Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

Just joined the forum today and wasn't quite able to find an answer to this question. I plan to go to Australia on a 457 later this year with my family (wife and two kids). I realize I won't qualify for medicare. Does anybody know what my options are to receive continuing care from one the local private insurance companies?

Is my only option to pay for private insurance and buy traveler's insurance in case any of the pre-existing conditions come up during the first 12 months? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Hammer,

Annual Travel Insurance rarely covers you for more than 60 days at a time. The policy is intended for multiple trips where you return to your country of origin within 60 days then go away again.

I lived in Thailand for some years and took out a global health policy with AXA Healthcare. Similar global products are available from Bupa.

Medibank and several other insurers are available in Australia and may offer a better rate than taking out a policy in the USA - where health insurance costs can be astronomical...

Good luck

AA

1 - 2 of 2 Posts