Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
Since four month I live with my family in Altea. Now fall is approaching and in about 3 month we will probably have to start heat up our “piso”. There is no such a thing as central heating in the place. I’ve heard that many people her do heat with some portable gas heaters, but was also informed that there is a certain danger with those things. Electric is probably better, but also probably very expensive? I do not know which way to go. Does someone, can give some advice about this?
Thanks in advance, eva33

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
heating

Hello everybody,
Since four month I live with my family in Altea. Now fall is approaching and in about 3 month we will probably have to start heat up our “piso”. There is no such a thing as central heating in the place. I’ve heard that many people her do heat with some portable gas heaters, but was also informed that there is a certain danger with those things. Electric is probably better, but also probably very expensive? I do not know which way to go. Does someone, can give some advice about this?
Thanks in advance, eva33
Hello Eve33
When you say "portable gas heaters" I suppose you mean the ones that you can move around and that work on bottled gas. They are probably your cheapest option. I think the danger is if you get an old model and you don't get it serviced. If you were going to get this type of heating I personally would buy new and get all the information about when you have to have it checked or cleaned or whatever from the seller.
Another option is an oil filled electric heater. As they are filled with oil the heat stays for longer. You can regulate the temperature on them. It's a cheaper option than just having electric heat.
Any more ideas out there??

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Hello Eve33
When you say "portable gas heaters" I suppose you mean the ones that you can move around and that work on bottled gas. They are probably your cheapest option. I think the danger is if you get an old model and you don't get it serviced. If you were going to get this type of heating I personally would buy new and get all the information about when you have to have it checked or cleaned or whatever from the seller.
Another option is an oil filled electric heater. As they are filled with oil the heat stays for longer. You can regulate the temperature on them. It's a cheaper option than just having electric heat.
Any more ideas out there??
the gas ones definitely work out the cheapest - & you can move them room to room (wouldn't want one in the bedroom though)

you need some ventilation if you are using them, and I found they dry the air, so always had a bowl of water nearby

those oil-filled rads use a lot of electricity

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello everybody,
Thanks in advance, eva33
The gas heaters do work out a little cheaper although surprisingly not that much. They do however cause condensation so you may end up with mouldly walls and clothes. A log burner gives out a huge amount of heat and is nice to look at There are diferetn types of electric heaters, for instance Leroy Merlin do ceramic panle heaters which give off a contsant heat and are low cost to run. Take a look around and check out the options

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everybody,
Thanks in advance, eva33
Hi
Probably a little late now but I have some heatres which are Convector heaters, they are very reasonable to buy and not expensive to run on the electric. They are Norwegian Beha heaters and so they are designed to keep Norwegian homes warm they work very well and have a dry heat so no problem with damp and condensation.
The website for the heaters is Neater Heater - Home
Have a look, we used them this year and they have made a big difference to our home.
:clap2:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Nikki many thanks for that. Hadn't seen them before :)

Always on the look out for something for our flat in Asturias. Problem is we are not there a lot so don't want to invest in anything elaborate but even with limited time there (and we are there in winter as well as summer - not sure they call it summer in Asturias? more the less wet season ;) ) the heating and dehumidifiers are the largest expense we have.

We really notice it when we are in Madrid where the heating and hot water are all inclusive and endless - spoilt rotten :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
Probably a little late now but I have some heatres which are Convector heaters, they are very reasonable to buy and not expensive to run on the electric. They are Norwegian Beha heaters and so they are designed to keep Norwegian homes warm they work very well and have a dry heat so no problem with damp and condensation.
The website for the heaters is Neater Heater - Home
Have a look, we used them this year and they have made a big difference to our home.
:clap2:
Thank you for the hint. By now the heathing period is nearly over. I did purchase some digital electric converters at carrefour. One brand called "Haverland" is quite good, but the other three, which are Carrefour's own brand, are not worth much. Until now my electricity bills are not as high as I did expect, but we had some days which were not very pleasant because of being cold.... Next year, if we are still at the same place, I will consider this Neater Heater's. Moraira is close to Altea, so I can go have a look before buying.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the hint. By now the heathing period is nearly over. I did purchase some digital electric converters at carrefour. One brand called "Haverland" is quite good, but the other three, which are Carrefour's own brand, are not worth much. Until now my electricity bills are not as high as I did expect, but we had some days which were not very pleasant because of being cold.... Next year, if we are still at the same place, I will consider this Neater Heater's. Moraira is close to Altea, so I can go have a look before buying.
Whoops... heating period is not over.....:(

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Aki were selling ceramic panel heaters which use a very small amount of electricty. They are very easy to install and plug into a nearby socket. A friend has two and say they work brilliantly.

The danger from the gas fires is that if the room is not ventilated then Carbon monoxide can build up. If the rooms is ventilated then they are perfectly safe.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
a wee tip for those with log burners. If you have one of the type that has an opening lid on the top, get some firebricks and put them in there...works just like a storage heater

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
a wee tip for those with log burners. If you have one of the type that has an opening lid on the top, get some firebricks and put them in there...works just like a storage heater

So now he tells us!!! I had one of those in my old house. We have nothing in this house but three halogen heaters, one for each bedroom and my trusted and faithful gas heater in the "well ventilated" sitting room! Oh and a oil filled radiator I use to dry the washing when its raining outside - its overworked!!!!!!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
So now he tells us!!! I had one of those in my old house. We have nothing in this house but three halogen heaters, one for each bedroom and my trusted and faithful gas heater in the "well ventilated" sitting room! Oh and a oil filled radiator I use to dry the washing when its raining outside - its overworked!!!!!!!!!

Jo xxx
But you'll know for next year!:D lol.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Insulate the house if possible.

Cheapest option is probably a catalytic gas heater or two. Buy new and make sure the hose and valve are fitted (both will have an expiry date!) if you are not confident in doing yourself. There is no problem with carbon monoxide - but they do need adequate ventilation - if you don't have that, then oxygen levels will drop. Not recommended for bedrooms. Fit a carbon monoxide monitor anyway - I do in spite of what I have written.

Electric heaters are electric heaters - can't see why one is more efficient than another - however there will be significant differences in how well they control temperature and distribute it around the room.

Log fires are fine. Love burning almond or olive. It is very dense and burns a long time. Use with a fire with closed doors. If you buy one with fans make you you are happy with the noise levels or can turn them off since some are thermostatically controlled and without an overide. If you plan to use with doors open you MUST fit a carbon monoxide monitor - personal experience here!

If you can afford the outlay fit air con with heat pump - very efficient but again you need to check noise levels. Heat pumps (depending on model) tend not to work with outside air temps less than about 5C - so get good advice.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
For us it is a log burner (the logs are free) which also heats the two bedrooms above and the attic. Otherwise we have a couple of gas fires which we move around as required.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
It's a bit depressing that the most popular thread on the Spanish forum is called heating the house.
I would go along with what another poster said about insulating the house. If you can, do it. I think that's one area where Spanish building doesn't really shine. We did some work on the house this year and we attacked the living room (as well as the kitchen as some of you may remember). We put in better radiators and better distributed, redid the insulation on the outside wall and put in much better quality patio doors which open inwards and are not sliding. We also have a wood fire in that room with outlets (?) upstairs. Thank GOODNESS we did it with all this cold we are having. We are as warm as toast now!!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
It's a bit depressing that the most popular thread on the Spanish forum is called heating the house.
I would go along with what another poster said about insulating the house. If you can, do it. I think that's one area where Spanish building doesn't really shine. We did some work on the house this year and we attacked the living room (as well as the kitchen as some of you may remember). We put in better radiators and better distributed, redid the insulation on the outside wall and put in much better quality patio doors which open inwards and are not sliding. We also have a wood fire in that room with outlets (?) upstairs. Thank GOODNESS we did it with all this cold we are having. We are as warm as toast now!!

Thats nice :(:tongue1::tongue1:

Jo xxx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
So, does that mean that you think my post is possibly the most boring you've ever read on the forum, or that you're insanely jealous of my red hot radiators??!!:)

I just might be a tad jealous of your red hot radiators????????LOL However, I have got my portable gas heater, which is never far away from me - it even comes to the loo with me at the mo cos its turned really cold here today !!!!! SUNNY SPAIN??? My @***!!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
79 Posts
This "With outlets upstairs" How dows that work?

Bob:confused2:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Although I don't feel the cold much even in Britain, except when it is our "Traditional" Damp and Cold.
I still intend to fit Central heating in the house in Spain, cos it does make it nice and cumfy.
And my OH dosn't keep very warm!
Probably not a bad idea as I intend to spend more and more time in Spain as time goes by.

Any advice on the Gas Combi boilers avaiable out here in Spain or would be advisable to bring a calor gas one from Britain if there is space for it.

My grand plan is to do underfloor heating downstairs as all the floors are going to be relaid with new tiles in the not too distant future, so while the floor is dug up I might as well put the piping in.

Bob

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.