Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fall 2014 | MS | EE | GRE 317 | TOEFL 106 | Acads 7.98| Jadavpur University
Hello everyone,

I am from Kolkata. I am a 2012 pass out from Jadavpur university(electrical engg.).
Here is the synopsis of my profile-

1) HS score- 90%
2) B.E grade point 7.98/10.
3) work exp- 1.5yr+
4) Extracurricular - 2 yr voluntary member of NGO

My GRE score 317( v-153 Quant 164) and TOEFL-106 (r- 29 S-24 W 25 L 28)

Publication- 1
(one more in submitted for validation)
I am looking for MASc./ MEng in Canada in Electrical engineering with focus on Renewable energy.
I've shorted down the following universities

1.Alberta University
2.Dalhousie University
3.McMaster University
4.The University of British Columbia
5.WATERLOO UNIVERSITY
6.Carleton University

Please evaluate my profile and comment on my choice of university or any thing that you could suggest to
get good funding opportunities or job prospects.

Thanks again and your kind comments are solicited.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
At first glance your grades (79.8% average) don't make you competitive, especially not at places like the University of Waterloo (it is not called Waterloo University), McMaster, the University of Alberta (it is not called Alberta University), or the University of British Columbia. Your grades are good enough to apply, but they are not going to be competitive with the others applying who will have higher averages so it is highly unlikely that you would be accepted.

You would have a better chance at Dal and Carleton but I suggest you contact the graduate officer in the engineering department at each university.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was going to add that the University of Alberta (UoA) is going through a financial crisis at present and is looking at:

Teaching cutbacks;
Significantly increasing tuition fees;
Raising the entry requirements for its undergraduate programs

However if you don't meet the UoA requirements already?

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
I'd say that, for UBC at least, don't bother applying if you don't have at least an 85% average or better (honours designation would be even better), as you'll be competing with all of the UBC Engineering students (those with higher averages than you and some with honours designations in their degrees) as well as other international graduate students for a very limited number of spaces.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I'd say that, for UBC at least, don't bother applying if you don't have at least an 85% average or better (honours designation would be even better), as you'll be competing with all of the UBC Engineering students (those with higher averages than you and some with honours designations in their degrees) as well as other international graduate students for a very limited number of spaces.

The same goes for the University of Waterloo which is the best engineering school in the country (I went to Waterloo, but not for engineering) and McMaster which also has a great engineering program (I was at Mac for my PhD program but, again, not in engineering). The OP's grades are nowhere near competitive enough for any of those three schools. He would be wasting the application fee by even applying. Others, like Carleton and Dal, might be more realistic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hello sir,
Thanks for your reply .
I am really confused really. I am really in need some advice.
Following are my queries.
1) in UBC I am going to apply for Masters in Clean energy program.

Will that be as competitive as masters in electrical engg. Do I have a shots in the programs? What do you think?

2) I know DAL and Carleton are more realistic choices. But I am worried about future prospects ( chances of getting job ) . What is your suggestion?

3) I forgot to mention concordia in the list. I heard they have gr8 programs there for MEng in Electrical engg. What is your thought abt the university.

As you know I'll be taking a huge financial burden over my shoulders in order to pursue Masters in canada. How realistic will it be if I don't get into Top ranked universities like Waterloo or UBc and go for DAL, Windsor or Carleton in terms of JOB prospect.
I am desperately in need of some expert advice and I am counting on seniors like you for some.
Thanks again for your time and looking for your reply.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The same goes for the University of Waterloo which is the best engineering school in the country (I went to Waterloo, but not for engineering) and McMaster which also has a great engineering program (I was at Mac for my PhD program but, again, not in engineering). The OP's grades are nowhere near competitive enough for any of those three schools. He would be wasting the application fee by even applying. Others, like Carleton and Dal, might be more realistic.
Hello sir,
Thanks for your reply .

Will that be as competitive as masters in electrical engg. Do I have a shots in the programs? What do you think?

2) I know DAL and Carleton are more realistic choices. But I am worried about future prospects ( chances of getting job ) . What is your suggestion?

3) I forgot to mention concordia in the list. I heard they have gr8 programs there for MEng in Electrical engg. What is your thought abt the university.

As you know I'll be taking a huge financial burden over my shoulders in order to pursue Masters in canada. How realistic will it be if I don't get into Top ranked universities like Waterloo or UBc and go for DAL, Windsor or Carleton in terms of JOB prospect.
I am desperately in need of some expert advice and I am counting on seniors like you for some.

I am tagging all you seniors who replied hope you don't mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to add that the University of Alberta (UoA) is going through a financial crisis at present and is looking at:

Teaching cutbacks;
Significantly increasing tuition fees;
Raising the entry requirements for its undergraduate programs

However if you don't meet the UoA requirements already?
Yes I saw it their website. MEng program is on hold .
So i am going to refrain from applying in the university .
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
Hello sir,
Thanks for your reply
First off, I am a female.

The competition is stiff for applicants from India. I think that you will not be admitted, as you do not meet the minimum required grade for admission to the Masters Program at UBC.

UBC says that for students specifically from India, the following

Minimum University Requirements

The minimum university requirement can be found on the Faculty of Graduate Studies website. * Note that these are university-wide minimum requirements and not specific to ECE. Departments will also have their own minimum requirements in addition to the university-wide requirements. Below are the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department requirements for those countries from which we receive the largest number of applications.

India
Applicants for the Masters' programs should have a 4 year Bachelor's degree with a final standing of First Class with Distinction, or a First Class Master's degree. Applicants from IIT's must have a final standing of 8/10. Applicants for the Doctoral program must have a First Class Master's (M.Eng. or M.Tech.) degree and a First Class 4-5 year Bachelor's degree. A TOEFL or IELTS score is required even if the medium of instruction at your university was English.

I would say that you should look at going to either Dalhousie or Carelton, as I highly doubt that you would be admitted to UBC, let alone Waterloo (you need a First Class standing to get into Waterloo).

Be aware, however, that the competition to get into Dalhousie and Carelton may be high as people who can't get into the top schools will often try lower ranked schools to get their degrees.

Concordia is a good school.

Nobody can predict your chances of a job prospect once you've completed your schooling... it depends on the economy and a number of other factors.

As a foreign national, you will need a work visa of some sort to be able to work in Canada, so what work there is available will have some degree of competition to it, and given that you will likely require sponsorship, you'd need some outstanding credentials to persuade an employer to hire you over a Canadian applicant.

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off, I am a female.

The competition is stiff for applicants from India. I think that you will not be admitted, as you do not meet the for admission to the Masters Program at UBC.

UBC says that for students specifically from India, the following

Minimum University Requirements

The minimum university requirement can be found on the Faculty of Graduate Studies website. * Note that these are university-wide minimum requirements and not specific to ECE. Departments will also have their own minimum requirements in addition to the university-wide requirements. Below are the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department requirements for those countries from which we receive the largest number of applications.

India
Applicants for the Masters' programs should have a 4 year Bachelor's degree with a final standing of First Class with Distinction, or a First Class Master's degree. Applicants from IIT's must have a final standing of 8/10. Applicants for the Doctoral program must have a First Class Master's (M.Eng. or M.Tech.) degree and a First Class 4-5 year Bachelor's degree. A TOEFL or IELTS score is required even if the medium of instruction at your university was English.

I would say that you should look at going to either Dalhousie or Carelton, as I highly doubt that you would be admitted to UBC, let alone Waterloo (you need a First Class standing to get into Waterloo).

Be aware, however, that the competition to get into Dalhousie and Carelton may be high as people who can't get into the top schools will often try lower ranked schools to get their degrees.

Concordia is a good school.

Nobody can predict your chances of a job prospect once you've completed your schooling... it depends on the economy and a number of other factors.

As a foreign national, you will need a work visa of some sort to be able to work in Canada, so what work there is available will have some degree of competition to it, and given that you will likely require sponsorship, you'd need some outstanding credentials to persuade an employer to hire you over a Canadian applicant.
Hello ,

1st of sorry for my addressing blunder.

Regarding UBC and waterloo I am in confusion.
In my mark sheet two forms of marks ar given:
CGpA 7.98/10
% marks 74.8%(first class)

according to requirement website of UBC
"First Class/Division 1 (65%) or Very Good (8 on a 10-point scale)"

So according to 1st criteria I qualify ain't I?

again in some other University websites they convert % grade into grade point out of4.

So which one should I consider CGPA or % MARKS ? Awaiting reply
SB

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Hello sir,
Thanks for your reply .

Yes, any graduate program will be highly highly competitive and your grades are not good enough.

If those are the only schools you can get into then isn't it better to get the degree from somewhere rather than not get it at all?

Will be much harder to get into than Carleton or Dal.

People generally care that you have the degree, not where it came from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, any graduate program will be highly highly competitive and your grades are not good enough.

