Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm currently considering a job offer in Dubai, but I'm unsure of a couple of things, and wondered if you could please shed some light onto a few things?

1) what do labour laws say when it comes to paying expenses for a business to bring someone to work in the UAE, is this something they're required to do or is it a matter for negotiation between employer/employee?

2) I understand it's difficult to get finance approved for new expats on cars etc, is this true and does this extend to getting a pay monthly mobile contract?

3) are employers required to pay for employees to have one return flight to their home country per year?

4) I'm looking at a one bed apartment in either JLT, Tecom or the Marina areas, and wondered if there's much negotiation to be had with the rental payments? I read that if you're able to pay by 1 cheque it's much easier to negotiate a better deal, but just wondered if it's possible to negotiate anyway?

5) who decides on the alcohol licence limit; if I'm earning DHS 18,000 plus commission what kind of limit would I be allowed?

Sorry for all of the questions, any help would be much appreciated as I want to have the best idea of what to expect as possible!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Hi All,

I'm currently considering a job offer in Dubai, but I'm unsure of a couple of things, and wondered if you could please shed some light onto a few things?

1) what do labour laws say when it comes to paying expenses for a business to bring someone to work in the UAE, is this something they're required to do or is it a matter for negotiation between employer/employee?

2) I understand it's difficult to get finance approved for new expats on cars etc, is this true and does this extend to getting a pay monthly mobile contract?

3) are employers required to pay for employees to have one return flight to their home country per year?

4) I'm looking at a one bed apartment in either JLT, Tecom or the Marina areas, and wondered if there's much negotiation to be had with the rental payments? I read that if you're able to pay by 1 cheque it's much easier to negotiate a better deal, but just wondered if it's possible to negotiate anyway?

5) who decides on the alcohol licence limit; if I'm earning DHS 18,000 plus commission what kind of limit would I be allowed?

Sorry for all of the questions, any help would be much appreciated as I want to have the best idea of what to expect as possible!

Thanks in advance!
1 - It's a matter of negotiation. By law, they have to pay to repatriate you to the UK but it does not state much more than this (i.e. if it is any more than an economy flight home). Again, get that negotiated and put in your contract.

2 - Once you have 3 months' worth of salary payments, it's incredibly easy to get finance, banks will almost literally be throwing money at you to get your business.

3 - Yep.

4 - You can try but almost zero chance. Most landlords here would rather their property sat empty for a year than give away a single penny in rent because they think that means they're doing good business by being a master negotiator.

5 - You should be able to get the maximum limit but very few people use their license to actually buy alcohol in Dubai, they go to other emirates like Umm Al Quwain where it's far, far cheaper to buy without a license (in Dubai's licensed shops, tax of 30% is added). Obviously, it's a requirement to have the license in order to keep and consume that alcohol at home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great, thanks for the response!

From what I've seen, some of the prices when it comes to rental in JLT seem very reasonable, and mainly seem to take 2/3/4 cheques, am I right to assume the more cheques they'll accept the more chance of striking a deal?

Are PCP finance deals common in Dubai when it comes to purchasing a car? I've read a number of dealers are now offering this funding method, in the UK it's a no brainer to buy a car on PCP if you're looking for flexibility, so to do so in Dubai would be perfect for me.

Also, I'm trying to budget for most things so I can see if the salary stacks up, how much can I expect to pay for water and electricity in a one bed apartment?

And one final question.. When it comes to medical insurance, are there many providers in UAE or am I best to source this from the UK before I arrive?

Thanks again.. Sorry if this sounds like interrogation! :D

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
And one final question.. When it comes to medical insurance, are there many providers in UAE or am I best to source this from the UK before I arrive?
your employer must provide this for you.
Make sure it covers all of you
get sight of the policy they are offering, too. there are many levels of cover

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
your employer must provide this for you.
Make sure it covers all of you
get sight of the policy they are offering, too. there are many levels of cover
The offer they've made is a basic salary with no 'plus plus', so legally they have to provide medical cover?

I'll certainly now know to ask what level of medical cover is provided, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
You will generally pay a lower price if you pay in one cheque. Those who go for multiple cheques will not get a better deal - so the opposite of your suggestion.

In respect of visa costs, do not ever pay for 'visa processing' as it's both illegal and a scam. If you pay for the costs, the money will go and that will be the last you hear.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
You will generally pay a lower price if you pay in one cheque. Those who go for multiple cheques will not get a better deal - so the opposite of your suggestion. In respect of visa costs, do not ever pay for 'visa processing' as it's both illegal and a scam. If you pay for the costs, the money will go and that will be the last you hear.
I think he meant that if the rental offer is in 4 cheques, there's an opportunity to bargain, if you can offer one cheque. But the point is made.

Most landlords start at one cheque, it seems.

Whatever you agree, the landlord has to stick with.
He can put the rent up ( in line with the rental calculator rules) but not change the payment terms

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He can put the rent up ( in line with the rental calculator rules) but not change the payment terms
Sorry to sound like I'm wet behind the ears here.. But the landlord can jack the rental payments mid tenancy?

After reading a lot of the 'stickies' over the past few months, it seems like you have to be fully prepared for the unexpected when it comes to rental properties.

I'm edging closer to accepting the offer, some really great reasons to live in Dubai, but understanding now that it's probably a complete culture shock from life in (currently wet) England. I popped to HSBC today and the lady at the service desk couldn't give me the number for someone else to speak to as soon as I mentioned the UAE.. Sign of things to come maybe?!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
HSBC here is not the HSBC in the UK - they may as well be different banks. Unless you are going to become a high net worth individual with HSBC globally, it's not worth messing around with an international bank.

Rental agreements cAnnot be changed mid term and take it from me that you have way better protection as a renter here than in the UK. Here, everything is weighed in your favour and RERA are very helpful in punishing recalcitrant landlords. No landlord will cross RERA although they will all try it on with the renter.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Sorry to sound like I'm wet behind the ears here.. But the landlord can jack the rental payments mid tenancy? After reading a lot of the 'stickies' over the past few months, it seems like you have to be fully prepared for the unexpected when it comes to rental properties. I'm edging closer to accepting the offer, some really great reasons to live in Dubai, but understanding now that it's probably a complete culture shock from life in (currently wet) England. I popped to HSBC today and the lady at the service desk couldn't give me the number for someone else to speak to as soon as I mentioned the UAE.. Sign of things to come maybe?!
Terms are annual.
They can raise it annually, but this is government controlled, based on average rental prices in the area, and restricted to certain percentages (5,10,15)
Landlords see a fast rising market, and attempt to get higher rents by either hoping the tenant is not familiar with the law, too weak to challenge it, or trying to force the tenant out.
Not all landlords behave like this, though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts