Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My husband (Australian) is living in the UK with me (Scottish) and I have been offered a teaching job in Abu Dhabi - to start in about 4 weeks. Very last minute!
We are trying to get our heads around the steps to moving out. I am aware that I need documents attested here in the UK - which seems to be:
1. birth certificate
2. Marriage certificate
3. Teaching qualification
4. Degree qualification

Are there any others that I am missing? (no kids). How long does this process take in the UK? Is it realistic to think this can happen in 4 weeks?!

My husband does not have work yet, and will be looking for work once we fly out to Abu Dhabi (as a Graphic Designer). As we are living in Scotland, how can we go about getting his documents attested - can it be done in Abu Dhabi/Dubai - or will he have to send documents to Australia, then posted back to Scotland?

The school have advised us both to arrive in Abu Dhabi without a visa, and get a free tourist visa for 30 days (due to lack of time). I have read on some websites that we will need a return ticket or proof that we are intending to travel onwards - is this the case? Will we be turned away at the airport?

Lastly - can anyone recomend what is the best way to send boxes of books & teaching resources to Abu Dhabi? Extra baggage on the flight?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can't help with the visa thingy.

We only had to get the kids' birth certificates attested, not ours. We were married in the UK and we got our wedding certificate attested in Dubai by the British consulate HOWEVER, it seems we were very, very lucky. Everyone else I've spoken to had to send theirs back to the UK.

Yes, your hubby would have to send his certificates to Australia to be certified. I can't really help you with that either because my husband's not Australian so didn't have to go that route.

Don't know how long it will take in the UK, but it took only a week for the kids' birth certificates to be done in Australia and that was with it all being done by post as we live in the country. We had to post certificates to nearest capital city, they were returned then posted to UAE embassy in Canberra and posted back to us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that!
I think we will have to post them back to Australia! Luckily my husband's family will help us out too.
Looking forward to getting over there!

Pigeon Gillian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for that!
I think we will have to post them back to Australia! Luckily my husband's family will help us out too.
Looking forward to getting over there!

Pigeon Gillian
Hi,

I just arrived into Dubai. Not sure if I can help, but this is what happened to me...
I am from Sweden but lived in London and went to Uni in Australia. Im not married and dont have any kids, but I still had to get my degree qualifications attested. I went to a lawyer who just approved that this is a copy of the original and then I went to the Australian High Commission in London and got another stamp (on the same document) + signature saying the same thing. I also tried to go to the UAE embassy, but they are not allowed to attest foreign documents. Luckily I didnt need to it was fine with the two signatures I had.

This process can be done in the same day, if it works out. The actual process of getting the visa took almost 2.5 weeks.

I hope this helps a bit, and good luck with the big move!

C

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.