Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
U.K.
8,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just returned from 6 weeks in the UK after the birth of our first Grandchild.

We have a bill which I am sure is for car tax of €95.68 Turismo de 12 hasta 15.99C.F

We have had the car for a year, and it has 2 years ITV ( runs out May 2016)

Is this car tax?

I was told that we should not be paying this as we have 2 years ITV..... can someone clarify for me please.

Many thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
We have just returned from 6 weeks in the UK after the birth of our first Grandchild.

We have a bill which I am sure is for car tax of €95.68 Turismo de 12 hasta 15.99C.F

Is this car tax?

I was told that we should not be paying this as we have 2 years ITV..... can someone clarify for me please.

Many thanks
Road tax commonly called impuesto de circulación should have this on it IVTM, the period 2015 and has nothing to do with you ITV.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

Is this car tax?

Many thanks
Yes, that would be your car tax. It has nothing to do with the ITV and it has to be paid every year.

·
Registered
U.K.
8,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Road tax commonly called impuesto de circulación should have this on it IVTM, the period 2015 and has nothing to do with you ITV.
Fab thats what I thought

Thanks

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
The cost of the circulation tax is set by, and paid to, the muncipality n which the car is registered. 95€ seems expensive. Mine on CDS is around 45€.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The cost of the circulation tax is set by, and paid to, the muncipality n which the car is registered. 95€ seems expensive. Mine on CDS is around 45€.
But it also takes into account the engine. My car is 41€ and my son's is 98€ in the same municipality.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
As with most things in Andalucia if they charged a sensible amount they wouldn't be doubly bankrupt ! :lol:
Up here mine is 175e .
The op's 12 hasta 15,99 would be setting you back 140€

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
As with most things in Andalucia if they charged a sensible amount they wouldn't be doubly bankrupt ! :lol:
Up here mine is 175e .
The op's 12 hasta 15,99 would be setting you back 140€
The whole idea of a Circulation Tax / Vehicle Excise Licence etc. is a waste of money. That is, the cost of administering it and prosecuting those who fail to pay.

We all pay a tax or taxes when we fill up, so a few cents added to the fuel in place of the circulation tax, would ensure everyone paid and also paid according to the size/ consumption/potential contamination of their vehicle.

The cost of collection would be nil as it would be collected with the existing taxes. The cost of administration, prosecutions, etc would be save and everyone would pay according to their use of the vehicle.

PS I remember my dad mentioning that in the mid 1950’s. Funny how good ideas often seem not to catch on, especially when it woulld mean a few less functionarios !

PPS Gus. My town in Andalucía is not broke and municipal services have remained the same or have improved since 2008, and IBI and other local taxes have not increased.

·
Banned
97 Posts
The whole idea of a Circulation Tax / Vehicle Excise Licence etc. is a waste of money. That is, the cost of administering it and prosecuting those who fail to pay.

We all pay a tax or taxes when we fill up, so a few cents added to the fuel in place of the circulation tax, would ensure everyone paid and also paid according to the size/ consumption/potential contamination of their vehicle.

The cost of collection would be nil as it would be collected with the existing taxes. The cost of administration, prosecutions, etc would be save and everyone would pay according to their use of the vehicle.

PS I remember my dad mentioning that in the mid 1950’s. Funny how good ideas often seem not to catch on, especially when it woulld mean a few less functionarios !

PPS Gus. My town in Andalucía is not broke and municipal services have remained the same or have improved since 2008, and IBI and other local taxes have not increased.
stop being sensible, it has no place here in Spain, the very idea that you could cut a level of bureaucracy tsk tsk tsk.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts

"a few cents/pence" is always mentioned when the subject of road tax is mentioned, In the UK normally .
Unfortunately the amount required would be far higher. I've no idea about here in Spainbut in the Uk it works out that 22pence would have to be added per litre of fuel to ensure the same 6billion income was then generated from litres of fuel sold.

If you can find out the amount of circulation tax for the whole of Spain ( about as likley as me being knighted this afternoon ) then divide it by litres of fuel sold ( slightly more chance :lol: ) then we 'd have an idea.

Your PPS; yes but Andalucia receives inordinate amounts from central government .Bit like the amount Scotland receives compared to the rest of the UK.
Catluñians pay in some 40 billion in taxes & receive back the handsome sum of 3%!
You can understand why they dislike the Andalucians & other regions receiving huge sums of what they regard as "their" money. Then embezzling it - :D

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
You can understand why they dislike the Andalucians & other regions receiving huge sums of what they regard as "their" money. Then embezzling it - :D
Judging by the example of the clan Pujol they are no slouches in that department themselves.

Nor in Madrid, nor Valencia.

·
Registered
381 Posts
But the tax on petrol doesn't go to local council. Road tax does and helps pay for the upkeep of the local roads. And they don't prosecute if you don't pay, they just take the money from your account!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just received the Andalucia car tax bill for a Porsche 911 which was about 139 Euro.

I could stop there......but my car tax was Euro 38.19 (it seems the previous resident had a Porsche 911 and hasn't changed his address yet....but he didn't leave the Porsche behind)

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
... I hope you're not opening someone else's mail - this is against the law in Spain even if it come through your letter box!

We did it once to see if it was important and related to our property. Then took it back to correos and explained the situation. I couldn't believe the telling off we got!

·
Banned
97 Posts
... I hope you're not opening someone else's mail - this is against the law in Spain even if it come through your letter box!

We did it once to see if it was important and related to our property. Then took it back to correos and explained the situation. I couldn't believe the telling off we got!
if its got my address on it and it comes through my letter box its getting opened, end of,,,,,you have got to protect yourself against all manner of scams that are doing the rounds.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
if its got my address on it and it comes through my letter box its getting opened, end of,,,,,you have got to protect yourself against all manner of scams that are doing the rounds.
It strange but when I get a letter in my box which does not have my name on it 'it is always already open' !!!! So would never have to confess to doing it !

I have though usually been able to find the person who should have got it and have been able to redeliver it.

·
Banned
97 Posts
the last letter I got in my post box was to tell a certain woman that she needed to go for a breast examination, appointment date was already booked, I took it around to my neighbours wife who said she knew the woman concerned and would hand deliver it the same day, where as if I had not opened it and just put it back into the postal system who knows what would have happened to it????

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
the last letter I got in my post box was to tell a certain woman that she needed to go for a breast examination, appointment date was already booked, I took it around to my neighbours wife who said she knew the woman concerned and would hand deliver it the same day, where as if I had not opened it and just put it back into the postal system who knows what would have happened to it????
... I agree, but it's just yet one more absurd, Spanish LAW.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts