Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

I am an irish citizen living in the middle east and moving to france permanently. I have a question about health insurance and what i am entitled to once there. I no from reading the irish consulate website that holidaying in france one can apply for the E111 form but they do not mention anything about moving permanently to another EU country.I am in the medical profession and know about taking out a private medical insurance. i will not be working for at least a year once going there and hope to become pregnant in that year so this is why im concerned...i guess my question is do france provide maternity care for all like the NHS? or as a non french person are we exempt and should have a private insurance.
anyone who has had to deal with health insurane in france i would greatly appreciate your feedback....thanks :)

·
Administrator
48,479 Posts
The way the French healthcare system works, you have to be paying in somehow to get the benefits. As an Irish citizen living in Qatar, you may be in a slightly awkward situation as it kind of depends on what your health insurance status is with Ireland at the moment.

Normally, those coming from other EU countries get the appropriate paperwork from their home system, basically attesting to their eligibility for coverage in their home system. The E111 has now been replaced by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This will give you coverage for a certain period of time in France while looking for a job. Might be best to check with the Irish consulate to find out if you're eligible for an EHIC.

The EHIC coverage is supposed to be at a level equal with French residents covered by the system - and French coverage for maternity benefits is actually very good. You should be aware, however, that the French system is a reimbursement system. You pay the doctor, lab or whatever and then you are reimbursed by the state system.

If you're going to France with a spouse or partner, you can probably be covered under their state health cover, assuming they work. (If you're not married, you should consider getting PACS'd - a form of civil union that makes the partner's benefits clear.)
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.