Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New member here.

I've been lurking and soaking up your wisdom for a few months and thought it only polite to join and introduce myself.

Looking to move to Spain within the next two years, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Will either be Oliva/Pego area or less likely purely due to scarcity/price restrictions Ayamonte.

Good to have found this site and look forward to joining in :wave:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hello and :welcome:

Would you like to expand a little on your situation and why you're planning on moving to Spain?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have thought of buying prior to retirement and then moving over for many years.

However, it is now possible that I may be made redundant in the near future, this would lead to a lump sum coming my way and enabling me to draw my pension early. This would enable our move to take place earlier than planned - IF I get redundancy.

Why Spain? Well, the climate has a great deal to do with it!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Well I wish you well with your future plans!

Personally I'm not convinced Spain is an ideal place to retire to at the moment. It's interesting that so many Brits are returning to the UK when almost as many are planning on going to Spain!

Best advice I can give I think is to do your research on precisely what you're getting yourself into.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That had been noticed and I know personally of one couple who have returned.

It seems to me that decreased purchasing power is one main reason, the other side of this is for us to go now, we go at the lowest (so far) exchange rate.

The other is the long explored problem with illegal developments. I plan to do my best to avoid any problems in this area by buying an older house within a town.

I don't know it all and am open and grateful for any advice or opinion

·
Registered
15,935 Posts
Hola VEDShappy :)

We retired in our mid 50s five years ago, and I would do it all over again. It's a great place to be, if you don't have to find work. However I know several older people who have returned to the UK because they missed their grandchildren. Family seems to be the biggest pull.

We bought a 20-year-old house on the edge of a small town and it's been brilliant; no legal problems, no leaks, cracks or subsidence, everything connected and in place.

Glad you made the decision to post and look forward to hearing more from you! :wave:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do a reckie trip

Good luck with your plans,
My strongest advice would be to come over for as long as you can, get the cheap flight deals and go to the areas that you're thinking of, go to the estate agents, look at what you can REALLY get for your money now. (usually much lower than what the ad price says, of course depending on how desperate someone is to sell)
Ask agents for testimonials, see if you talk to expats in that area to find out what it REALLY costs to live there, per month, per year bills.

We moved here to the Altiplano last December, having lived in different areas most of our lives, We are home at last, love it more each day. Very happy :D
Happy to pass on our estate agent info - he is as honest as they come, and continues to give us heaps of quality info & contacts on everything without looking for paybacks. It is just how everyone seems to be here. Very simple, very genuine.
I don't think it is right to recommend on forums, so just pm me if you want to know the RE agent.
PS We live in a cavehouse. Warmer in winter, cooler in summer - not what you would expect at all. Cheaper too, but much more individual .
Good luck - read lots, but get out here, that's the only way to know if this will make you happy. Your gut won't lie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts