Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, myself and my wife are considering a move to France, Marseilles in particular where I will have arranged full time employment.
My wife suffers from Cystic Fibrosis and as such needs alot of medical assistance mostly in the form of the medicine she is required to take daily, but also to receiving quarterly checkups and assistance in case of infections, sometimes hospitalisation.
In Ireland she can get all this from the state, and my question is what would the situation be if we were to move?
Would the French government provide the same assistance immediately on our arrival or what would be the necessary steps to reach this point?
Thanks for you responses...
TV

·
Administrator
49,785 Posts
If you're moving to take up employment, there should be no problem with the health care coverage. I would still get one of those EHIC cards to see you through the transition - but in theory at least, your new employer should sign you up on your first day for the national health care program and whatever mutuelle they offer.

You may want to check on the mutuelle coverage for your new employer. The mutuelle usually makes up the difference between the cost of services and the amount the national system reimburses. You'll also want to contact a "medecin traitant" as soon as possible, as treatment sometimes varies between countries for chronic illnesses like CF.

As someone with a chronic illness, there's a fair chance your wife will receive 100% reimbursement of most treatment, but that can take a while to get you registered for.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.