Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
My partner and I are about to fill out the petition I-129F to start the K-1 visa process.
I'm currently living in the french west indies (where I am from) but I have read on the Embassy site that I will have to go to Barbados (where the closest US embassy is) to have my interview + medical exam. I was wondering if I could write on the petition my former address in Paris and do the medical exam + interview in Paris. It would be way easier for me because I know the city and cheaper because I would have somewhere to stay.
Will it have an importance if, when I go to the States after obtaining the K-1 visa, I come from the french west indies and not from the country I indicated on the petition form?

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Do not lie on your form. That's a huge problem if you do.

I would enclose a polite, succinct letter making your request (with a brief justification) but be prepared not to have your request honored.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
the Us citizen should be in the US when diling as the Affidation of support need his US income
the alien can be in tthere in their own country or in another country if they have legal residence
there

NEVER lie ...the penalties can be very onerous

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
I don't think it's a strict requirement for the I-129F/CR1 sponsor to be physically in the U.S. Yes, there needs to be proof of income or wealth sufficient to sponsor the spouse, but that can be a firm job offer (for example).

But that wasn't the question raised, so we can probably leave it at that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts