Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I'm very new to this forum in fact this is my first post :eek: I wonder if anyone could advise me on what I think may be a daft question...we're about to start the visa application process for a skilled visa 175 based on my husband's job as a senior mechanical engineer but as yet he doesn't have a job to go to. Is this quite common? Can we still look for jobs that may sponsor him whilst we're applying for the 175? Do we have to wait until we're in Oz before he can start looking?

It has taken me quite a time to even consider the move and now I want to get on with it as soon as poss I have advised him that it seems to be a 12mth process (approx) and he is cool with this.

Anyway I'm rambling...thanks in advance.
Caroline :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello There,

Welcome to the Forum,

I would say it's the common practice to apply for GSM 175 without securing a job before, because normally you need the PR to be able to work in Australia.

You can also look for jobs while you are applying, but landing a job remotely is unlikely but not impossible (I did get a job offer remotely before)

Actually I am also an electrical engineer and applying for GSM 175 Visa (Skilled Independent Migrant) and here are some starter tips that I have posted before for engineers applying for GSM 175:

1- your age must be under 45 years at time of application
2- Try to Take points assessment test on DIAC's web page.
3- Your Job is on both MODL and CSL (that means more likely to get faster process)
4- you need to get your skills assessed, check Institute of Engineers, Australia for requirements and fees is around AUD $450.
5- The fees of Immigration Applications at DIAC for GSM 175 should be (AUD $2525)
6- You can carry out the process on your own and you may use an agent (I used one) and it may cost you approximately another AUD$ 2500 - 3000
7- Concerning the time frame, I would say 1-2 months for Assessment of Engineers Australia, and from Date of application (6-9 months) , that would sum up approximately to 7-11 months over all procedure.
8- For Engineering jobs, i think it's very unlikely to land a job remotely, however I got a job offer online and traveled for negotiations, but most people would say it will be between 2-6 months to get a job in average, but after you land.
9- I would say also that Engineers are already in demand (I have checked Melbourne).

Also as a general advice for any types of Info, check the stickies on the top of the form, specially Please Read and Cost of Living, it can give you a large source to arrange your thinking.

I would be happy to answer any of your questions based on my own experience ( N.B. I am not yet in Australia although i visited there before, and I am not a migration agent)

Good Luck,

Regards,

M. Omar

Hi there

I'm very new to this forum in fact this is my first post :eek: I wonder if anyone could advise me on what I think may be a daft question...we're about to start the visa application process for a skilled visa 175 based on my husband's job as a senior mechanical engineer but as yet he doesn't have a job to go to. Is this quite common? Can we still look for jobs that may sponsor him whilst we're applying for the 175? Do we have to wait until we're in Oz before he can start looking?

It has taken me quite a time to even consider the move and now I want to get on with it as soon as poss I have advised him that it seems to be a 12mth process (approx) and he is cool with this.

Anyway I'm rambling...thanks in advance.
Caroline :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts