Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! I would like to find some answers to my visa/immigration plans. I am sorry if there are several threads for people asking for help but it would be greatly appreciated if somebody can have a look at my story and tell me what they think.

I am a 23 and currently a full british resident and passport holder residing in Scotland. My plan is to apply through Bunac for a working holiday visa (for up to one year). I want to work hard and contribute to the Canadian society in every way that I possibly can.

My girlfriend is a current resident of America and is just about to finish her degree in Anthropology and Archeology. Our overall aim is to both try and move together to Canada especially Ontario as she has family that live in Detroit meaning they are never too far away.

I however do not have a degree but a higher national certificate that I obtained whilst studying Photography and Digital Imaging at college. This is the area I wish to make my career in, combined with Illustration and design.

As I would be working in Canada on a temporary visa is it still possible for me to extend my stay if meeting the requirements? Would not having a degree and trying to pursue a career in Photography go against me?

I have talked to previous expats who have gone down a similar route to extending their stay. Be it through visa lawyers and paying for their requirements, however much it may cost. Many of them have had great success.

I hope there is somebody on here who can offer me some advice into what paths would be suitable.

Thanks very much and I look forward to a response.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Hi everybody! I would like to find some answers to my visa/immigration plans. I am sorry if there are several threads for people asking for help but it would be greatly appreciated if somebody can have a look at my story and tell me what they think.

I am a 23 and currently a full british resident and passport holder residing in Scotland. My plan is to apply through Bunac for a working holiday visa (for up to one year). I want to work hard and contribute to the Canadian society in every way that I possibly can.

My girlfriend is a current resident of America and is just about to finish her degree in Anthropology and Archeology. Our overall aim is to both try and move together to Canada especially Ontario as she has family that live in Detroit meaning they are never too far away.

I however do not have a degree but a higher national certificate that I obtained whilst studying Photography and Digital Imaging at college. This is the area I wish to make my career in, combined with Illustration and design.

As I would be working in Canada on a temporary visa is it still possible for me to extend my stay if meeting the requirements? Would not having a degree and trying to pursue a career in Photography go against me?

I have talked to previous expats who have gone down a similar route to extending their stay. Be it through visa lawyers and paying for their requirements, however much it may cost. Many of them have had great success.

I hope there is somebody on here who can offer me some advice into what paths would be suitable.

Thanks very much and I look forward to a response.
Welcome to the site,

Yes, you can extend your BUNAC visa but make sure you apply for the extension at least two months before expiry. Not having a degree is not a big problem but on the point scoring, education level does come into play. If you are able to get a job during your year and the employer is willing to apply for a LMO for you, you would qualify for a TWP (a two year Temporary Work Permit), during which time you can apply for PR status.
Your girlfriend would require to apply for Canadian residence on her own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:ranger:
Welcome to the site,

Yes, you can extend your BUNAC visa but make sure you apply for the extension at least two months before expiry. Not having a degree is not a big problem but on the point scoring, education level does come into play. If you are able to get a job during your year and the employer is willing to apply for a LMO for you, you would qualify for a TWP (a two year Temporary Work Permit), during which time you can apply for PR status.
Your girlfriend would require to apply for Canadian residence on her own.
Thanks Auld Yin for your quick response. What exactly is an LMO? Sorry if this has previously been mentioned.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
:ranger:

Thanks Auld Yin for your quick response. What exactly is an LMO? Sorry if this has previously been mentioned.
LMO is Labour Market Opinion. If an employer has a vacancy and wants to hire you he has to prove to the Government that he has seriously advertised the position and than no-one legally in Canada has applied or is qualified for the position. If the Government agrees they will grant the LMO which would allow him to hire you on a 2 year TWP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.