If those are the only schools you can get into then isn't it better to get the degree from somewhere rather than not get it at all?

Will be much harder to get into than Carleton or Dal.

People generally care that you have the degree, not where it came from.
Hello ,

CGpA 7.98/10

again in some other University websites they convert % grade into grade point out of4.

SB

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Hello ,

1st of sorry for my addressing blunder.

CGpA 7.98/10

SB

GPA is your cumulative marks (usually on a four point scale but some schools use a five point scale).

That 74.8% is nowhere near first class at schools like Waterloo and UBC (on their own scale for their own students). At those, first class would be 80% or higher and most likely 85% or higher. You might have first class grades at the school you went to, but that does not mean that those grades would be considered first class at Waterloo or UBC. Your grades are about 10% below that. And CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) is the most important one and your grades in that are not high enough for either Waterloo or UBC.

Regardless of which of those numbers you look at (and why the heck would they give two different numbers...what kind of grading system do they use over there???), the numbers you have provided would not make you competitive at a school like Waterloo. They have a minimum grade point below which they will not even accept your application. But having the minimum does not mean that you will be accepted, it simply means that you can apply. In order to be competitive with the other students applying you need to exceed their minimum requirements - and by a wide margin.

I did my undergrad at Waterloo and did my Masters in a graduate program that they run jointly with Wilfrid Laurier University (three blocks down the street from Waterloo) and the University of Guelph (about half an hour's drive away from the other two). Based on my experience at Waterloo as an undergrad and as a grad student in one of their graduate programs I know just how good a school it is, just how hard it is to get good grades there, and just how hard it is to get into their graduate programs. The grades that you have posted here will not get you into Waterloo. I doubt they even meet the minimum requirements for them to accept and process your application. But even if you did meet their minimum requirements your grades would not make you competitive - why bother applying to a school at which you have no chance of being accepted? And UBC is just as tough as Waterloo. Far better for you to concentrate on schools that have lower entrance qualifications as you might have a chance of being accepted at those whereas you have no chance of being accepted at schools like Waterloo, UBC, and Mac.

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
Does your transcript indicate 1st Class/Division 1 on it?

If not, then UBC will consider the 8 on a 10 point scale, which is something that you simply do not meet.

I still doubt that you will get in, as competition is extremely tight and there are people from Canada with higher grades than you who won't get in to the Masters program at UBC.

I've known people in other faculties who have failed to get into a specialty program/post graduate degree program at UBC even though they more than met the minimum entry requirement.

You can apply, but I feel that you will be wasting your time and money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does your transcript indicate 1st Class/Division 1 on it?

If not, then UBC will consider the 8 on a 10 point scale, which is something that you simply do not meet.

I still doubt that you will get in, as competition is extremely tight and there are people from Canada with higher grades than you who won't get in to the Masters program at UBC.

I've known people in other faculties who have failed to get into a specialty program/post graduate degree program at UBC even though they more than met the minimum entry requirement.

You can apply, but I feel that you will be wasting your time and money.
Ya 1st class is written on my transcript.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GPA is your cumulative marks (usually on a four point scale but some schools use a five point scale).

That 74.8% is nowhere near first class at schools like Waterloo and UBC (on their own scale for their own students). At those, first class would be 80% or higher and most likely 85% or higher. You might have first class grades at the school you went to, but that does not mean that those grades would be considered first class at Waterloo or UBC. Your grades are about 10% below that. And CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) is the most important one and your grades in that are not high enough for either Waterloo or UBC.

Regardless of which of those numbers you look at (and why the heck would they give two different numbers...what kind of grading system do they use over there???), the numbers you have provided would not make you competitive at a school like Waterloo. They have a minimum grade point below which they will not even accept your application. But having the minimum does not mean that you will be accepted, it simply means that you can apply. In order to be competitive with the other students applying you need to exceed their minimum requirements - and by a wide margin.

I did my undergrad at Waterloo and did my Masters in a graduate program that they run jointly with Wilfrid Laurier University (three blocks down the street from Waterloo) and the University of Guelph (about half an hour's drive away from the other two). Based on my experience at Waterloo as an undergrad and as a grad student in one of their graduate programs I know just how good a school it is, just how hard it is to get good grades there, and just how hard it is to get into their graduate programs. The grades that you have posted here will not get you into Waterloo. I doubt they even meet the minimum requirements for them to accept and process your application. But even if you did meet their minimum requirements your grades would not make you competitive - why bother applying to a school at which you have no chance of being accepted? And UBC is just as tough as Waterloo. Far better for you to concentrate on schools that have lower entrance qualifications as you might have a chance of being accepted at those whereas you have no chance of being accepted at schools like Waterloo, UBC, and Mac.
Thanks for taking time for your reply.

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
I also know that when I applied to UBC as an undergraduate, while I met the minimum requirement for admission, they did not offer me a spot in the Bachelor of Arts program, as my grades weren't competitive enough.

I went to a Vancouver area school, I speak English perfectly and I met the minimum admission requirement, but because there were more applicants than spaces, I had to find a different school to go to.

Again, while you may pass the minimum requirements to get into Grad School at UBC, your grades aren't competitive enough for UBC to offer you a spot... they're only interested in those applicants who can prove that they have the best grades and GRE scores out of the pool of applicants who are going to apply for September 2014..

·
Registered
451 Posts
I also know that when I applied to UBC as an undergraduate, while I met the minimum requirement for admission, they did not offer me a spot in the Bachelor of Arts program, as my grades weren't competitive enough.

I went to a Vancouver area school, I speak English perfectly and I met the minimum admission requirement, but because there were more applicants than spaces, I had to find a different school to go to.

Again, while you may pass the minimum requirements to get into Grad School at UBC, your grades aren't competitive enough for UBC to offer you a spot... they're only interested in those applicants who can prove that they have the best grades and GRE scores out of the pool of applicants who are going to apply for September 2014..
Hi there. Thank you so much for your informative posts.
I did my Bachelors of Mechanical (Biomedical) Engineering Honours degree (WAM of 71.66 or a GPA of 5.7 out of 7) at the University of Sydney. I went on the link you posted earlier. There is no mention of a grade requirement for Australian University graduates. As an Indian citizen living in Australia as a permanent resident, would the stricter Indian rules apply to me as well?
Btw I intend to apply for a masters in system design engineering or bio-electronic engineering or other related areas so if you were to rate universities in terms of their prestige, how would you rate, Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Regina, McGill, Toronto, Waterloo? Also would it be possible for me to get need based financial aid in Canada? Do all universities in Canada require a GRE score? Its just that I'd like to avoid doing a standardised exam if I can help it?
Thanks again for your help
With regards
Abhishek

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Hi there. Thank you so much for your informative posts.
I did my Bachelors of Mechanical (Biomedical) Engineering Honours degree (WAM of 71.66 or a GPA of 5.7 out of 7) at the University of Sydney. I went on the link you posted earlier. There is no mention of a grade requirement for Australian University graduates. As an Indian citizen living in Australia as a permanent resident, would the stricter Indian rules apply to me as well?

They care about where your degree came from, not where you came from.

Btw I intend to apply for a masters in system design engineering or bio-electronic engineering or other related areas so if you were to rate universities in terms of their prestige, how would you rate, Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Regina, McGill, Toronto, Waterloo?

They are all roughly equal in terms of prestige. Some are better in some areas than others (ie. Waterloo is the best engineering school in the country) but overall they are roughly the same.

Also would it be possible for me to get need based financial aid in Canada?
Doubtful. Why would they give need based financial aid to someone who isn't Canadian? There are plenty of Canadian students who need that aid. And if you require need based financial aid why are you even considering coming here? You obviously cannot afford to do so and foreign students pay much higher fees than Canadian students do. You would also have to prove to the immigration authorities that you could support yourself while you were here studying. If you require need based aid you obviously cannot support yourself.

Do all universities in Canada require a GRE score?
No, It varies by university and by program. I went trhgouh both a Master's and a PhD program and I've never taken the GRE.

Its just that I'd like to avoid doing a standardised exam if I can help it?
Why? If it is a requirement at a school there is no way to avoid it.

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
If you ever decide to go to McGill, you'd better be prepared to read, listen to and speak French.

Whilst Canada is officially a bilingual country and McGill is an English language university, the majority language in the province of Québec (where McGill is located) is French.

Whilst you might be able to get away with speaking some English in Montreal (the city in which McGill is located), you arrive expecting that everyone speaks French and are more or less unwilling to speak English to you... it's true that this is not always/necessarily the case (there are some Francophones in Québec who can speak English and are happy to speak it as needed, some who simply cannot speak English, whilst others who can speak English but just flat out refuse to speak English). but if you arrive in Montreal with a good grasp of the French language, you'll survive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.