Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help/advice needed for spouse and 2x children visas please

3K views 45 replies 3 participants last post by  wannabe-uk 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if anyone will remember some of my past posts....

My husband was born in NZ and traveled over to the UK in March on a british passport (His father was born there).

When he started work he was self employed. After a few questions on here I found it would be better for him/us to be on a salary (After Joppas advice). We headed down that path so he has now been paid a salary from May.

For his new contract what exactly is it that he will need in it?
I know they should state how long he has been employed by them and how long he has been earning his salary for. Do they have to state he was self employed for the first 2 months either in the contract or in the letter?

Also with the P60, if he was on a salary from the time he started work (Begining of March) would he have been issued one for that short time? If so, how do we explain that he doesn't have one? He has never received one but from my understanding with self employment, you wouldn't?

Do I have to show proof of our nearly 13 years together?(I know, silly question) Or do they mainly focus on your marriage? (8 years)
We have no power or phone bills in both of our names from a good part of our relationship. Did try but all we could do is add my name to the companies system allowing me to ring and enquire about the accounts. Once we changed phone companies (about 1.5 years ago) was it that both of our names were on the bill (Online one). Also from memory we never got our insurance changed to both of our names until well after we were married? Not too sure on what to do here. No rates bills either as the land we live on is under my in laws names.

I can't but help think this is going to be a major concern :(

Since my husband also has a New Zealand passport, I take it I need to also add a photocopy of that along with his British one?
He also came home for nearly 2 weeks but neither of his passports were stamped. Is having his flight details from Emirates (E Ticket printed out) and boarding pass be enough to send in if we need to show proof of him flying home?
He used his NZ passport to fly home with and his British one to fly back to the UK.

With our 2 childrens visas (8 and 10 years old) what sort of things do we need to include for them?

Pretty sure I have missed something and sorry if this seems a bit confusing!

Thanks for all the help you maybe able to offer me :)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if anyone will remember some of my past posts....

My husband was born in NZ and traveled over to the UK in March on a british passport (His father was born there).

When he started work he was self employed. After a few questions on here I found it would be better for him/us to be on a salary (After Joppas advice). We headed down that path so he has now been paid a salary from May.

For his new contract what exactly is it that he will need in it?
I know they should state how long he has been employed by them and how long he has been earning his salary for. Do they have to state he was self employed for the first 2 months either in the contract or in the letter?
No. Self-employment has nothing to do with it.

Also with the P60, if he was on a salary from the time he started work (Begining of March) would he have been issued one for that short time? If so, how do we explain that he doesn't have one? He has never received one but from my understanding with self employment, you wouldn't?
Yes, if at any time before 5th April he had been employed, then he would have been issued with P60 for 2012-13 tax year, but since he only started getting paid from May, the first P60 he will receive will be around May next year for 2013-14. You don't get P60 for self-employment.

Do I have to show proof of our nearly 13 years together?(I know, silly question) Or do they mainly focus on your marriage? (8 years)
We have no power or phone bills in both of our names from a good part of our relationship. Did try but all we could do is add my name to the companies system allowing me to ring and enquire about the accounts. Once we changed phone companies (about 1.5 years ago) was it that both of our names were on the bill (Online one). Also from memory we never got our insurance changed to both of our names until well after we were married? Not too sure on what to do here. No rates bills either as the land we live on is under my in laws names.

I can't but help think this is going to be a major concern :(
Don't worry about it. You have been together for a long time and have children together. All you need to provide is some evidence of co-habitation such as joint bills or official letters sent to the same address. Plus you write about your relationship history in your cover letters. Save some communications record since he left for UK, such as Skype log, email screenshots etc, to show on-going devotion.

Since my husband also has a New Zealand passport, I take it I need to also add a photocopy of that along with his British one?
Yes.

He also came home for nearly 2 weeks but neither of his passports were stamped. Is having his flight details from Emirates (E Ticket printed out) and boarding pass be enough to send in if we need to show proof of him flying home?
He used his NZ passport to fly home with and his British one to fly back to the UK.
Don't worry about it. It's your and your children's travel history you need to declare, not his.

