Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at the forum sticky but can't find what I'm looking for.! I have a health card issued about 5 years ago-but have not used the state health system as I've been privately insured.
I believe now I have to register with a GP at the local health centre otherwise I will not be entitled to health care in the future.
Tomorrow I'm heading for the health centre to register with a GP--do I need any other paperwork to do that apart from my health card? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Looked at the forum sticky but can't find what I'm looking for.! I have a health card issued about 5 years ago-but have not used the state health system as I've been privately insured.
I believe now I have to register with a GP at the local health centre otherwise I will not be entitled to health care in the future.
Tomorrow I'm heading for the health centre to register with a GP--do I need any other paperwork to do that apart from my health card? Thanks.
What health card do you have?
Are you of pensionable age?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has it got an expiry date on it ?
Normally if you have the card , you have a doctor /health centre ( consultorio ) allocated to you already.
No-no expiry date. NIE and my health number only. Maybe I do have a GP allocated then- but never used them..........perhaps I'll just pop in tomorrow with my passport for ID and see what happens...............
I was just concerned in case I could not use the state system if and when I need to with the new health changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No-no expiry date. NIE and my health number only. Maybe I do have a GP allocated then- but never used them..........perhaps I'll just pop in tomorrow with my passport for ID and see what happens...............
I was just concerned in case I could not use the state system if and when I need to with the new health changes.

I have a blue health card issued by a doctor in my area (no choice had to register with who I was told) seem to remember taking my NIE, passport and empadronamiento it took a long time to get the card (18 months - 2 years) but I had a yellow sheet of paper to prove I was in the system should I need a doctor or hospital. Fortunately I have needed neither in the last 8 years.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Popped into the Health Centre-receptionist swiped my green card--gave me the name of my GP and asked if I would I like an appointment today? So no problems.
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts