Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, :)
I might have an opportunity to work in Europe for a few years. I will be travelling to many of the larger cities quite often.

Where should I live?

details: I don't speak a foreign language :( but would be willing to learn. It will be just me. An airport will need to be pretty close.

It's an American company. They will work out the visa details. I have no idea about tax implications or cost of living in different countries. :confused:

People have suggested London, Barcelona, Monaco, Amsterdam, Munich...

Any thoughts, advice, dire warnings? ;)

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make certain the company also take care of your tax filing as that can be immensely tricky and time consuming. Other than that it depends on what lifestyle you prefer. Big differences between countries and also which languages are easier to learn and more useable in the future. If it is not a permanent move and you want to learn a useful language, why not try Barcelona - Spanish is very useful and not difficult. More northern feel? Hamburg is interesting. Munich is fine but German not as useful in the long run as Spanish - good luck!

·
Administrator
49,424 Posts
You'll be subject to local taxation in whatever country you reside in. There may be some accommodation regarding the local social insurances ("social security"), at least for the first 3 to 5 years, but for income taxes, you pay where you are considered resident.

Make sure you get some form of tax assistance - tax preparation support for both local and US taxes (you never get out of US taxation, if you're a citizen), plus if you can swing it a "tax equalization" clause (so you won't pay any more taxes than you would have paid had you stayed in the US). If you're on the local payroll (i.e. rather than an expat payroll), you should ask about tax assistance for at least the first year or two.

With no foreign language, I'd stick to London - maybe Amsterdam, but you will quickly find that you need the local language for day to day life (think, doctor visits, emergencies of all sorts, news, watching television, etc.).
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts