Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are moving to Paris and I was told at the Prefecture that we require health insurance before I can get my titre de sejour. We had Kaiser Permanente in the U.S. and it extends to travel outside of the U.S. provided we return (of course).

How do we get health insurance in France if I'm not a citizen yet? My husband and I were going to once the citizenship was in order. He's an EU national of England.

Thanks. I'd love to hear stories from anyone who have gone through it.:confused2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
My husband and I are moving to Paris and I was told at the Prefecture that we require health insurance before I can get my titre de sejour. We had Kaiser Permanente in the U.S. and it extends to travel outside of the U.S. provided we return (of course).

How do we get health insurance in France if I'm not a citizen yet? My husband and I were going to once the citizenship was in order. He's an EU national of England.

Thanks. I'd love to hear stories from anyone who have gone through it.:confused2:
You can get a travel policy that will cover you for one year
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
51,532 Posts
Health coverage in France is not based on nationality - it's based on contributions to the social insurance system (generally through your work). Unless your husband has been covered recently by the UK health system, he may not be eligible for reciprocal coverage in France.

You may want to take a look at joining AARO (Association of Americans Resident Overseas)which is an expat association for Americans that offers health insurance coverage. AARO?s Health Care Program for Expatriate America There are a couple levels of coverage, but they are all set up for Americans who need coverage in order to get their titre de séjour.
Cheers,
Bev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Health coverage in France is not based on nationality - it's based on contributions to the social insurance system (generally through your work). Unless your husband has been covered recently by the UK health system, he may not be eligible for reciprocal coverage in France.

You may want to take a look at joining AARO (Association of Americans Resident Overseas)which is an expat association for Americans that offers health insurance coverage. AARO?s Health Care Program for Expatriate America There are a couple levels of coverage, but they are all set up for Americans who need coverage in order to get their titre de séjour.
Cheers,
Bev
Bev,
I recently heard (I don't know if is accurate) that once a person has paid income taxes they are eligible to participate in the health plan. If I pay taxes on my retirement, etc, would I be eligible? How can I find out for sure? thanks,
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
51,532 Posts
Bev,
I recently heard (I don't know if is accurate) that once a person has paid income taxes they are eligible to participate in the health plan. If I pay taxes on my retirement, etc, would I be eligible? How can I find out for sure? thanks,
I suspect that's a misinterpretation. If you talk to the AARO folks, there are members there who have been living in France for years, paying taxes on their retirement benefits, and they still have to show proof of health insurance each year when they renew their titre de séjour.
Cheers,
Bev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
I suspect that's a misinterpretation. If you talk to the AARO folks, there are members there who have been living in France for years, paying taxes on their retirement benefits, and they still have to show proof of health insurance each year when they renew their titre de séjour.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks... I don't know why the difference of getting taxes thru an employer or a retirement account... the same taxes.. should be the same health coverage benefits.. I will check when I get there. thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Merci mille fois, Bev

Health coverage in France is not based on nationality - it's based on contributions to the social insurance system (generally through your work). Unless your husband has been covered recently by the UK health system, he may not be eligible for reciprocal coverage in France.

You may want to take a look at joining AARO (Association of Americans Resident Overseas)which is an expat association for Americans that offers health insurance coverage. \AARO?s Health Care Program for Expatriate America[/url] There are a couple levels of coverage, but they are all set up for Americans who need coverage in order to get their titre de séjour.
Cheers,
Bev
Thank you so much for the helpful link and the detailed explanation. Have a great evening!:clap2:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
51,532 Posts
Thanks... I don't know why the difference of getting taxes thru an employer or a retirement account... the same taxes.. should be the same health coverage benefits.. I will check when I get there. thanks,
Taxes don't pay for health coverage in France. Cotisations do. They are separate taxes - and with cotisations, the employer pays the biggest chunk. You don't have anyone paying the employer's chunk on your retirement.

For cotisations, the employee pays about 20% of their gross salary. The employer pays around 40% of the employee's gross - for a total of 60%. I doubt you want to fork over that big a chunk of your retirement benefits.
Cheers,
Bev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Taxes don't pay for health coverage in France. Cotisations do. They are separate taxes - and with cotisations, the employer pays the biggest chunk. You don't have anyone paying the employer's chunk on your retirement.

For cotisations, the employee pays about 20% of their gross salary. The employer pays around 40% of the employee's gross - for a total of 60%. I doubt you want to fork over that big a chunk of your retirement benefits.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks for the explanation Bev... Just trying to find a way to reduce the medical cost expenses. As you may know, the Medicaid costs are high and essentially provide little or no benefit to an Expat in Europe. However, if you fail to sign up for them and later wish to do so, there is a 10% per year penalty when you do sign up. So, it 'forces' one to sign up. Then, of course, one has to buy a separate health plan in Europe which, in itself, is somewhat pricey. So essentially you but two plans and probably don't benefit much by either... I guess my best bet is to try to shop for cheapest plan when I move over to France.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Bev... Just trying to find a way to reduce the medical cost expenses. As you may know, the Medicaid costs are high and essentially provide little or no benefit to an Expat in Europe. However, if you fail to sign up for them and later wish to do so, there is a 10% per year penalty when you do sign up. So, it 'forces' one to sign up. Then, of course, one has to buy a separate health plan in Europe which, in itself, is somewhat pricey. So essentially you but two plans and probably don't benefit much by either... I guess my best bet is to try to shop for cheapest plan when I move over to France.....
Hello,

If you do not have access to the local social security in France, you can also take a private insurance at 1st Euro.

I know a new solution that is developped by Allianz Worldwide Care that covers health for expats living in France.
This solution gives you a good quality /prices / services ratio and is available in Euro, USD or UK £.

You can have a look at this solution's website at assurance-sante-expatrie net
This website is all in French but you can ask for further information in English.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top