Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am Gary cooper. I am a British citizen and I am dating an American citizen. She is studying in Northern Ireland (where I live), we are starting to get serious and we don't know how marrying would work. We want to get married in the USA (because that is where she would want to live after a few years). After we get married we want to return to the UK while I go to university here and she can work or study more. After about 3-4years we would return to the USA to live the rest of our lives. Or we could just get married and stay in the USA . Can anyone help me and tell me what to do in both cases. Thanks a lot. Anything you are unclear of just ask.

P.s we both agree that if we marry in the USA and move to the UK or get married in the USA and stay we both need to be able to study and work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe since it's still an uncertainty, she could just continue studying over there until you're positive?
If you're positive you want to get married, since she's there on a study visa she can marry in the US and then switch to a spouse visa from her student visa.
Then to settle in the US you'd have to obtain a US spouse visa but she may lose the ability to return to the UK if you stay for a while and then leave before indefinite leave is granted.
I would say to visit the website and read the Visa options,costs and requirements and your decision is made for you.

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
If you marry in the US and then wish to return to live in the UK she will need to apply for a spouse visa from the US. You have to meet the financial, accommodation and relationship requirements. The most common way to meet the financial requirement is through your employment. You would have to be earning £18,600/year for at least the last 6 months. Read through FM 1.7 to understand the options for meeting the financial requirement:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...pendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

Any questions about moving to the US should be asked on that forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I have a few questions. We will be waitin until she has finished her study and returns to the U.S. And then I will come out and marry her. Then we would return to the UK for a few years. If she got the visa that allows her to stay with her family (me, her husband) in the UK from the British government would she be ok to work or study in the UK? Then when we return from years of absence from the U.S. Would she have a problem getting in? And what type of visa would allow me to live in the U.S.. Work and/or study if I was married to her?

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
A spouse visa allows you to work and study although she will continue to pay international student fees. She's a U.S. citizen so of course she can return without issue. You need to ask your questions about U.S visas on the U.S. forum.

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
Also after getting her UK spouse visa (valid initially for 30 months), if she were to return to US, she will be allowed back into UK while her visa is still valid but may not be able to renew it for further 30 months and may have to extend it instead. Getting US spouse visa for you will require sponsorship, meeting financial requirement (though help from family and relatives permitted) and will take about 8-10 months including interview at embassy and a medical.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.