Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have just joined the site today and I just wanted to say hi to everybody and to ask for some advice.

My husband and I tried to move last year to Spain, but due to the credit crunch we did not make it, we did put down money but as usual lost all this!!! and yes we are now thinking about the move again, my hubbie has just landed a job overseas and staying in the UK paying taxes is no good, we have a 3 year old daughter and the place we are looking at moving to is called Hondon De La Nieves which is on a urbanisation that expats live and we are going to rent for approx 1 year for the time being to see how it goes.

What I am looking to get advice on is the schooling in that area, if anybody has any information that would be great, I tried to get onto a website for The British Primary School but it is just blank, and I think the schools are still on holidays over there.

Looking forward to chatting with you all on a regular basis and if there is anything over here you need to know about let me know and I will try and help from here in Aberdeen (raining today as usual).

Thanks for your time and any informaiton is helpful.

Audra

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi, you need to get your child into a state nursery to start with. School isnt obligatory intil theyre 6 over here. If you're moving to an expat community you need to chat with other mums to get "the low down" on what schools/nurseries are good or not and then get a feel for it all. But at 3yo she'll speak spanish and intergrate in no time at all!

I dont know the area you're planning to move to, so I cant help I'm afraid. But rest assured you'll soon find other mums there who will have their opinions

Jo xxx

·
Registered
19,435 Posts
Hi, you need to get your child into a state nursery to start with. School isnt obligatory intil theyre 6 over here. If you're moving to an expat community you need to chat with other mums to get "the low down" on what schools/nurseries are good or not and then get a feel for it all. But at 3yo she'll speak spanish and intergrate in no time at all!

I dont know the area you're planning to move to, so I cant help I'm afraid. But rest assured you'll soon find other mums there who will have their opinions

Jo xxx
Jo, don't want to confuse the issue, but they don't need to get their 3 year old into a state nursery, do they? I mean they can if they want to, but they can also get into a primary school, can't they?
My daughter was in a state nursery until she was 4 I think because it was GREAT, but she nearly didn't get into the local primary school because of the availabilty of spaces which had all been taken up by children transfering from the nursery school the year before. People tend to put their children in Primary school as soon as poss. because of work and money issues...

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I'm not necessarily into the Spanish way.....it's just that large groups of expats in one place brings a whole host of problems.

I prefer to live in an environment with people of similar outlook and ways......so a Brit ghetto just doesn't fit the bill.

Audra.....make friends on the same basis as you would in Britain. Don't look to make friends based on what passport they have....cos you'll end up very disappointed I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hi and welcome Audra :)

I dont recognise the area you mention - forgive me and my crappy geography :p- wherabouts is it ?

Im sure Xtreme will answer you himself re his comment on living in a big expat urbanisation / community.

As always each person has their own ideas and needs / wants on where to live - but if you are moving to Spain, and with such a young child, it may be that living in a more Spanish community (or at least one with a smaller expat population rather than the brits being in the majority) would be a better idea.

Otherwise you could end up living completely among expats, with very little Spanish culture or community and in affect be isolated from anything "Spanish" .... which would be shame ....

Sue :ranger:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not necessarily into the Spanish way.....it's just that large groups of expats in one place brings a whole host of problems.

I prefer to live in an environment with people of similar outlook and ways......so a Brit ghetto just doesn't fit the bill.

Audra.....make friends on the same basis as you would in Britain. Don't look to make friends based on what passport they have....cos you'll end up very disappointed I'm afraid.

Hi XTreme

I understand what you are saying, but we have 2 villages about 5 mins in the car on either side of the urbanisation (which houses, dutch, brits, scots (thats me and more), german and so forth and I know what you mean but because I have a young daughter then I would be mixing with people from brit and spanish when she is in nursery and then in school.

Thanks for the information

Audra

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi XTreme

I understand what you are saying, but we have 2 villages about 5 mins in the car on either side of the urbanisation (which houses, dutch, brits, scots (thats me and more), german and so forth and I know what you mean but because I have a young daughter then I would be mixing with people from brit and spanish when she is in nursery and then in school.

Thanks for the information

Audra
Sorry XTreme should have said that the 2 villages are spanish villages so would be integrating as much as possible.

Audra

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi and welcome Audra :)

I dont recognise the area you mention - forgive me and my crappy geography :p- wherabouts is it ?

Im sure Xtreme will answer you himself re his comment on living in a big expat urbanisation / community.

As always each person has their own ideas and needs / wants on where to live - but if you are moving to Spain, and with such a young child, it may be that living in a more Spanish community (or at least one with a smaller expat population rather than the brits being in the majority) would be a better idea.

Otherwise you could end up living completely among expats, with very little Spanish culture or community and in affect be isolated from anything "Spanish" .... which would be shame ....

Sue :ranger:
Hi Sue

Thanks for taking the time to reply, In understand what you and XTreme are saying, and as mentioned the urbanisation is housed with brits, scots, german, dutch and I do think there is spanish also, but as mentioned in my last thread there are 2 spanish villages either side of the urbanisation which is where I would be mostly anyway.

The place is 30 mins from Alicante Airport, called Hondon De La Nieves it is inland west of Alicante and Elche is it's nearest city. We have the other village which is Hondon De La Frailes on the other side of the urbanisation which I think has a nursery for Spanish and Brits so will have to speak to them, but as I mentioned I think they are all closed for holidays at the moment? Also Albertera and ASPE are the nearest towns to us which I think is only 10-15 mins in the car.

Thanks also for the information

Audra

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hi Sue

Thanks for taking the time to reply, In understand what you and XTreme are saying, and as mentioned the urbanisation is housed with brits, scots, german, dutch and I do think there is spanish also, but as mentioned in my last thread there are 2 spanish villages either side of the urbanisation which is where I would be mostly anyway.

The place is 30 mins from Alicante Airport, called Hondon De La Nieves it is inland west of Alicante and Elche is it's nearest city. We have the other village which is Hondon De La Frailes on the other side of the urbanisation which I think has a nursery for Spanish and Brits so will have to speak to them, but as I mentioned I think they are all closed for holidays at the moment? Also Albertera and ASPE are the nearest towns to us which I think is only 10-15 mins in the car.

Thanks also for the information

Audra
Hi Audra

Thanks for the geography lesson :D Im not too familiar with the Alicante region - but then again Spain is a HUGE Country and its hard sometimes to understand just how big it is - and more importantly, where every place is!

Good luck with your research and subsequent move .... keep in touch and let us know how everything is going.

Sue :)

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Audra.....it's not just about integration....it's about quality of life. If you want the same life as you had in Britain (but with more sun) then an expat area is probably for you.

But just beware the enemy within......won't take long for the chancers, hucksters, and bullsh1tters to come calling when they smell new blood and new money.

Even if you don't get taken, you can bet your life that within a short period of time the rumour mill and outright lies will start if you unknowingly join the wrong clique.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Audra.....it's not just about integration....it's about quality of life. If you want the same life as you had in Britain (but with more sun) then an expat area is probably for you.

But just beware the enemy within......won't take long for the chancers, hucksters, and bullsh1tters to come calling when they smell new blood and new money.

Even if you don't get taken, you can bet your life that within a short period of time the rumour mill and outright lies will start if you unknowingly join the wrong clique.

I'd second that. Brits are all well and good, heck AM one! But I've yet to find one that I'd want to do any work for me. When we first arrived we paid a british satellite man to install our satellite and TV etc.. he charged 300€ and it didnt work. Someone reccomended a spanish chap down the road, who took one look at what the Brit guy had done, unpicked it all, put it back together, replaced a faulty part (the brit guy had used a second hand transformer or summat)and charged 40€

The same with our broken swimming pool recently, the british company quoted 1,800€ and the Spanish 600€, we used the spanish! Also, en masse sometimes, the british can appear quite loud, arrogant and unruly. I guess it depends on why you're leaving the UK, to be in Spain and the spanish lifestyle or to be in sunny "little Britain"

Jo xx

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Hey XTreme

I am not the type of person that enters into clique's so there is no chance of that, I have my own mind and I do not rely on other people to help me out. I am very independent and want to integrate with the locals as much as possible, the urbanisation is just a cheap way to stay in Spain and it has a pool, it does not mean that I have to mingle with the locals on the urbanisation to make friends. See a true scottish person will listen to gossip but never comment on it...then you can't be blamed for anything that is said!!!

Maybe come time we will move as we are only renting to somewhere locally...

Thanks again for the heads up

Audra

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd second that. Brits are all well and good, heck AM one! But I've yet to find one that I'd want to do any work for me. When we first arrived we paid a british satellite man to install our satellite and TV etc.. he charged 300€ and it didnt work. Someone reccomended a spanish chap down the road, who took one look at what the Brit guy had done, unpicked it all, put it back together, replaced a faulty part (the brit guy had used a second hand transformer or summat)and charged 40€

The same with our broken swimming pool recently, the british company quoted 1,800€ and the Spanish 600€, we used the spanish! Also, en masse sometimes, the british can appear quite loud, arrogant and unruly. I guess it depends on why you're leaving the UK, to be in Spain and the spanish lifestyle or to be in sunny "little Britain"

Jo xx
Jo

I understand what you are saying, and yes I would agree with the workmanship. I was looking at your lovely house on your page and it is beautiful, where are you based yourself?? There are probably lovely areas everywhere but getting round them and knowing people that can recommend good areas that will give us a better way of life with the sun and also for my daughter as we need to make sure that she is integrated into the spanish way also.

It will be strange to be there on my own as hubbie works away a lot but I am sure I will meet new people, but don't want to just be in the cliques of the mothers meeting and where everybody knows everybodies business, this I know what XTreme is saying on his replies.

You hear so many horror stories and you hope that you will not be that person, but as mentioned I am very independent, sometimes too much but hey that never stopped me before.

Thanks again
Audra

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They'll call you antisocial and stuck-up then Audra! :D

Which is odd....cos back in Britain the only thing they ever said was that I was stuck-up was a sheep!

Though I still get that now of course!

If they want to call me that, then not a problem, as I said small minded people have nothing better to do...

So how long you been over in Spain then and is there a lot of sheep about then?? lol

Audra

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Jo

I understand what you are saying, and yes I would agree with the workmanship. I was looking at your lovely house on your page and it is beautiful, where are you based yourself?? There are probably lovely areas everywhere but getting round them and knowing people that can recommend good areas that will give us a better way of life with the sun and also for my daughter as we need to make sure that she is integrated into the spanish way also.

It will be strange to be there on my own as hubbie works away a lot but I am sure I will meet new people, but don't want to just be in the cliques of the mothers meeting and where everybody knows everybodies business, this I know what XTreme is saying on his replies.

You hear so many horror stories and you hope that you will not be that person, but as mentioned I am very independent, sometimes too much but hey that never stopped me before.

Thanks again
Audra
Thanks, we've just moved to this house. Its a bit "out in the sticks", but our previous house was on an Urbanisation and was quite noisy alot of the time, building works, dogs, noisy bars etc..!

We're in a village called "La Alqueria", near to Alhaurin de la Torre, Malaga and its lovely. The Town itself is very Spanish, but modern, clean and has all the amenities, like a big leisure centre, supermarkets, shops, bars, restaurants, medical centres..

My husband works in the UK and comes back here... well theres no pattern to it. He's due back for 3 days on Sunday having been away for the last 10 days! I have a few friends, but I'm not one who lives in other peoples pockets, I'm ok with my own company, but I do find the kids can be hard work without their father being here much!

Anyway, cos I'm in a new village I havent made any friends here yet, I know there are quite a few Brits here and as much as I'd love to make friends with the Spanish, the bottom line is my spanish isnt up to having a really good chat with any of them sadly! So I guess I'll eventually meet and make friends with Brits here. As for the cliques?? well, I'm far to opinionated to be easily lead into that sort of thing!!!

Jo xx

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
If they want to call me that, then not a problem, as I said small minded people have nothing better to do...

So how long you been over in Spain then and is there a lot of sheep about then?? lol

Audra
4 years in November Audra....we love it, but we do live in a different world to most.

Loads of animals here....not a lot of sheep though! /snip!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.