Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are below retirement age, resident in Spain paying for healthcare via insurance here so not benefiting from the S1 and the UK paying for my healthcare in Spain does that mean when in the UK you can use the NHS if you choose to. We may be over there a few months at a time and my healthcare policy works abroad but just wondering would I have the choice

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
If you are below retirement age, resident in Spain paying for healthcare via insurance here so not benefiting from the S1 and the UK paying for my healthcare in Spain does that mean when in the UK you can use the NHS if you choose to. We may be over there a few months at a time and my healthcare policy works abroad but just wondering would I have the choice
As I understand it, if you are not ordinarily resident in the UK and do not have an S1 form registered in an EU member state, then you are not eligible to use the NHS. I have an S1 as my husband's dependant and was advised by the Overseas Health Department of the DWP in Newcastle that I should carry a copy of my S1 with me when I visit the UK to prove my entitlement to NHS treatment should I need it when visiting the UK. If you don't have one, you would not be denied emergency treatment but could be billed for it.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I was able to use my ehic card to register as a temporary patient but I suspect that was mainly due to covid and post December I suspect that won’t happen again.

I usually take out travel insurance when going back to the U.K.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are covered with our insurance but it does just seem a bit unfair to me that people who come over here are not allowed to use the NHS when in the UK after they have paid into for years . It was only a few years ago when new residents here from the UK got S1 type cover for the first two years. I really can't see why this is the case.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
We are covered with our insurance but it does just seem a bit unfair to me that people who come over here are not allowed to use the NHS when in the UK after they have paid into for years . It was only a few years ago when new residents here from the UK got S1 type cover for the first two years. I really can't see why this is the case.
I agree to a degree. We were fortunate, we were some of the last people to be issued with an early retirement S1. However, healthcare in the U.K. is not based on payments in, but on residency whereas in Spain, it is contributions based. So you come here you pay in and receive or do not of you don’t pay on, in the U.K. you get it because you live there... although I think in the last few years they’ve introduced a payment of £3k if moving to the U.K.. I’m just thinking we are lucky that we will, as it stands now, benefit from healthcare via the NHS when we are in receipt of our pension in 4 years

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Because people voted for a Conservative Government which withdrew those residual S1s (and the Winter Fuel Allowance from UK pensioners resident in most EU countries thanks to IDS's temperature test), although wealthy UK pensioners who may spend the whole of the winter in much warmer climates still receive it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I get my residency I too will benefit from the S1 in 3 1/2 years but that is why I think people should be allowed to benefit from the NHS until then when in the UK
As Lynn said she can get it in the UK because she is married to somebody of pensionable age who has an S1 that is quite right too but allowances should be made for people who cannot benefit from an S1 again I get cover from my insurance so I don't need it but that's not the point.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
If I get my residency I too will benefit from the S1 in 3 1/2 years but that is why I think people should be allowed to benefit from the NHS until then when in the UK
As Lynn said she can get it in the UK because she is married to somebody of pensionable age who has an S1 that is quite right too but allowances should be made for people who cannot benefit from an S1 again I get cover from my insurance so I don't need it but that's not the point.
We were lucky, we did get the residual S1s when we first moved here in 2006, but we were still not entitled to use the NHS when visiting the UK then. I wrote to my GP deregistering from the practice just before we moved.

Actually, despite what I've said the systems tend to be very lax in the UK and unlike here, people don't have to produce a tarjeta sanitaria to prove their entitlement to healthcare, so you might not even be questioned about your right to treatment - unless you have a foreign accent or non-white skin colour, that is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have chosen to leave the UK and live full time overseas so why should you get NHS treatment on your visits back, a bit cheeky to expect it.

Its like you paying into an insurance plan for years then you stop paying. Some time later you die, would you expect the insurance company to stump up the benefits of a plan you chose to cancel? No, of course you wouldn't, so don't expect the NHS to stump up either, take out insurance for your visits.

·
Registered
38,901 Posts
You have chosen to leave the UK and live full time overseas so why should you get NHS treatment on your visits back, a bit cheeky to expect it.

Its like you paying into an insurance plan for years then you stop paying. Some time later you die, would you expect the insurance company to stump up the benefits of a plan you chose to cancel? No, of course you wouldn't, so don't expect the NHS to stump up either, take out insurance for your visits.
It's not quite as cut-and-dried as that. Those who have S1 get their healthcare cost in EU paid for by the UK government (just as EU citizens with equivalent certificate get their medical cost in UK covered by their government). So when such people return home temporarily, their government continues to foot their medical bill, either through an insurance scheme or residence-based universal healthcare like NHS. Those who don't qualify for S1 and have to pay for their healthcare in EU either privately or by contributing to state health scheme will not get free NHS treatment except for emergencies.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Gosh! I hope you enjoyed your little rant and feel better for it. I see you are a new member, welcome to the forum.
Do you receive healthcare here in Spain?. If so who pays for it?
I live mostly in the UK at the minute but if I get my residency that will change. I won't be in receipt of free treatment here via the S1 and I was hoping to benefit from NHS if I chose to even though I have cover for the five months I would be in the UK looking after elderly in laws.
Anyway, you have a nice day and keep your blood pressure down, we wouldn't want you using up your entitlements.

·
Registered
497 Posts
After Jan 1st. 2021 taking up residence in Spain becomes an entirely different thing to what it is now as EU citizen and beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement and it's that which disqualifies you from NHS care.

As a residence based system the NHS is not geared to cater for those who have left to reside elsewhere but choose to return for extended visits.

For anyone returning to UK your rights to care will be dependent on passing the 'ordinarily resident' test.

Plenty of info on that here

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you are a holder of an S1 you are still entitled to NHS treatment on your visits to the UK. Make sure you take your S1 with you on your visit.

Steve

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just keep an address in the UK....family or friend......and stay registered with your GP.
There are NO checks done so they don´t know where you live really. That´s why it´s known as the International Health Service.
It is not that long ago that citizens of Ireland, Poland and Spain used to come to the UK to have an abortion because it was forbidden in their country...and it was all paid for by the British taxpayer.
It is my opinion that if you have worked in the UK for 40 odd years and paid taxes and then decide to move to another country, that you should have the right to use the NHS. You have paid for it.
It is very common for people to fly into the UK..present themselves at A&E and get treatment.....gratis.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Just keep an address in the UK....family or friend......and stay registered with your GP.
There are NO checks done so they don´t know where you live really. That´s why it´s known as the International Health Service.
It is not that long ago that citizens of Ireland, Poland and Spain used to come to the UK to have an abortion because it was forbidden in their country...and it was all paid for by the British taxpayer.
It is my opinion that if you have worked in the UK for 40 odd years and paid taxes and then decide to move to another country, that you should have the right to use the NHS. You have paid for it.
It is very common for people to fly into the UK..present themselves at A&E and get treatment.....gratis.

Only thing you forgot to mention: its illegal

·
Administrator
35,871 Posts
Which of course is why I recieved a bill of 10,000 GBP for treatment my late husband received in the UK. British, had worked & paid tax there until we moved to Spain. For his own stupid reasons he didn't have a TSE - but thankfully he had travel / health insurance which picked up the bill.

He wasn't refused the emergency treatment. BUT after his death I was sent the bill.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Which of course is why I recieved a bill of 10,000 GBP for treatment my late husband received in the UK. British, had worked & paid tax there until we moved to Spain. For his own stupid reasons he didn't have a TSE - but thankfully he had travel / health insurance which picked up the bill.

He wasn't refused the emergency treatment. BUT after his death I was sent the bill.
Ask the NHS how much they have billed foreign patients....and then ask them how much of that they have actually recovered. Not very much.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Only thing you forgot to mention: its illegal
Then it must be illegal for foreign patients to fly in...receive treatment at A&E.... and then fly out again.
Yes of course. If a Chinese person flies to UK, goes to Aand E and says he is visiting UK but would like to be treated for a minor illness then the treatment would not be free. If the man gives a UK address and a UK GP practice then he is lying and is acting illegally

1 - 20 of 83 Posts