Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in in my early 50's and have been in Sicily for just over five years. I still have not learned the language. My husband works away frequently ,if i did not spend time on the internet and speaking long distance to my friends and family i would be totally isolated. I keep thinking things will get better. Silicy is tough. I have met women here who speak english , but so have made no real connections. What to do ? Thanks for reading my post. I welcome all comments and potential friends.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello,

I am in in my early 50's and have been in Sicily for just over five years. I still have not learned the language. My husband works away frequently ,if i did not spend time on the internet and speaking long distance to my friends and family i would be totally isolated. I keep thinking things will get better. Silicy is tough. I have met women here who speak english , but so have made no real connections. What to do ? Thanks for reading my post. I welcome all comments and potential friends.
Hi Nikay

I'm sorry I'm not in Sicily, but way up in the north of Italy in Piemonte, but felt I had to respond as it sounds like we feel the same way. I've been here 2 and a half years.... still can't speak the language..... in my late forties..... husband works away... and like you, hoping that things will improve. It's tough here too. Italians are friendly, but they don't necessarily want or need English people for friends so like you, I have lots of acquaintances but no real friends. My daughter turns 14 next week and things have been tough for her too, but suddenly she is settling down and her social life is just beginning.... and mine hasn't changed at all! Tell me more about why you're here?? Amanda

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello. I'm 43 and will live in the south of Sicily very soon. I was born in Australia. I have a huge family in Sicily and although I am related (my deceased father is their brother), I am still considered an outsider. Although my mother was also born in Italy I am still considered a foreigner. I am called "straniero” or “estraneo”. So do not feel bad. My Italian is very poor but I get by. I advise you try and learn Italian as this is the only solution. Search for "Google translate" the next time you are on the internet. It's free. Request to translate from English to Italian. It will have an icon that looks like a loud- speaker usually at the bottom right hand corner. The voice translation will help you with your pronunciation. Regards, Tina

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Amanda

How are you ? I have been doing better since we adopted a dog and I pioneered the neighbors kitten. The few people I met here from the states have proven to be flakes, mentally ill or just plain mean. lol that was pretty mean of me but really odd experiences with the very few people I have met from the USA.
As for the rest I am still not blending .... I have a recipe for golden syrup if you are interested. Have you developed any hobbies? i am trying but nothing i am passionate about. hope you and your daughter are coming along and things start looking up for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tina

I know I know but i have a small hearing loss and it makes it difficult for me to make the correct pronunciation. I understand quite a bit but doubt my ability to ever be a real speaker.
I live in Caltagirone and we have family in Licata. let me know when you get here. I do not mind being an outsider . I am not unique and may be more common than i care to admit, but my search for like minded individuals has left me still searching.. i know others are out there i just do not know where....best of luck and regards...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Search for "Google translate" the next time you are on the internet. It's free. Request to translate from English to Italian. It will have an icon that looks like a loud- speaker usually at the bottom right hand corner. The voice translation will help you with your pronunciation. Regards, Tina
I never knew that ... great idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How are you ? I have been doing better since we adopted a dog and I pioneered the neighbors kitten. The few people I met here from the states have proven to be flakes, mentally ill or just plain mean. lol that was pretty mean of me but really odd experiences with the very few people I have met from the USA.
As for the rest I am still not blending .... I have a recipe for golden syrup if you are interested. Have you developed any hobbies? i am trying but nothing i am passionate about. hope you and your daughter are coming along and things start looking up for you.
You must learn Italian ... only way. Expats will drive you nuts. They are mean because they arrived with dreams and thinking that a change would somehow change them ... then they find that they are THEM wherever they go.

They are OK, just not as your only source of interaction. Learn Italian by any means. You will never be a native ... but who cares about that? I am happy being that funny stranger. I lived in Mexico and The Caribbean ... I am always a stranger. better than to be native back in cold, wet Blighty I feel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm moving to Messina tomorrow!

Hi to eveyone in Sicily! I'm going to be working in a language school in Messina and I'd be happy to meet new people from all over the island. I'm in my fifties, love travelling, reading, the cinema, pizza.......If anyone fancies meeting up, I'm willing to travel. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi!
I've just moved to Messina...will be starting work in Jan at a language school, but wanted to come before to check things out and I'm glad I did! I'm finding it really difficult to find decent accomodation.
Anyway, where are you exactly? If you want you can call me onand we can meet up.
Take care and remember...the only way is UP! Kate

·
Registered
630 Posts
yust interested what do you have to do to pioneere a kitten is it cruel and what is a flake dosent sound to pc to me

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Nickay,
Did you get my message? I can't seem to get the hang of this forum. I wrote that I'm an English teacher in Messina and would be happy to meet up for cuppa and chat. Have lived all over Italy and am now here in Messina, looking for accomodation before I start my job in Jan.
I don't know anyone here yet...it can be lonely. Luckily I speak Italian!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tina

I know I know but i have a small hearing loss and it makes it difficult for me to make the correct pronunciation. I understand quite a bit but doubt my ability to ever be a real speaker.
I live in Caltagirone and we have family in Licata. let me know when you get here. I do not mind being an outsider . I am not unique and may be more common than i care to admit, but my search for like minded individuals has left me still searching.. i know others are out there i just do not know where....best of luck and regards...
Belated Christmas and New Year good wishes to you and everyone. I am frantically trying to organise my trip and confirm I will arrive 15 April 13. I will live in Melilli, about an hour away from Caltagirone. I hope everything is better in your neck of the woods. I'm practicing my Italian with my Calabrian grandmother. The damn dialects!!! No wonder we doubt our ability to speak perfectly. If the Italians would just stick to the mainstream language and pronounciation everybody would be at peace. It is a cultural identification, thats putting it politely. On the other hand, it is ego and pride, I'm glad to tell you!. Do you have skype? All the best. Regards Tina

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!
it's my first time to rwite here... Nice to meet you all!
I'm congolese, I live in Siracusa/Sicily since 2 years.

I hope to learn a very good English here with you.

My mother tongue is french, and my Italian language is very good now.

If someone needs help about italian language, don't hesitate to contact me.
Ciao a tutti!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello Imy, Are you male or female? I've been to Africa a few times, only Johannesburg. Are you working? I am interested in using SKYPE when I come to Italy. Free voice and video calls to anyone else on Skype, anywhere around the world. Do you have it? Should I not have WiFi in Melilli, what is the name for the best cellular data plan I should buy for internet service?
How do you get a taxi? Are they only in the major cities? I do not believe I saw any in Priolo Gargallo where I stayed briefly 5 years ago so I doubt there will be any in Melilli. Long time ago, maybe they have them now. Maybe I was not looking hard enough and could not recognise them. Pardon my ignorance. Thank you. Regards Tina.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Imy, Are you male or female? I've been to Africa a few times, only Johannesburg. Are you working? I am interested in using SKYPE when I come to Italy. Free voice and video calls to anyone else on Skype, anywhere around the world. Do you have it? Should I not have WiFi in Melilli, what is the name for the best cellular data plan I should buy for internet service?
How do you get a taxi? Are they only in the major cities? I do not believe I saw any in Priolo Gargallo where I stayed briefly 5 years ago so I doubt there will be any in Melilli. Long time ago, maybe they have them now. Maybe I was not looking hard enough and could not recognise them. Pardon my ignorance. Thank you. Regards Tina.
Hello Tina!

happy to hear from you !
I'm female and young mum since 7 months!

My country is in the center of Africa and we speak french. I'm just trying to speak english, sorry for mistakes(LOL).
I'm not working now. I'm actively looking for a job, but Is not easy to find it here!
Yes, we have skype, messenger and all other to make free calls by computer.
You have many providers: TIM( Telecom ITALIA), WIND, VODAFONE,...I use wind(infostrada) for internet and telefone. Is the best for me!

For transport you have bus each 1 hour or more... it's the main public way of transportation.
You can also call a taxi, but its more expensive.

Yes, this is siracusa life!

I live in the center of siracusa, 20-25 minutes to Mellili .
hope to meet you soon!

Have a nive day!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts