understand from other threads posted that cost of living in sydney in more then in melbourne, pls let me know the minimum amount of money that should be sufficient say for 3 months for me survive considering that i dnt get a job for 3 months. ??

2. How good is job market for mechanical engineers ( i am into plant maintenance & operations) , any good glass plants in melb. or sydney??

3. What is meant by "making a contract with a recruitment agency", can we not approach any other consultants if we are bound by the contract? and how much does a recruiter charges for such contracts?? is it paid by the employer or employee ?? and do they really help ppl in getting jobs??

4. And lastly as i dont have any frend in australia so looking for some good frends who can help me / guide me or if someone is moving out new to australia it will be great to have a company in exploring the city n places and even we can share an apartment on rent.

Cheers !!

PRS

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,

You don't sign on to one agency and they don't charge for their services. It's a very similar set up they have in Dubai. So basically you can contact and deal with as many agencies as you feel fit.

With regards to Sydney compared to Melbourne your assumption is correct. Sydney is more expensive but I think this is based on rent.

The market at the moment is tough as most companies within the engineering industry ideally look for Candidates with local experience so it will be worth probably considering short term contract work should you fail to secure permanent.

When it comes to money, I think thats a tough one. If you live in a shared place then probably about $8,000. That will enable you to go out and have fun as well as pay for rent etc. if you don't plan on going out any where then probably $6,000. But please do not take this as confirmation, this is my opinion.

I live in Sydney with my GF.

Best of luck!

Wesley

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
prs, i have made a lot of contacts from this forum, a few of my best mates here in Mel are from the forum.. keep contacting people here, connect with them, everyone wants a friend when you are in a new country and you will be surprised byt he number of contacts you can make here.

Check my i'm here...my experience so far thread and other is preparation so far thread. heaps of info, lot of reading to do but most of it will help you.

our initial expense, including buying of goods like refrigerator, washing machine, utensils, couch, mattress, car and groceries plus rent deposit and bond was around 12-15k Aud. We had the money so we did a lot of purchasing initially, a lot of people go slow and buy stuff eventually. I would say get atleast 20-25k, anything over that will be good for you

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot Anj for your valuable advice.
I do also believe that to make friends in a new country communication is the mantra. So will make all efforts here in this forum to connect with people and group.
And regarding buying household items etc i think i will go for a furnished sharing accommodation to start with and later on buy things as and when required. I hope the furnished accommodation is inclusive of min. basic electronics required like washing machine , refrigerator, microwave, toaster, gas cooker, bed & mattress and few basic utensils and kitchenware like bowls, plates, cups, spoons, forks etc.
And as posted by wesley earlier 6k to 8k is required for initial 3 mnths stay. So hoping will fit my budget initially.

Cheers!!
Prs

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi again,

Yeah there is loads of choices available for house share and it includes everything you need but you will probably want to add some bits and pieces as if your anything like me you won't want to wait to eat because someone else is using the sauce pan etc.

If you do come to Sydney, more than happy to meet up!

Wes

·
Registered
13 Posts
prs said:
Thanks a lot Anj for your valuable advice.
I do also believe that to make friends in a new country communication is the mantra. So will make all efforts here in this forum to connect with people and group.
And regarding buying household items etc i think i will go for a furnished sharing accommodation to start with and later on buy things as and when required. I hope the furnished accommodation is inclusive of min. basic electronics required like washing machine , refrigerator, microwave, toaster, gas cooker, bed & mattress and few basic utensils and kitchenware like bowls, plates, cups, spoons, forks etc.
And as posted by wesley earlier 6k to 8k is required for initial 3 mnths stay. So hoping will fit my budget initially.

Cheers!!
Prs
Hi Prs, you can gauge rental at this website www.domain.com.au

I moved to Central Coast, NSW from Dubai in June 2010 and the reason we chose this location even though my husband works in Sydney is because we don't want to live in the city. There are other reasons like we can get a nice big house in the suburb at a fraction of the price, closer to his siblings, etc.

Of course if you get a small apartment, you'll need less furniture. What I found out then was that there were fewer fully furnished apartments than unfurnished ones in the rental market but that was 2 years ago. I hope you are aware that income taxes are high in Australia; totally opposite of what were used to in Dubai which was tax- free... we certainly felt the pinch when we first moved here.

If you're single, living in the city would be exciting but if you have a family and prefer the quieter suburban scenery then look at areas up north. Many people do that and commute to Sydney for work ( my husband does that ). We're at Wyoming and its about a 1.5 hr train ride.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thnx a lot for your advice wes and defenitely me too cnt wait for a saucepan to b empty for me so wil consider buying a few items, and yes i wil b equally happy to meet u up once i reach syd, and hopefully july end i should b thr , Will keep u posted.
hey Audlove thnx for your reply n i know the tax thingy will pinch a bit in start and i m a nature lover though its all artificial in Dubai but love what few we have here.
I am all single and would prefer to live near work location but thats at the later stage, initially will settle up close to train station from where commuting will be easier in the start.

Cheers!!
Prs

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi PRS,
I'll be moving to Syd around the starting of July. You can search for accommodation on the below links to get an idea :

flatmates (dot) com (dot) au
domain (dot) com (dot) au
gumtree (dot) com (dot) au
realestate (dot) com (dot) au

All the best.
AP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.