Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I'm new to this lovely website & I'm looking for some answers.
Feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a bit of background info to help:
-My parents were born in Jamaica
-Mum moved to England in 1969 (13yr), is naturalized, certificate as British citizen was issued in 1986
-Father moved to England in 1968 (14yr), is naturalized, certificate as British Citizen was issued in 1986
-Married in 1982 in England
-Birth of siblings took place
-Moved to Canada, either in 1989 or 1990, became Canadian citizens in 1994 (British Citizenship was valid at my birth, 1992)
-I am now currently living in Florida with my family
-I have Aunties, Uncles & Cousins that were born in England who still reside there, & my boyfriend in Wales

What my concerns are, is weather I'd be a British citizen by descent. Seeing as how both of my parents were naturalized there, have citizenship, & were married before I was born. I'd also like to know if I'd be able to apply for citizenship. Correct me if I am wrong, as I'm not 100% sure. I'm in desperate need of help & any amount of guidance would be greatly valued. Thank you. :eek:

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
Hello there, I'm new to this lovely website & I'm looking for some answers.
Feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a bit of background info to help:
-My parents were born in Jamaica
-Mum moved to England in 1969 (13yr), is naturalized, certificate as British citizen was issued in 1986
-Father moved to England in 1968 (14yr), is naturalized, certificate as British Citizen was issued in 1986
-Married in 1982 in England
-Birth of siblings took place
-Moved to Canada, either in 1989 or 1990, became Canadian citizens in 1994 (British Citizenship was valid at my birth, 1992)
-I am now currently living in Florida with my family
-I have Aunties, Uncles & Cousins that were born in England who still reside there, & my boyfriend in Wales

What my concerns are, is whether I'd be a British citizen by descent. Seeing as how both of my parents were naturalized there, have citizenship, & were married before I was born. I'd also like to know if I'd be able to apply for citizenship. Correct me if I am wrong, as I'm not 100% sure. I'm in desperate need of help & any amount of guidance would be greatly valued.
From information you have supplied, you are indeed British citizen by descent and are entitled to a British passport. Just apply for it at the British embassy in Washington DC:
How to apply from USA
Any of your future chidren born outside UK won't be automatically British, but if you live in UK for 3 years prior to having them, they can be registered as British (by descent).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From information you have supplied, you are indeed British citizen by descent and are entitled to a British passport. Just apply for it at the British embassy in Washington DC:

Any of your future chidren born outside UK won't be automatically British, but if you live in UK for 3 years prior to having them, they can be registered as British (by descent).
Oh wow, this news is absolutely terrific !! Thank you for the quick response & information provided, it is so very much appreciated. :)

I've another question, regarding whether I'd have the right to abode. Do you know if I would have the right to abode? & would I need to go through more paper work? Thank you, again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.