Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick note to possible make contact with forum member Inutley. Would love to ask your advice on a few things.
Thanks Ian

Regards

Eoin

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just a quick note to possible make contact with forum member Inutley. Would love to ask your advice on a few things.
Thanks Ian

Regards

Eoin
Go to community, in green bar just above, click on members list, there you can find that person. I checked they are in there just below my name. Good luck. You can also click on thrir name to send a message.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks Ian

Regards

Eoin
Hi Eoin, Sorry I think my previous email(with my old company) has been shut down - let me know if there is anything more I can help you with.

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Short Trip to Vancouver

Hi Eoin, Sorry I think my previous email(with my old company) has been shut down - let me know if there is anything more I can help you with.

Regards

Ian
Hello Ian and hope things are going well with the relocation, hope the family are keeping well also. We are heading out to Vancouver on 08 May for a fact finding/short break to see some agencies and a few construction/accountant companies in the hope of getting a clearer picture of things before we take the plunge. I was hoping to pick your brian on how you did this and how you got speaking to the various construction companies and best approach. I would say we will definatley be living outside Vancouver perhaps Langley or even bit further. We are well through the visa process now and would be looking at around August for stamp on passport. just wondering also the construction outlook and perhaps salary guide and other benefits that come with the package. I was also a PM in Australia for 3 years and hear that culture and work procedures etc are similar. Anyway the best of luck with everything and any words of wisdom would be most welcome.

Regards

Eoin

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks Ian

Regards

Eoin
Eoin,

Let me know any specifics you want to know about - I've emigrated to BC now so may also be able to get some local contacts depending on where you wanted to settle.

Regards
Ian

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello Ian and hope things are going well with the relocation, hope the family are keeping well also. We are heading out to Vancouver on 08 May for a fact finding/short break to see some agencies and a few construction/accountant companies in the hope of getting a clearer picture of things before we take the plunge. I was hoping to pick your brian on how you did this and how you got speaking to the various construction companies and best approach. I would say we will definatley be living outside Vancouver perhaps Langley or even bit further. We are well through the visa process now and would be looking at around August for stamp on passport. just wondering also the construction outlook and perhaps salary guide and other benefits that come with the package. I was also a PM in Australia for 3 years and hear that culture and work procedures etc are similar. Anyway the best of luck with everything and any words of wisdom would be most welcome.

Regards

Eoin
Hi Eoin, sorry with all the moving around I missed your email.
With regard to making contact with the construction comapnies there are a few approaches. Agencies are a good start, I found Hayes (Montrose) quite helpful - there was an english guy in the construction section st make sure you approach the right divison/location for each company as they usually have seperate HR depts in each province or region. You can normally submit your CV online, but make sure you send a cover letter confirming that you are working on visas and giving your time frame. Most you can also call direct, which at least allows you to speak to someone and I found this the most benficial route. The other route is to meet cosntruction companies at the emigration expos that they hold in the UK, normally there are half a dozen or so a year. You again can make direct conatct at these and often they will conduct interviews on the day. You can normally check who will be attending in advance to make sure byou go to the best shows - PCL are often at most of them.
Salary wise you should be looking from $90k -$120K, but the tax position is better here so you will end up with a better comparion to your UK salary as well. Other benefits include company vehciles with some companies (although this is not as common as in the UK). These are good if you can get one as insurance is expensive here and they are often pick ups which are great for weekends out and towing all your toys around!. You shoudl also get an employers contributory pension, and they should cover your BC medical plan costs for the family. You again should get top ups on this which make it as good a sprivate healthcare, abd this normally includes dental care as well (again for the family). Holidays are'nt quite as good, but better than the US. Average is about 15 days, but you do get a couple of extra bank holidys to make up the difference. Bonus schemes are a bit more generous here as well depending on project performance, and poetntially could add 10-15% to your salary.
If you have worked in Oz then you should find it fairly similar from my understanding. Anything else on the process or what you need to do when you get here let me know, and the best of luck with the trip.

Regards
Ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.