Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so we applied for my wife's uk spouse visa almost 2 weeks ago and yesterday they sent my wife's application back with no passports...none of the other documents we sent like birth certs and our marriage cert.
a letter said that their passports where not valid which cannot be true as they used them in December to come and stay with me. and returned in feb, so there is no reason they would not be valid. we are very very worried as we do not know what to do.
please help
Nick

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Or be within six months of expiring? It seems I recall there being something in the Guidance Notes about how far out the expiry needs to be before they will consider the application.

I'm surprised they didn't send everything back though.

In the accompanying letter does it ask that you renew the passports and resubmit? Does it give a 'due date' for renewal and resubmittal, and how to do that?

I would think it should have instructions telling you to put the application number on the outside of the packet, or in an explanatory note inside with the renewed passports, or something along those lines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my sons pasport was only issued last year and my wifes expires in 2016. i cant understand what is going on. could someone have made a error?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Or are there other outstanding visas in them? I too am really puzzled by this.

Did your passport photos meet the requirements for a British passport? I believe they're a different size to those for a US passport.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
outstanding visa's? i dont see why there would be one of those on either my sons or wifes, and im pretty sure they cant get new passports with birth certs and original passports....so what do we do

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Did your passport photos meet the requirements for a British passport? I believe they're a different size to those for a US passport.
Sorry, by this I meant 'did your NEW photos that you provided with your application meet the required size?' This is the only other reason I can find (besides other outstanding visa or expiring passports that would determine that a passport is invalid), though I would have expected the reason to be more specific if so.

Only other thing I can think of is names. Has the surname of your wife and child been changed since issue of their passports?

I wish we could be of more help, but if the wording is only that the passports are invalid (with nothing else stated), then that's not very clear at all, so we're all guessing. :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stand by. once she wakes up i will talk to her and find out more. its only 630Am in florida atm lol. please stand by i could really use u guys's help

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so i finally got a chance to read the letter myself. and all it saays is that the passport is invalid and to return the application with a valid passport...pay the 12 dollars for the delivery charge and thats it. no dates no anything......me and my wife where married in january and her name was not changed at our wedding nor does it say on our marrige cert. so i cant see how her passport is invalid. can someone please help me please. me and my wife are so so lost.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
so i finally got a chance to read the letter myself. and all it saays is that the passport is invalid and to return the application with a valid passport...pay the 12 dollars for the delivery charge and thats it. no dates no anything......me and my wife where married in january and her name was not changed at our wedding nor does it say on our marrige cert. so i cant see how her passport is invalid. can someone please help me please. me and my wife are so so lost.
OK, to recap:

Your wife in the US has received a packet back from the UKBA NYC containing only the hard copy of the application and a letter stating the passports (both your wife and son's?) are invalid.

She is instructed in an accompanying letter to obtain valid passports and send them back to the UKBA.

However, the UKBA did not return the other documents which include the birth certificates your wife needs to obtain new passports.

**OK, erm, I apologise in advance, but is it possible your wife sent OLD-EXPIRED passports? (I ask because the UKBA does ask for any expired passports applicants might have, I know I sent mine)

Is it at all possible your wife forgot to include the current passports?

Just to be sure, could you ask her to check the usual storage place of current passports to see if she maybe, possibly, hey-it-could-happen-in-the-stress-of-applying, still has the current passports?

(Because the only other thing I can think of is that UKBA NYC mixed your app and paperwork up with a different app set, and I don't know if that's ever happened...)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
she has only ever had this one passport...wiich she got in 2006. so i cant imagine what is going on.....i really wish someone could terll us what to do next

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
she has only ever had this one passport...wiich she got in 2006. so i cant imagine what is going on.....i really wish someone could terll us what to do next
Is there a contact email or telephone number in that letter? This is the strangest thing I've heard of happening! It certainly doesn't sound as though the UKBA NYC has given you enough information to understand the problem.

You write your wife's passport was issued in 2006 so I think it's safe to assume the chip is embedded. It surely hasn't expired in six years (US passports are valid for ten).

You need more info from the UKBA NYC on what the problem is. If she already has a valid passport and tries to apply for another, the US State Department is going to have a lot of questions.

Your son's passport is very recent. By any chance does he turn sixteen soon? (forgive me if you posted his age earlier in the thread)

I don't mean to be nosy, but is he your son? I ask because if he is your son, and you are British by birth, I'm curious as to why you didn't apply for a UK passport for him instead of a visa.

I'm stumped:confused2: :confused2: :confused2:

Hopefully Joppa and/or someone who's gone through this before will be along soon to give you some suggestions as to what next-possibly suggestions as to whom to contact.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my son is 2 and a half....and honistly they did not send any other information about it to us. we are truely stumped.
i was hoping joppa would be along soon to try to help me sort this.

but anyone else who feels they may be able to better understand this we are very open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It is unusual for them to keep your wife's US passport considering it is the property of the United States & not the UK. I can understand the level of stress you must be going through but this I believe can be resolved with a bit of effort.

Before you do anything else, make sure you print out photocopies of your wife's passport that was confiscated.

In my opinion, there are two approaches you may like considering:

Approach 1:
Now, this may cost $15-$20 but if you really want some direct answers you can consider calling worldbridge $3/min number 1-855-408-0343 in the USA, who work in partnership with the UK Border Agency. To me this number appears as a complete rip-off but at least you will get their attention immediately without any further delays and they can suggest you what happened. Ask them you would like her passport to be returned back to you and that on what basis was it assumed your wife's passport is not valid considering it was used fairly recently in travels.

PS: If the call stretches more than 5 minutes, tell them this has already costed you $15 and you would appreciate if there is either a cheaper number or they can call you back (I have read else where UKBA can call you on the tel. number provided on your application).

Approach 2:
If the above produced no convincing response, email them. Explain everything and tell them that the validity of the passport was till 2016 so you have no idea on what basis it was classified as invalid.

Make sure you tell them you would like it to be returned as you intend to contact US passport authorities with this concern so a new US passport can be issued to your wife. It is possible that her passport got damaged during mailing (the electronic-chip integrated inside the passport is sort of fragile). Whether you get her passport back or not but if it is confirmed her passport is invalid contact US passport authorities immediately and explain what happened. Again make sure you have a print out of her passport you mailed with the application as the number of the passport is crucial for identification purposes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my son is 2 and a half....and honistly they did not send any other information about it to us. we are truely stumped.

but anyone else who feels they may be able to better understand this we are very open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
39,084 Posts
Can't give detailed reply now as I am away from home. Give me a couple of hours. But sounds very strange.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

Hopefully Joppa will be checking in soon to help!

Stay as calm as you can, we'll get this sorted.

Manny's post is good-but I don't think I'd telephone WorldBridge, I've heard that is a terrible cost and waste of time. However, emailing them, laying out everything in as concise a manner as possible (consider bullet points, bureaucrats love bullet points).

I don't know that I say the passports have been confiscated, but I agree with Manny that the problem may be that the chip was possibly damaged in transit and that is the problem.

The trouble is, to replace a US passport unless it has been lost or stolen, one must turn in the one being replaced. I don't know why the UKBA hasn't returned the passports!

Again, try to stay calm-you are not alone, and we will try to help you, your wife, and the little one through this!

ETA: I type too slow! I see Joppa will be back at a terminal soon and able to post a detailed reply in a couple hours. Whew!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.