Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!

I'm completely new to this site, and I'm desperately hoping somebody can give me some advice!

Basically, I am British, with an Aussie passport (citizen by descent - thanks to my dad growing up there). I have been with my partner (now fiance) for 12 years and we would like to move to Australia whilst we're still young and free...(I'm 29, he's 34).

Essentially, we would love to get my fiance a permanent residency visa so that we can both live and work there. We have plenty of proof of our relationship, however I am worried that because I have not lived over there before (albeit two trips in the past) would immigration question the legitimacy of our desire to move there? I am worried we would spend the $7000 visa fee and get turned down because I haven't called Australia my home before.

Any help and advice on the whole process would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for reading :) :wave:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If you are an Australian citizen, you don't need to meet the "usually resident" requirement for sponsorship. If you were an Australian PR living overseas, it's different and you need to satisfy DIBP that you have ties or intention to move to Australia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are an Australian citizen, you don't need to meet the "usually resident" requirement for sponsorship. If you were an Australian PR living overseas, it's different and you need to satisfy DIBP that you have ties or intention to move to Australia.
Thank you for your reply! That's really good to know!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts