Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Alison, I am 42 years old but act like a child....:D

My husband is starting a new job as a first officer with Fly Dubai ( ex BMI Baby ) :plane:, his start date is 11th April, we have 2 boys aged 5 and 11, the boys and I are coming to Dubai around the 23rd July for 3 weeks and then again in the October half term, around that time my Husbands 6 month 'probationary period' will be up and we will know if he is staying permanently.

We are looking at renting an apartment at Le Grand Chateau, Jumeirah Village South ?? for now until me and the boys move out there too.....and then maybe something bigger 3 bed+ Villa ?, also been looking at the Dubai British School website and like the look of it, am already in contact with the admissions officer.

To be honest - I'm scared, scared of being alone with no friends or family around me, I don't have to work when we get there but I would like to continue to, I have worked for Greater Manchester Police for the last 20 years as a communications officer but would like a job of some decription at a School - preferably the School my children will go to, clerical or teaching assistant maybe ?

...any tips or advice anyone ??, would love to meet for coffee with any Mums in a similar position....

Alison. xxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Alison,

I will be moving to Dubai next month, however I am already out in the Middle East (Muscat, Oman) so I will be in the same boat as you starting out and trying to find my feet again.

I have been out here 18 months now and once you get over the culture shock and start to settle in its actually not too bad. I can't wait to move to Dubai as I am a bit bored in Muscat. So please feel free to contact me again if you have any worries and I will be glad to meet up with you when you arrive. I have visited Dubai about 6 times so far and will try and help you if possible with my limited knowledge however if you are looking for advice on where to live then its maybe best to ask one of the veterans!

Feel free to PM me.

Amanda
x

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
My colleague's children go to Dubai British School, they love it and the teaching seems to be a very good standard too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My colleague's children go to Dubai British School, they love it and the teaching seems to be a very good standard too.
Thanks gavtec, thats very reassuring, I am wondering...do you get what you pay for with Schools in Dubai ?, DBS fees are just about covered by the education allowance my Husband will get but I have noticed some schools are double that.......the standard of education and class sizes are important to me but if i am honest I am sick of paying prep school fees in the UK and welcome a break from it, so long as my children are happy in a good school NOT full of chavs :( then that will do for now....:rolleyes:

·
Banned
12 Posts
you say youre coming to dubai in july...be prepared, you will melt in the heat !!!!
i go home in july and august because its unbearable. the good thing is everything is air conditioned here, just watch you dont combust walking from the house to the car :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you say youre coming to dubai in july...be prepared, you will melt in the heat !!!!
i go home in july and august because its unbearable. the good thing is everything is air conditioned here, just watch you dont combust walking from the house to the car :D

OhI know...I'm fully prepared for that but we have to come over, otherwise it will be 6 months before I get to see my husband....not set in stone yet, its just that time that i have booked off work, he will be busy training for forst 5-6 weeks there anyway and we don't want to distract him and we dont like taking the children out of school, just have to see what happens.....:D :juggle:

·
Banned
12 Posts
i moved here 2 and a half years ago from the uk. for me , it took a while to settle here,and i still find its a bit like marmite for most people. after living in a democratic country you will find there are many things that frustrate the hell out of you!!!!
my advice to anyone would be stay on the right side of the law, dont allow yourself to get in any debt and if you do have negative things to say keep it within your four walls.
it can be difficult to make friends here as people are constantly coming or going.
the roads are confusing and the driving is unbelievably bad
there are some great malls for shopping, lots of beaches and parks and good entertainment for adults and kids.
its a very money orientated place, watch out for cons..dont be too trusting.
ramadan (religious festival) lasts a month and with it comes restrictions, i think its august this year.
its not cheap to live here so expect your shopping bill to be near on double of what it is at home...try and buy local produce as its cheaper.
this sounds mainly negative, i dont mean it to be, a lot of people really love it here but i want you to be aware of the negatives. i came here under the illusion that it was basically the uk with sunshine...it aint!!!
it has pros and cons like anywhere else but i have to tell you ...dubai is like NOWHERE else ive ever been.....you will find yourself saying "only in dubai" quite often LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i moved here 2 and a half years ago from the uk. for me , it took a while to settle here,and i still find its a bit like marmite for most people. after living in a democratic country you will find there are many things that frustrate the hell out of you!!!!
my advice to anyone would be stay on the right side of the law, dont allow yourself to get in any debt and if you do have negative things to say keep it within your four walls.
it can be difficult to make friends here as people are constantly coming or going.
the roads are confusing and the driving is unbelievably bad
there are some great malls for shopping, lots of beaches and parks and good entertainment for adults and kids.
its a very money orientated place, watch out for cons..dont be too trusting.
ramadan (religious festival) lasts a month and with it comes restrictions, i think its august this year.
its not cheap to live here so expect your shopping bill to be near on double of what it is at home...try and buy local produce as its cheaper.
this sounds mainly negative, i dont mean it to be, a lot of people really love it here but i want you to be aware of the negatives. i came here under the illusion that it was basically the uk with sunshine...it aint!!!
it has pros and cons like anywhere else but i have to tell you ...dubai is like NOWHERE else ive ever been.....you will find yourself saying "only in dubai" quite often LOL

I'm looking forward to it BXB, nothing is set in stone yet, the children and I dont have to live in Dubai, we can come out every school holiday and my husband can come home inbetween if need be, were going to give it a chance though....

·
Banned
12 Posts
you definately should come, i believe that it will be a great experience for you. i just want you to be aware unlike i was !!
in my opinion where you are living in dubai makes a massive difference, im in arabian ranches now(moved here in sept) and im a gazillion times happier now.

i hope all goes well for you and as they say...nothing ventured, nothing gained :)))))))

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.