Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My name is Oz and I am from the US. Both my husband and I are college professors. We have two kids and are planning to move to Madrid for our sabbatical year starting in June 2018. Right now, we are just trying to gather information about schools for our kids and neighborhoods where we can rent. Our kids will be 13 and 9 by that time and we would like them to go to public schools here so they can learn Spanish. If anyone can comment on whether this is even possible (would they even accept international students?), and what the process might be to get accepted, I'd greatly appreciate it. If people have opinions on public vs. international schools that would also be hugely useful.

Many thx in advance,
Oz

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Hello,
My name is Oz and I am from the US. Both my husband and I are college professors. We have two kids and are planning to move to Madrid for our sabbatical year starting in June 2018. Right now, we are just trying to gather information about schools for our kids and neighborhoods where we can rent. Our kids will be 13 and 9 by that time and we would like them to go to public schools here so they can learn Spanish. If anyone can comment on whether this is even possible (would they even accept international students?), and what the process might be to get accepted, I'd greatly appreciate it. If people have opinions on public vs. international schools that would also be hugely useful.

Many thx in advance,
Oz
:welcome:

I've moved your post to a thread of its own.

I'm not in Madrid, so can't help with specific areas - but as far as school is concerned, your children will be given places in state schools once you have your paperwork organised. You will as a minimum need to be registered on the padrón & have NIEs, & usually the children will need to have a medical.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
One thing to consider is that if you arrive in June, you will have mised the "normal" admission process which is in April.

It is not a worry, as when you have all your paperwork, the authorities are obliged to find a place for your kids, but they will be in a secondary admission process, so you may not get them into the school that would be your preference.

There are "bilingual" schools in the public system, but I am not sure if that is what you are looking for? For the 13 yr old especially, if starting from scratch with Spanish it could be quite a challenge having all classes in Spanish!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts