Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Health insurance

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dan boy 
#1 ·
I am wanting to move to NZ i wanted to know how much health insurance cost for my family which consist of myself (35) wife (28) sons (10/8) daughter (3 months)
as i know NZ is different to the UK health system (i.e) don't pay for visits to doctor etc, just so i can get a understanding of how much it will cost to live in NZ would be grateful for any help.. thanks Dan

#2 ·
Hi there
If you want to look at private health insurance, try Southern Cross Healthcare Group.

However, unlike many countries, it isn't essential to have insurance. The health service here is similar to the UK (some variations, but generally the ballpark cost to you will be the same). And like the UK, non-urgent treatment will take longer than if you went privately.

Some will beg to differ with me - but we've had to use the health service here for both urgent (heart attack) and non-urgent (minor hernia) treatments, and have been very pleasantly surprised. But we do live near Auckland - in more out of the way places there will be differences.

#3 ·
hi top cat

thanks for getting back to me very helpful info,i wanted to no because i heard you have to pay if you go to doctors like for cold,pains,just don't feel well etc,and it could cost $20-$30 for each visit and with 3 kids could work out a lot of money over the year thanks again Dan...

#4 ·
^ differences in definition of 'healthcare'; yes there are public hospitals, but visits to a GP cost - I was paying $70 per visit in Wellington 4 years ago but costs have decreased since the introduction of Primary Health Organisations (PHO) as I see the practice I used to attend on the list attached; add $15 (2008 rate, unsure now) for a prescription from the GP, then the pharmacy charges, a dose of flu can add up.

I found this link from Wellington District Health Board, dated 19 January 2012, giving the fees - and showing the variances - for GP visits in that region

GP practice fees in the C&C DHB district

Note rates for children under 6 vary from zero to $30 per visit; $65 appears to be top rate for an adult.

#6 ·
^ some policies offer a percentage return, I think up to 80% but of course this is reflected in a higher premium, I had one of these policies for years an doubt I came anywhere near recovering the fees I paid (their ideal client!), I cancelled with a change of employer that had an employee scheme, I joined for 50% refunds for a minimal weekly fee.
With a family/children I'd suggest you get a few online quotes and do some calcs of your own re cost/benefit. Also check on existing conditions and whether they are covered eg asthma medication.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.