Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good to be on here, bit new to me so give me time, hope I can get some help from you guys.

I'm a 17 year old Brit, turning 18 in March. I've been through compulsary education and attended two colleges, both of which I've left in pursuit for a more practical life. Obviously in the current economic climate I'm not getting far finding this life and struggling hugely to get any kind of job. I have experience working in a primary school, experience looking after elderly people and experience cleaning. I have no language skills at current sadly :(

So I thought I'd have a look into working away, would I find it very difficult finding a job in Spain, what would be the best area, will my lack of language skills stop me... all the obvious questions really!

Any help will be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Hi & Welcome

Its true to say you will probably be up against it.
Unemployment is very high in Spain at the moment and there are many people fighting for few jobs. Add to that your lack of Spanish, and it makes it a real challenge.

Add to that the average wage over here at the best of times is not that good, and I think you have to think very6 seriously about it

Good to be on here, bit new to me so give me time, hope I can get some help from you guys.

I'm a 17 year old Brit, turning 18 in March. I've been through compulsary education and attended two colleges, both of which I've left in pursuit for a more practical life. Obviously in the current economic climate I'm not getting far finding this life and struggling hugely to get any kind of job. I have experience working in a primary school, experience looking after elderly people and experience cleaning. I have no language skills at current sadly :(

So I thought I'd have a look into working away, would I find it very difficult finding a job in Spain, what would be the best area, will my lack of language skills stop me... all the obvious questions really!

·
Registered
19,341 Posts

Hi there!
I think you're to be highly commended for using your iniciative and trying to do smth about your situation.
Having said that, coming to Spain might not be the answer to your problems:(
Not having Spanish is a definite disadvantage and you won't learn in a couple of months. If you are here and speaking Spanish all the time, ie not living in a Brit zone, you could be fairly fluent in a year, but how are you going to get to the situation where your living over here???:confused2:
On the other hand, your age could be a real advantage - no independants, can work all the hours needed etc.
In my opinion, and it's only my opinion, don't come zooming over here especially not now when snow and ice and rain is covering the whole country, and there's a huge financial crisis ( worse than the UK). Stay in the UK at least until the summer. The biggest area of employment for young un qualified people I think is still in the hotel and catering trade so try to get as much bar and cafe work experience as you can in the UK. It may not be what you want to do ultimately, but it may give you a few months over here, and it's a good life experience anyway.
Whatever happens it won't be easy, but it may be fun:)

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
44% unemployment among under 25s......and that is the figure for those that DO speak the language.

BUT as Pesky Wesky says, get over here put yourself about, network to anybody with a pulse and you MAY find a job. You only need one lucky break. In the meantime learn as much Spanish as is humanly possible. Te deseo mucha suerte

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you move to the Western end of the Costa del Sol at least you have the option of trying to get work in Gibraltar as a lot people there do. The Gib economy still seems quite lively and of course they speak English. Rents are cheap down this end of the coast too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi there

Hello!
i did the same than you the last year, i didn´t speak anything english 6 moths ago, now my english is not so well but i´ve learned few english from then.
i went to london in order to improve my english and find a job there, i found a job in Weybridge, and after in London. everythig went well.
i think you have to try come here and find a job, you can stay here few time and if you finally don´t find the job, there is allways time to coming back.
i was living in london until last december, i know it is difficult but this is the real life.
i can help you in order to make a CV in spanish and find a room.
i´m trying find someone who wants make a language exchange because i need improve more my english.
then i can help you with that purpose, and i can show you madrid and toledo (where i was born).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hello!
i did the same than you the last year, i didn´t speak anything english 6 moths ago, now my english is not so well but i´ve learned few english from then.
i went to london in order to improve my english and find a job there, i found a job in Weybridge, and after in London. everythig went well.
i think you have to try come here and find a job, you can stay here few time and if you finally don´t find the job, there is allways time to coming back.
i was living in london until last december, i know it is difficult but this is the real life.
i´m trying find someone who wants make a language exchange because i need improve more my english.
then i can help you with that purpose, and i can show you madrid and toledo (where i was born).
Fantastic Manuel ! Well done and good luck in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks

thank you Hombre. i got a good job due to my english is better now.
my first days in england was terrible but i could improve my english a lot. this language is so important nowdays, especially in order to get a job.

Fantastic Manuel ! Well done and good luck in the future.

·
Banned
2,426 Posts

I'm a 17 year old Brit, turning 18 in March. I've been through compulsary education and attended two colleges, both of which I've left in pursuit for a more practical life. So I thought I'd have a look into working away, would I find it very difficult finding a job in Spain, what would be the best area, will my lack of language skills stop me... all the obvious questions really!

There is 42% youth unemployment in Spain ....and that is among those who are fluent, know the system, have contacts etc

Your only hope is in the expat areas where you MIGHT with luck, bxxxs and a lot of hard work get a job on survival money. That said, it would be a great experience I am sure .......or at least an experience and it is one you can make with no mortgage, children etc

Good luck

·
Registered
19,341 Posts
Hello!
I hope you get some way of practicing your English. You seem to have made good progress in 6 months, but need to continue. If not you'll lose a lot of the English you have now.:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.