Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another Brit family on the way in the near future ...

Ok, We'll try to blend in with those of you who are lucky enough to be living in Spain already!

Anyway, currently in London, planning the move as I type, 18 months now of sorting everything including 1x International school place & 1x local school place.

Apologies if I ask questions that have previously been asked over the summer, as you know, the legal status of migrants changes all the time, so hopefully I'll get the latest from you lot on the Costas etc?

If there are any persons planning the move back in the opposite way, please feel free to ask any questions in relation to the economy, I'll endeavour to give a non-biased opinion/overview of the state of play in the UK, especially London.

Please do not mention energy prices (lol) in the UK, another energy company has just announced a 10% price rise! Jeeze ...

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. We had to leave Spain a couple of years ago - not thru choice, but kids education, commuting for work, property......... I still miss Spain dreadfully, but we nip back as often as we can.

Spain is a wonderful country, the climate (altho winters can be dodgy lol!), the people, the views - even the smell is wonderful, but it can be a harsh country and not as cheap as it used to be. Its also in a financial crisis, little work, few financial benefits etc.

To be a resident in Spain, you do need to prove you have a livable income and healthcare provision

One day, when our children are independent (huh!??) and we have retired, we WILL go back!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

The rules are tougher now, but thankfully a rented property, prior to a purchase, means we'll be doing the legal side with well over 250k (£) in the bank ... I'm sure money talks with the authorities?

Either way, loads of planning needs to be done, so we've left plenty of time before the move.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi

The rules are tougher now, but thankfully a rented property, prior to a purchase, means we'll be doing the legal side with well over 250k (£) in the bank ... I'm sure money talks with the authorities?

Either way, loads of planning needs to be done, so we've left plenty of time before the move.
I'm sure you'll be fine. .indeed money talks, but only if its in their grasp :(!!! Healthcare may have to be addressed as the rules change fairly regularly - as is Spains way lol

Have a good nose around the forum, theres such info around and feel free to keep asking questions.

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Hi

you won't need that much!!

yes 'money talks' - but they're only interested in you being able to support yourselves, and 6000€ per person is more than enough - having more won't make the slightest difference!

as for the healthcare provision - that depends upon your personal circumstances & exactly when you're coming - the UK is making changes early next year, which mean that a lot who might have had access to state healthcare now won't

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The UK government are desperately trying to convince the voters that they are cracking down on both economic and health tourism. Any changes are pure token gestures, implementing a strict code of health provision will not extend to doctors (GPS) and hospital staff making too many enquiries ... Due to fear of trouble!

My only concern with a UK to Spain swap is a seamless health care transfer, I'm tempted to use private insurance initially, as I'm sure the Spanish system will drag its feet? Either way, I'll respect the country's system and do what I have to, thus abiding by the rules.

Returning to the UK healthcare system, the crackdown on people living in Spain, but using UK healthcare is building up steam. I would expect that within a year or two there will be a need to declare one country as a place to request free healthcare via the state. It's unlikely to be a case of living in one, but using the other. The Tory/Lib alliance has pointed the finger over the last few weeks at expats abusing the UK system ... The days of popping back to the UK for an operation or major treatment, appear to be coming to an end. You will soon be asked where you pay tax (if applicable) and then probably asked for your credit card, BMI style.

I know there must be loads of people who live the life in the sun, but dart home to the UK for free healthcare? Those days are numbered for sure.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
The UK government are desperately trying to convince the voters that they are cracking down on both economic and health tourism. Any changes are pure token gestures, implementing a strict code of health provision will not extend to doctors (GPS) and hospital staff making too many enquiries ... Due to fear of trouble!

My only concern with a UK to Spain swap is a seamless health care transfer, I'm tempted to use private insurance initially, as I'm sure the Spanish system will drag its feet? Either way, I'll respect the country's system and do what I have to, thus abiding by the rules.

Returning to the UK healthcare system, the crackdown on people living in Spain, but using UK healthcare is building up steam. I would expect that within a year or two there will be a need to declare one country as a place to request free healthcare via the state. It's unlikely to be a case of living in one, but using the other. The Tory/Lib alliance has pointed the finger over the last few weeks at expats abusing the UK system ... The days of popping back to the UK for an operation or major treatment, appear to be coming to an end. You will soon be asked where you pay tax (if applicable) and then probably asked for your credit card, BMI style.

I know there must be loads of people who live the life in the sun, but dart home to the UK for free healthcare? Those days are numbered for sure.

Good. I'm all for cracking down on free- loading immigrants who want Spanish sun with UK healthcare. I was under the impression that it was already the case that UK health care is residency - based.
I feel the same about immigrants who won't sign on the padron and drive illegal UK plated cars.
I pay enough taxes in the UK and Spain as it is without subsidising these freeloaders.

As for your other point: yes, money talks..but to make yourself heard you need big money...some local officials who had conversations with money are now reflecting on them in jails all over Spain::D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts