Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Healthcare comparisons

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Isobella 
#1 · (Edited)
[

Can't get S1 for early retirement

I also am an English teacher. Although based on some of my posts on here you'd be hard pressed to believe it!

I am working because

I get health care as autonomo ( as does my husband) for € 280 pm but more importantly we will get healthcare when we retire as we will apply for our Spanish pension first topped up by our U.K. State. As don't believe the U.K. will fund future retirees healthcare however old you are. They don't fund outside the EU so no shock there
It would serve May's Brexit government right, if all those Brit's coming up to retirement in Spain or already retired to Spain
but ( for one reason or another ) will be ineligible for State funded healthcare in Spain, once the UK pulls the purse
strings after leaving the EU ( if it should come to that ??? )

Simply up sticks and moved back to the UK en-masse, to become an even bigger burden on the UK's already overstretched
NHS & other Health care systems.

#5 · (Edited)
They're so bad, apparently, that the worst performing hospital (Carlos Haya) has an average waiting time of 86 days (ie less than 3 months) for surgery where the target time is 180 days, and has reduced their average waiting time for surgery where the target time is 120 days from 62 days to 52 days.

The other main hospital in Málaga capital, Clínico Universatorio, has average waiting times of 49 days for 180 day target surgery and 34 for 120 day target surgery. That seems very good to me, and the article point out that this particular hospital has achieved substantial reductions in waiting times in the past year.

I think it's good that the Andalucian Health Service publishes such detailed and transparent figures.

#10 ·
" 350 million euros promised to the NHS by Boris Johnson today."
You need to actually listen to what he said and not what the idiot press reported. The UK 'gives' to the EU £350 million a week and the EU then gives some of that back - but it tells the UK where and how to spend it. Boris quite rightly says that therefore this 'rebate' is not UK money as it doesn't belong to the UK.
He actually said 'Wouldn't it be nice if some of that was spent on the NHS? Doesn't sound like a promise to me but probably did to the wet behind the ears researcher who googled it.

#11 · (Edited)
" 350 million euros promised to the NHS by Boris Johnson today."
The UK 'gives' to the EU £350 million a week and the EU then gives some of that back - but it tells the UK where and how to spend it.
I know we went through all this prior to the referendum vote, so it's disappointing to see if still being trotted out. The UK rebate is never actually paid to the EU so no, they don't give some of it back.

And the EU does not tell the UK where and how to spend it. The UK Government decides how and where to spend EU funds which are allocated to it (as does the Spanish Government). See this link, and particularly the words "In view of this the UK Government has decided to re-allocate EU structural funds ....".

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/allocation-of-eu-structural-funding-across-the-uk

When an organisation in the UK wants to apply for EU Social Fund grants, for example, they don't submit their funding bid to some office in Brussels. It goes to whichever UK Government Department has devolved responsibility for making the funding decisions - the Home Office, in the case of the voluntary organisation I used to work for and was closely involved in putting together funding bids and submitting the regular monitoring reports ehich are required if the application is successful. All the EU does is decide on the broad policy areas which funding should be directed to, and it is then up to member state governments to divide up the amount of funding they are allocated under the various streams.

#15 ·
I am confused, the J de A is said to spend €1000 pa per person (in the North it's €1500) yet I remember reading that the UK pays €3500 to Spain for each pensioner.:confused:

Impossible to get a real figure as to how much is spent to what is paid out. Many do still go back to UK for treatment as they want to be in familiar surroundings. Others move back if they become seriously ill. Then there are many Pensioners who claim to have private health care. When I looked and found the article above there was quite a lot of Spanish articles that implied Spain gives free health care to British, German etc. Pensioners.

I did read below the Sur article a Spaniard saying it wasn't true as his wife had waited 100+ days. Although he could be lying, as could those who claim to be in and out in a couple of weeks...we shall never know

#17 ·
I think there is a lot of confusing and misleading information published in both the Spanish and British media about these issues. As you say, many Spanish sources imply that Spain gives free health care to foreign pensioners, whilst the British media makes much of how many millions of pounds the UK pays to Spain for healthcare without making clear how much of that relates to treatment provided for tourists under the EHIC scheme.

As the waiting times publicised by official sources are averages, naturally there will be those who have waited longer, just as there will be those who were treated more quickly than the average. After all, that's how averages are arrived at, no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.