Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been with my fiance for 3 years and been engaged for almost 1 year.

I'm from America and he is from the UK.

I have a few questions I need some answers to, if anyone could help?

I have 18,000 USD saved, and my partner (In UK) currently only earns 10,000 GBP P/A.

I understand that one of the new requirements since 9th July 2012 are that the person IN the UK has to be earning 18,600 GBP P/A.

I would like to know:

1. Are there any ways around this?

2. Is the 18,600 GBP P/A Mandatory and/or how strict is it?

3. Does it or could it make a difference the fact that we have been together for 3 years and were engaged almost a year before the change? (We have proof, and dates)

4. (A little off topic) Is it easier to Apply for School Visa or Work permit than a Fiance Visa?

I would be grateful for any help at all on these questions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts

I have 18,000 USD saved, and my partner (In UK) currently only earns 10,000 GBP P/A.

I understand that one of the new requirements since 9th July 2012 are that the person IN the UK has to be earning 18,600 GBP P/A.

I would like to know:

3. Does it or could it make a difference the fact that we have been together for 3 years and were engaged almost a year before the change? (We have proof, and dates)

4. (A little off topic) Is it easier to Apply for School Visa or Work permit than a Fiance Visa?

I would be grateful for any help at all on these questions.

Thanks.
Is there anyway around it - NO
Is the 18,600 mandatory - YES. There are some ways to make up the shortfall if this amount is not earned, through savings and assets.

Read this:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...DIs/chp8-annex/section-FM-1.7.pdf?view=Binary

Does it make any difference with regard the amount of time you have been together - NO

Is it easier to apply for School visa or Work visa - certainly not work visa unless you have something special to offer employers; school visa, have you got the necessary funds to pay for the course plus living expenses for at least a year?

·
Registered
39,029 Posts

I would like to know:

Not really, unless you enter UK on another visa such as student or sponsored work.

Yes absolutely. If you don't meet the requirement, your application will fail. UKBA has no authority to change it.

Sorry, no. You should have applied before 9th July.

They are completely different kinds of visas. Student visa is possible if you have a confirmed place, can pay tuition fees (around £12,000 to £18,000 a year) and have around £800 to £1000 a month for living costs. Work visa will be very difficult. As US citizen, unless you have skills and qualification is a shortage occupation, you can only be employed and your visa sponsored if they cannot find another suitable candidate. With 3 million unemployed, this is most unlikely. Most employers simply refuse to look at applications from those who need a work visa.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.