Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm a British citizen who's been living in Sri Lanka with my Sri Lankan husband for over 12 years. We have been together all this time and married since 2009 (6 years). We both work over here and travel to the UK every year for a holiday to visit friends/family.

We would now like to move back to the UK. I've poured over the appendices and immigration requirements but just have a couple of questions and wonder if someone could be kind enough to help:

1. Can we move back together at the same time OR do I, as the British citizen, have to already be in the UK at the time of my husband's application?

2. When it comes to cash savings - is it OK only to show these (if we have the required amount) or can cash savings ONLY be used together with some form of evidence of salary? I work freelance and since we have enough cash in savings this would be the easiest option but I worry that if we only show cash they won't think we can support ourselves in the UK. In any case, the work I do can be done anywhere in the world (I'm a copywriter) so most of it I will continue to do when we move to the UK.

3. When it comes to means of accommodation in the UK and for the purposes of the application, do we have to be living alone when we come to the UK or could we initially live with my parents? I can't seem to find out much information on this. We have money saved for our first year of house rental when we return to the UK, but do we need to provide actual house rental documents at the time of application?

4. Does the fact that we have been together 12+ years and living & working together overseas account for anything when it comes to this application?

If anyone can help with the above I would be very grateful. I guess a lot of it relates to where I have to be at the time of application. I'm losing a lot of sleep at the moment about it as I find some of the information so confusing and am not sure who to ask for advice.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
#1 Yes, you can if you meet the requirement through savings. If you are relying on employment, you need confirmed UK job offer starting within 3 months of returning.
#2 Yes, absolutely no problems. Just disclose your savings and nothing about your job.
#3 The easiest - and this is what most people use - is to stay at least initially with your parents. You need letter of offer, evidence of ownership and occupation ( your parents'), and property inspection report to show it won't be overcrowded. This is partly because of the difficulty of providing own prospective accommodation details.
#4 Provided you can show a genuine relationship with evidence of cohabitation (joint tenancy, joint bills etc), trips together and Skype log etc while you were apart and marriage certificate, it shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.