Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I was referred by one of my friends.

I am an India Citizen. Currently working in USA. I have 10 years of experience in Software Testing with a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science. My wife has 4 years of experience in software testing with a Bachelors degree. We are planning to apply for NZ PR. It is a big decision for us. I thought of getting some expert advise before I begin any process. Can you please help me with below questions?

Will I be eligible for NZ PR?
How is the job market for software testers in NZ?
Do I need to have a job offer before I apply?
Do I need to get my degree and work experience accredited by NZQA? I am little unfamiliar with this process
We both are planning to give IELTS. I presume that average score required is 6.5
Do you think my points will cross 140 mark?
If we are invited for next step, does it guarantee us a PR? Or still there are chances of denial?
Do you recommend any immigration lawyer? Will it be of any help?
What pay package can I expect after I get my PR?
Which cities are best for work-life balance? Less expensive and less populated
How is the weather in NZ? I have lived in Midwest USA. It snows heavily here and is cold for 4-5 months.
What is the average rent of 2 Bedroom apartment?
My baby is 1 year old and is US citizen by birth. How is the education in NZ?

Any help with these questions will be great.

Thanks,
KT

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I was referred by one of my friends.

I am an India Citizen. Currently working in USA. I have 10 years of experience in Software Testing with a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science. My wife has 4 years of experience in software testing with a Bachelors degree. We are planning to apply for NZ PR. It is a big decision for us. I thought of getting some expert advise before I begin any process. Can you please help me with below questions?

Will I be eligible for NZ PR?
How is the job market for software testers in NZ?
Do I need to have a job offer before I apply?
Do I need to get my degree and work experience accredited by NZQA? I am little unfamiliar with this process
We both are planning to give IELTS. I presume that average score required is 6.5
Do you think my points will cross 140 mark?
If we are invited for next step, does it guarantee us a PR? Or still there are chances of denial?
Do you recommend any immigration lawyer? Will it be of any help?
What pay package can I expect after I get my PR?
Which cities are best for work-life balance? Less expensive and less populated
How is the weather in NZ? I have lived in Midwest USA. It snows heavily here and is cold for 4-5 months.
What is the average rent of 2 Bedroom apartment?
My baby is 1 year old and is US citizen by birth. How is the education in NZ?

Any help with these questions will be great.

Thanks,
KT
I'd expect so. Fill in the points indicator to establish how many points you will get :- https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/
Without a job offer you will need minimum 140 points to guarantee EOI selection. With a job offer you'll need 100 or above and more than likely the EOI will be selected. You can see historical selection results here :-
2015 selections and NZ Residence Programme Fact Sheets - New Zealand Immigration Service

Job market is good but competitive and more than likely you'll have to work in Auckland or Wellington.

Job offer is not compulsory but it all depends what points you can claim.

Qualifications for you and partner only need assessment by NZQA if they are not exempt. Look on the list of qualifications exempt for your country. If the university, qualification and dates (if applicable) match exectly then your qualification will be exempt and you can claim the stated equivalent level and associated points. If not a match then you must have assessment before submitting EOI as without the assessment your qualifications count for zero. This is the exemption page for India.
India

Principal applicant must have overall score of minimum 6.5. A partner will need the same minimum score if you intend to claim partner points.

Do the points indicator.

Invite doesn't guarantee anything. There is always a chance of denial and if you apply without a job offer you'll also have to pass through an Immigration interview.
Also, you are not applying for PR. You are applying for a Resident Visa via the Skilled Migrant Category. PR is only available once you have held RV for minimum 2 years.

Would only recommend an Immigration consultant or lawyer if your case was particularly difficult - i.e. you had a health issue or something non standard with your application otherwise it's a lot of money for a process that you can do yourself. You certainly don't get any special treatment using an Immigration consultant or lawyer.

Just because you may get a Resident Visa it doesn't mean you will get a job. That part is entirely up to you and the salary is for you to negotiate. For an idea of what you may be paid for a job in that industry look here :-
Test Analyst - Job opportunities

Due to the nature of the job it is unlikely you'll find work in any city other than the usual larger culprits....Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Tauranga, Hamilton. In my opinion they all offer a good work/life balance, however Christchurch is on the South Island and cold during winter. Wellington is bottom of the North Island and the capital city and it's very windy often and very changeable weather. Beautiful on a good day. The others are further North in the North Island and offer better more settled weather and higher temperatures but more humid and no snow to worry about. Hamilton is in the middle of the country and an hour either way to the coast. Tauranga and Auckland are right on the sea.

Research the NZ climate. You will only find snow for a few months of the year from Central Otago down to the Southern tip of NZ in the South Island. No snow usually in the North Island other than on Mt. Egmont and Mt. Tongariro areas where there's a few ski resorts open June to October.
The South Island is generally a lot cooler than the North Island. Cold winters but hot summers. It goes from one extreme to the other. The North Island is more temperate and warmer the further North you travel but also more humid. We can catch the tail end of tropical cyclones in Northland, Auckland, Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay Of Plenty.

Rent all depends where you are living. If I assume you'll be living in Wellington or Auckland due to the job then you can be paying heaps per week for a rental depending on how close you want to be to the CBD. Maybe $300 to $600 a week depending on location, amenities, size etc. Have a look on Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me at rental properties as that's where they are all advertised. It'll give you an idea of costs.

Education is fine as far as I know but others do slate it as being inferior to other parts of the world like the US and UK. Can't really comment yet as I haven't experienced school years in NZ yet ?
Children usually start school on or just after their 5th birthday but they must by law be in school before they turn 6 years old. Majority of schools are zoned so if there's a particular school you want your child to go to you have to live in the zone or you risk them not getting in. We've recently discussed this with our chosen school and have been told that our son would not get in if we applied from outside of the zone as he is the least priority, so it looks like we'll be staying put or at least until a few months after he has started.
School is not free - even a state school. There's always some sort of fee to pay as well as uniforms and school books / stationery. Only talking hundreds of dollars though.
Some schools are state integrated private schools where there are compulsory fees and voluntary fees but these are not zoned so wouldn't matter where you live. We are at that stage now...do we stay in the zone of the local very good primary school which will cause us issues with start and finish times juggling with work and where house prices are high, or do we move out of zone where housing is cheaper and send the child to a school which has better start/finish times, but where we have to pay fees of around $8k a year. Oh the joys!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi escapedtonz,

I would like to thank you for our detailed response. This really helps. I am sure I will have more questions. I will get in touch with you soon.

Thanks!
KT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts