Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys Im probably the youngest expat on this forum, I didn't get into medicine in the UK but I did in a neighboring emirate known as Ajman, anyway I move and visa should be done by September! One last thing is my bank account in order to live my family needs to deposit funds into my account each month, so this is where you guys help me out I currently obtain a Current account with Lloyds Banking group in the UK.
Do I convert my account since they have offices in the UAE, will I incur fund transfers into my account from my parent's? Despite being Lloyds-->Lloyds. Shall I open an account with a bank in the UAE such as an Emirates NBD? Can I do this despite not being a resident @ present?

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Hi guys Im probably the youngest expat on this forum, I didn't get into medicine in the UK but I did in a neighboring emirate known as Ajman, anyway I move and visa should be done by September! One last thing is my bank account in order to live my family needs to deposit funds into my account each month, so this is where you guys help me out I currently obtain a Current account with Lloyds Banking group in the UK.
Do I convert my account since they have offices in the UAE, will I incur fund transfers into my account from my parent's? Despite being Lloyds-->Lloyds. Shall I open an account with a bank in the UAE such as an Emirates NBD? Can I do this despite not being a resident @ present?

Are you moving to Ajman to study medicine? That's what I've gathered from your post. Anyway.....couldn't really understand your question but bottomline is that you cannot open a bank account without a residence visa. If you plan to live here, then your parents can deposit money into your local Lloyds Bank and you can use an ATM card to withdraw cash.

Once you get your residency sorted, then you can open an account with any bank that will accept you :D Hope this answered your question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@ pamela0810

I would firstly like to say thank-you for your reply Pamela. Yes indeed I am to be studying medicine in Ajman come summer fall. Do excuse my literacy in the last post, I've contracted recent flu-like symptoms and the idea of a bank account did only spring to mind last night @ 12:46AM. :)

Regarding the bank-account you are certainly right as I rang up Lloyds TSB offshore today and they told me this was possible under them. Thus I no longer need to have a UAE-based bank account. This seems most convenient, my university will arrange a student visa for me around July time. Is there anything else I should really do or get too grips with since ill be there on my own?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.