With our 2 childrens visas (8 and 10 years old) what sort of things do we need to include for them?
You need to complete separate application for each, with you or your husband acting as sponsor. Quite straightforward. You don't need separate financial information (Appendix 2), as you just enclose one for all three of you. After making online applications, paying the fees and getting biometrics done, you put printed out applications, biometric receipts, Appendix 2 and supporting documents all in the same parcel and send to Auckland for onward transmission to Manila. This way all three applications will be looked at and processed together.

All being well, you should be able to apply in November after he has been in work with the current employer for 6 months, provided he earns at least £1,550 each month. To speed up processing time, you can consider using priority service, but at NZD465 extra for each person on top of NZD1745 visa fees, it will be very expensive (NZD6630 in all). I'd say with priority you should get reply in about 2-3 weeks, and 1-2 months without.
I wonder if you qualify for another, cheaper visa, such as Ancestry with UK-born grandparent?

#10 ·
All being well, you should be able to apply in November after he has been in work with the current employer for 6 months, provided he earns at least £1,550 each month. To speed up processing time, you can consider using priority service, but at NZD465 extra for each person on top of NZD1745 visa fees, it will be very expensive (NZD6630 in all). I'd say with priority you should get reply in about 2-3 weeks, and 1-2 months without.
I wonder if you qualify for another, cheaper visa, such as Ancestry with UK-born grandparent?
I totally missed the last bit of your post Joppa, sorry...
I only have great grandparents that were born over there unfortunately.

We are going to use the priority service. It is very expensive and I almost choked when I found out the cost BUT if we get our visas, it's money well spent I think?

With his pay, his payslip in May says 25/05/2013 (First pay on salary) so will that mean the final pay (to make up the 6 months) will be 25th October?

His payslips that I have on hand now show (He's sending over the next 3 when times up)

25/05/2013
26/06/2013
25/07/2013

Now, his bank statements show

05 JUNE 13
28 JUNE 13
31 JULY 13

The 05 June one was for May but the company missed some number so it didn't go through until they corrected it.

Will this be a problem?

Thanks for your help :)

#3 ·
Thank you very much Joppa for your answers :)

I'm quite worried about this P60 thing since he has been employed since March but changed to salary in May.
Won't they question why there's no P60 if we don't say anything about him being self employed to start with?

His job will state he started working in March and then state he has been paid his salary since May.

#5 ·
That has crossed my mind too.

My husband also suggested that in the letter from his boss he adds that he was on a 2 month trial therefore was self employed then went on the books when they decided to keep him on?

I think your idea sounds better and more to the point.

They wont question it will they or possibly turn us down due to him switching?

Thanks again Joppa :)

#6 ·
No, provided he can meet the requirement through employment alone, with full evidence supplied. His employer can state in their letter his employment history. I'm all in favour of keeping your application simple and uncomplicated, as drawing undue attention to the short period of self-employment may confuse the ECO (visa officer) and mistakenly lead them to think you are trying to qualify with self-employment and employment combined.

#23 ·
I mucked this up I think

His bank statement for June doesn't show his salary going into his account.

We will only have 5 months of bank statements as his pay for may didn't go into his bank until the 5th June.
Then his pay for the June month went in on the 28th.

What can we do about this?

He has 6 months of payslips.

Do we just need to write a statement explaining the muck up?

With only having 5 months of payslips I'm not sure where that leaves us :confused:

#20 ·
Ok, another question please...

For his sponsor letter/s does he need to do one each for myself and our 2 kids or just the one that covers all of us?

Same question for the letter I have to do too, one for each of us or just the one covering myself and our children?

#28 ·
Ok, so my husbands getting a letter from his employer stating job description, salary, how long he's been paid it etc...

His job comes with a house free from rent, council tax and water rates. The house is supplied by the college he works at but he doesn't have a contract with them as a recruitment agency (I would think they are) pays his wage. That's who he has a contract with.

He doesn't get a council tax bill sent to him so we don't have that to supply.

Would it be best the farm manager (who my husband is answerable to) writes a letter stating why there's no council tax bill?

Stating the house is supplied to him through his job, free from rent, council tax and water?

And does he also need to state that it's ok for us to live in the house with him?

The only thing we have to prove his address is his power bills and possibly a tv licence. Will that be enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.