Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am moving to Melbourne on 20th June, 2015. WIll reach Melbourne on 21st June, 2015. Could anyone help me find an accomodation in Melbourne?

Any help will be apprecieated.....

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hey Guys,

I am moving to Melbourne on 20th June, 2015. WIll reach Melbourne on 21st June, 2015. Could anyone help me find an accomodation in Melbourne?

Any help will be apprecieated.....
I'll be landing in Melbourne most likely around June 10th. It is very difficult to find accommodation from offshore, because the most popular Australian sites for real estate blocks access to contact numbers/email if you're accessing the sites from offshore. The only way out would be to have a trusted friend/acquaintance in Melbourne personally inspect the property on your behalf and make an agreement. It would be too much to ask of them, obviously.

Best thing to do, would be to find temporary accommodation such as a hostel for a week, and during this time try and secure some satisfactory accommodation.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Try Flatmates.com.au Lot of rooms available in each city. You can directly contact owners thru email or phone.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Finding an accommodation is most tricky here but the best site to look for an independent accommodation is realestate.com.au. The difficult part is that you need to reach the property at the time it’s open for inspection on an advertised scheduled time by the agent usually published on the advert itself. The inspection window will usually last for 10-15 minutes max and no appointment needed so just reach the property at that time. When you reach there, you find several other prospects standing there to view the property and if it’s in demand, you may end up viewing it with 30 others prospects willing to rent that property. Everyone together inspects and leaves taking an application form (hard copy) some accept online applications too. The tricky part starts here as you now have to apply by claiming points so proof id is 50 points for e.g. and an Australia utility bill towards address proof is another 30 or so. Above that, all adults aiming to live in the property must be able to score the points so as a new starter, you will fall below in the list. Then the rent, never fill the same amount published in the advert but bid for it as that’s how others will be doing when applying for the property. I had to bid $20 plus/week before I finally got approval for the property I’m renting and had to get my previous rental history pulled from UK agents to prove I’m a regular payer etc.

Rent calculation is per week not month so make sure you budget properly as you get paid monthly but a month has more than 4 weeks. I found the fixed property inspection time of 10 minutes to be most frustrating as that means you can’t plan your time but have to align with the agents availability and when you want to view more than one property and only realise that both are open for inspection nearing the same time and no way you can reach the two locations at the same time considering travel time required and miss on viewings. No Australia track record and inability to be able to claim full points just worsens and throws you rock bottom in the merit list that reaches the landlord for each applicant.

Transportation within the city radius of 6-10 km’s is OK as you have tram service however the rental prices are exhorbant and you will have to live in a rat hole sized apartment however, If you move out of city 25 km to suburbs, you will get the real feeling of having come to Australia with low rental’s and big houses however the train services are rubbish and jam packed during peak hours. Be prepared to travel no less than 1 hrs. mornings and same time returning back from work if living around 25 km within city radius. Unless you board the train from it’s origin station, be prepared to travel standing all this time.

Reactions: santoshpatil

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks, pretty insightful post

Finding an accommodation is most tricky here but the best site to look for an independent accommodation is realestate.com.au. The difficult part is that you need to reach the property at the time it’s open for inspection on an advertised scheduled time by the agent usually published on the advert itself. The inspection window will usually last for 10-15 minutes max and no appointment needed so just reach the property at that time. When you reach there, you find several other prospects standing there to view the property and if it’s in demand, you may end up viewing it with 30 others prospects willing to rent that property. Everyone together inspects and leaves taking an application form (hard copy) some accept online applications too. The tricky part starts here as you now have to apply by claiming points so proof id is 50 points for e.g. and an Australia utility bill towards address proof is another 30 or so. Above that, all adults aiming to live in the property must be able to score the points so as a new starter, you will fall below in the list. Then the rent, never fill the same amount published in the advert but bid for it as that’s how others will be doing when applying for the property. I had to bid $20 plus/week before I finally got approval for the property I’m renting and had to get my previous rental history pulled from UK agents to prove I’m a regular payer etc.

Rent calculation is per week not month so make sure you budget properly as you get paid monthly but a month has more than 4 weeks. I found the fixed property inspection time of 10 minutes to be most frustrating as that means you can’t plan your time but have to align with the agents availability and when you want to view more than one property and only realise that both are open for inspection nearing the same time and no way you can reach the two locations at the same time considering travel time required and miss on viewings. No Australia track record and inability to be able to claim full points just worsens and throws you rock bottom in the merit list that reaches the landlord for each applicant.

Transportation within the city radius of 6-10 km’s is OK as you have tram service however the rental prices are exhorbant and you will have to live in a rat hole sized apartment however, If you move out of city 25 km to suburbs, you will get the real feeling of having come to Australia with low rental’s and big houses however the train services are rubbish and jam packed during peak hours. Be prepared to travel no less than 1 hrs. mornings and same time returning back from work if living around 25 km within city radius. Unless you board the train from it’s origin station, be prepared to travel standing all this time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts